PDA

View Full Version : Wife spared prison for ‘McMissile’

thedrifter
02-21-07, 07:55 PM
Wife spared prison for ‘McMissile’

The Associated Press
Posted : Wednesday Feb 21, 2007 17:56:47 EST

STAFFORD, Va. — A woman who hurled a McDonald’s cup of ice into a car that cut her off in traffic was sentenced to probation instead of prison Wednesday.

Jessica Hall, 25, could have gotten two years behind bars after being convicted last month of maliciously throwing a missile — the cup of ice — into an occupied vehicle in what was dubbed the “McMissile” case. No one was injured in the incident last July on Interstate 95.

Hall thanked Judge Frank A. Hoss Jr. and wept after he put her on probation for five years. She has been in jail since Jan. 4.

Prosecutor Daniel M. Chichester wanted her sent to prison, saying, “It is important to remember that it is not what is thrown but the danger created by that act that Virginia law seeks to protect against.”

Hall said traffic had slowed to a crawl when another car cut her off twice, once causing her to swerve onto the shoulder. She flung the cup of ice into the other car, and it landed all over the driver’s girlfriend.

The Jacksonville, N.C., woman is a mother of three, and her husband is serving his third tour in Iraq. She said she was planning to go to nursing school.

“Now people are going to see me as an angry, road-rage, convicted felon. And it really upsets me,” she told The Washington Post. “I must have been wrong ... but seriously, God. Lesson learned. Lesson learned is one hour in this place.”

Ellie