PDA

View Full Version : Need some help for PT

futuresoldier08
02-21-07, 09:06 AM
I'm a 17 year old female and I've decided to start preparing for boot a little early so i need some advice on good workouts, strengthening and building my endurance. I am a fairly decent athlete. I can run 2.5 miles in 18 minutes but i would like to quicken my pace. I also need help with push ups. I can only do 50 in 2 minute and that's my major weakness. Any suggestions?

SkilletsUSMC
02-21-07, 11:58 AM
My first sugestion is to change your name.

davecerami275
02-21-07, 12:15 PM
do some research and tell us what the appropriate acronyms for Marine are

futuresoldier08
02-21-07, 12:36 PM
Sir, Yes Sir.

I have already created a new profile with a more appropriate name

hmckinley
02-21-07, 12:40 PM
Young lady, when you do get to bootcamp, call one of your D.I.'s a soldier, you will quickly find out the difference between a Marine and a soldier.

YLDNDN6
02-21-07, 03:03 PM
You wanna get into shape??? For the whole soldier thing, just drop and give me 50 dangitall!!!

matrix
02-21-07, 03:20 PM
Hey there little lady. First thing drop the soilder phrase. Not alot of people can claim the title of United States Marine. In order to get in better shape before joining the marine corps you need to learn all of your weakness and then push yourself past them. This will take time donot try to break any land speed records on your first attempt. Do not run for speed. Instead run for distance. I myself was never a speed runner. I am a long distance runner. I'm not saing that I am slow (3 miles -19 minutes) I have ran some marrathons.What I'm saing is that you need to know your limits and goals. meet them and presson to bigger and better goals. Once you ars where you want to be. Always try to accomplish more always do your best at everything that you do in life. Because when it's all over and you stand alone you do not want to look back and ask yourself the (What if's) If you truely did your best there will be no questions in your mind. Good luck on your trainning. If you have some more questions or feeling alittle shakey feel free to E-mail Me . My E-mail- Myloving3sons@aol.com I will respond...Semper Fi

Echo_Four_Bravo
02-21-07, 05:26 PM
A female that is able to run 2.5 miles in 18 minutes doesn't need to speed up. You're doing just fine. Pushups aren't a measured event, and being able to do 50 in two minutes is fine. Just keep doing whatever it is you're doing. You're on the right track.

Marine84
02-21-07, 05:58 PM
You're doing fine - hell, I never did ANY of the stuff before I went and I made it through. Something that may help with the pushups (if you aren't already doing it) - do them from your knees up................our center of gravity is different from a man's so some of us have to do them with our knees on the deck. If you can do them like a man can - go for it! If not, try putting them knees on the floor - it works the same parts as doing them like a man.

NowArmyMP
02-21-07, 06:04 PM
hahah. now the new recruit is getting ribbed for using the nomer soldier lol. soldier is a generic term as well :) lol

NowArmyMP
02-21-07, 06:06 PM
newbie, try do some pyramids for upper body strength. do push-ups and/or pullups. try at 3 then work your way up then vice versa. do this 3 times a week. for increasing your speed at running, mix sprints into your mix or do fartlek training once a week. that should help you. but keep consistent and you shall always improve. good luck. ask your recruiters as well if they dont want to set you up for failure.

hmckinley
02-21-07, 06:18 PM
hahah. now the new recruit is getting ribbed for using the nomer soldier lol. soldier is a generic term as well :) lol I love to play silly games, you mentioned office hours in the marine corps last week or so when I asked about your re-enlistment code. The only office hours I remember was things like being awarded the naval commendation metal, standing in front of the CO's where ever I was at and being promoted meritoursly to E-6, E-7 and E-8 and if you're interested do the research with your computer knowledge. What a fricking snip!

SkilletsUSMC
02-21-07, 07:45 PM
hahah. now the new recruit is getting ribbed for using the nomer soldier lol. soldier is a generic term as well :) lol

Oh my God.

If this poolie was going into the Army, then her name would be plenty apropriate, and we woulndt flip her any ****. If he/she were going into the Navy, futuresailor08 would be fine. But he/she is Depping into the Marine Corps so Soldier, as generic as you may believe it to be, does not fit.

Look at YOUR Army. Rangers are very proud of being Rangers, Paratroopers likewise. They RATE to be addressed as such, and I will do so out of respect. NowArmyMP, If you have love for the army then fine by all means be happy about your service. BUT it is MY job as an NCO of Marines to indoctirnate a strong love for our Corps. That is accomplished by refusing to be known as a generic soldier. Thats what sets us apart. Generic just aint good enough.

davecerami275
02-22-07, 08:55 AM

last time i checked the only appropriate acronymns for Marine are Devil Dog or Leatherneck

Marine84
02-22-07, 09:57 AM
last time i checked the only appropriate acronymns for Marine are Devil Dog or Leatherneck

or BAM!

NowArmyMP
02-22-07, 10:29 AM
lol its just a name. hmm hey old timer hmkinley, office hours is a eupherism for non-judicial punishment. congrats on the "meritoriously" promotions. the army doesnt have the luxury of that.

junior NCO skillet, you need to relax during these topics. you take things so personally and you feel that I am attacking your personally which I am not. I feel anyone who serves should be proud serving. I am proud of all my accomplishments and service to this nation in the army and the marines corps. I known many marines who served in other branches of the armed forces and they are very proud to continue their service regardless of the paths they have chosen. I think its funny how people could vent in a manner on this site or any other website; but when its a personal face to face conversation this wouldnt generate such responses lol. when I was in Kuwait and Iraq and talking to marines, junior NCOs and non-rates, their demeanor was very respectful and relaxed when talking to NCO soldiers. anyway, finished clearing and leaving fort campbell in a week. I bid adios and enjoy your weekend. take care gents.

davecerami275
02-22-07, 11:15 AM
or BAM!

when i mas a mp on the island i responded to a disturbance at the commissary or px (dont remember which one). when i arrived there was a WM going off on a Marine. jumping dead square in his a$$ with both feet. took me about ten seconds to figure out what happened. the Marine popped off at the mouth, made a BAM comment and the wrong WM heard him. trust me, i was more concerned for the safety of the male Marine. i just got back in my patrol car and LMAO

SkilletsUSMC
02-22-07, 06:37 PM
lol its just a name. hmm hey old timer hmkinley, office hours is a eupherism for non-judicial punishment. congrats on the "meritoriously" promotions. the army doesnt have the luxury of that.

junior NCO skillet, you need to relax during these topics. you take things so personally and you feel that I am attacking your personally which I am not. I feel anyone who serves should be proud serving. I am proud of all my accomplishments and service to this nation in the army and the marines corps. I known many marines who served in other branches of the armed forces and they are very proud to continue their service regardless of the paths they have chosen. I think its funny how people could vent in a manner on this site or any other website; but when its a personal face to face conversation this wouldnt generate such responses lol. when I was in Kuwait and Iraq and talking to marines, junior NCOs and non-rates, their demeanor was very respectful and relaxed when talking to NCO soldiers. anyway, finished clearing and leaving fort campbell in a week. I bid adios and enjoy your weekend. take care gents.

Roger that...

Interestingly enough, I saw it as you who was getting your skivies in a bunch. You should know well that Marines dont use the term soldier, just like we dont use the term airman or sailor. You should also know that poolies and wannabes are allways addressed firmly when they make mistakes.

As for the Junior NCO thing, Im not even sure that was supposed to be a dig at me. I guess In the army corporal is a Junior NCO, but just to remind you, in the Marine Corps ist just an NCO. If Corporal is refered to as a Junior NCO, I have yet to hear it. But what ever man. I am proud of my rank and what I have done thus far in my military career just as you should be right sarge?;) BTW I led a sqaud of 12 Marines In comabt in Iraq as a Corporal, which is a SSGT billet in the army :banana:

killerinstinct
02-23-07, 09:02 AM
I'm a 17 year old female and I've decided to start preparing for boot a little early so i need some advice on good workouts, strengthening and building my endurance. I am a fairly decent athlete. I can run 2.5 miles in 18 minutes but i would like to quicken my pace. I also need help with push ups. I can only do 50 in 2 minute and that's my major weakness. Any suggestions?

as you can see.. Marines love to shoot the **** and argue during downtime. let us not forget spades. this topic has turned from your original question

deppen
02-28-07, 08:48 PM
Future Marine,

I can understand why some of the post are what they are. So take them for what there worth. My advice to you is to increase your intensity. Don't train for a 3 mile race by running 3 miles, run 4. I would Do distances on Mondays, Sprints on Tuesdays, No running on Wednesday Run another day of distance and Friday do some cardio in the gym or sprints... Dont forget your Flex arm hang and crunches.

Semper Fi

SSgt Deppen