PDA

View Full Version : Aircrew Chief

RuffNight2007
02-21-07, 12:00 AM
I looked on about.com to see if there were any vision requirements for aircrew chief. None, besides normal color vision. My eye sight sucks.
Anyway, I was told by a Marine who is a crew chief that if your eye sight is worse then 20/200 (which mine sadly is) you will only have a chance to work on C130's by being a load master or flight mechanic. Can anyone back this up?

LDO Capt
02-21-07, 12:08 PM
Your eyesight must be correctable to 20/20 to be on flight status.

RuffNight2007
02-21-07, 12:11 PM
So basically, it doesn't matter how bad your eye sight is? As long as its correctable to 20/20 I can have any job in the aircrew field?

LDO Capt
02-21-07, 12:19 PM
Yes as long as your correctable to 20/20, and can pass aircrew canidate school, and have the ASVAB scores and there is an opening.

RuffNight2007
02-21-07, 05:51 PM
Yeah but just cause you pass aircrew canidate school doesn't mean I'd qualify for all the jobs within the field, does it?

LoCapitano
02-21-07, 06:07 PM
Sir, What I was telling him on aim is that he can complete the NACCS school but once he goes in for a flight physical his eye sight might limit him to fixed wing aircrafts only...

RuffNight2007
02-22-07, 10:01 AM
Bump =P

LDO Capt
02-22-07, 11:57 AM
That may be true, not really sure, I was a rotor guy. As far as I know a flight physical was a flight physical, but you may be right with the FW/RW thing. But don't you first have to pass a flight physical to get to NACCS? As well as the other prerequisits for a A/C MOS? It wouldn't make sense to send anyone to NACCS who wasn't qualified, infact I had already been to the helo basic course and ADJ school before I went to NACCS. It may have changed, that was over 20 years ago now.

LoCapitano
02-22-07, 06:32 PM
I am not quite sure how the officer NACCS works sir, But for enlisted, its a 5 week corse first week is swim build up where you get to work on your swimming, Preparing you for the navy quals.... Second week is mostly indoc and paper work, On the 3rd training day of that week you go in for your initial exam, then on the second week of training, Which is PT/Swim Qual week you go in on tuesday for your follow up and to get your actual Flight physical...

Of corse they make sure you meet all the prerequisits before you leave MCT for pensacola, but on the flight physical paper it self, it says "Recommend subject individual be found physically qualified and aeronautically adapted for duty involving flight as:"

and under Class 2 it says " AC/SAR (which is Rotory) and AC/FW"

If you only have AC/FW checked you are limited to fixed wing only...

I have seen exceptions to it, Such as for the MV-22... In my Mech class right now there is a marine with bad eyesight but then again I'm not sure if they have decided whether or not to consider it FW or RW at NACCS when assigning platforms...