PDA

View Full Version : What was your most hated part of recruit training?

Achped
02-20-07, 02:40 PM
It can be an entire week (i.e. swim qual, rifle range, etc) or just one particular night in the field, or one afternoon with you and a DI :sick:

Besides the entire experience on the island, what do you REALLY pray you never ever have to do again.

killerinstinct
02-20-07, 03:39 PM
mess week

Quinbo
02-20-07, 03:42 PM
Squad Bay West.

We used to drill in the squad bay and in order for us to to have a place to drill we moved every daggone thing in there to the west side. Too slow get back. Freeze private freeze. Try that while holding a bunk bed 6 inches off the ground. ;)

davecerami275
02-20-07, 05:25 PM
no doubt: mess week $uxxxxxxxxxxxxxed

ZSKI
02-20-07, 06:24 PM
honestly the last 2 weeks, i was so ****ing bored i nearly killed myself.

ggyoung
02-20-07, 06:54 PM
Sgt. Bevelhaymer. After my 1st Vietnam tour I run into him at 29Palms. I then thanked very much.

The1stSgt
02-20-07, 07:24 PM
Forming week. It was very high stress, total chaos and demoralizing.
Our Drill Instructors did a very good job of breaking us down. :evilgrin:

cplbrooks
02-20-07, 09:54 PM
I hated the mini-grinder which is what we called what Sgt. Bulkyker is referring to. It sucked to have to move every single rack and foot locker etc all the way to the other side of the squad bay.

I also hated the gas chamber. Unfortunately i have to requal in the gas chamber this week. Not looking forward to it.

jinelson
02-20-07, 10:19 PM
Receiving had to be the absolute worst with mess week being a close second.

Jim

Echo_Four_Bravo
02-20-07, 10:54 PM
MRP was pretty horrible.

Sgt. Messick is someone that could still scare me to death. A man that large should not be allowed to be a heavy hat.

SkilletsUSMC
02-20-07, 11:50 PM
Hands down hardest part for me was having to constantly hold my ****!!! Man I thought my colon was going to burst ;)

Echo_Four_Bravo
02-21-07, 12:11 AM
Skillets, I'd somehow forgotten about that part of boot camp. Still, for some reason I didn't have go nearly as often there.

YLDNDN6
02-21-07, 06:14 AM
I've gotta go with mess week. I was DI private...talk abut just being hung out there to get screwed with by every DI...They made me tell them joke after joke one day and if one of them didn't laugh, he got to BBS me (Back, Belly, Side) in the pit. I may have even left there owing a BBS or two...I'll go out back and do it in the snow for whoever I owe it to!!! OOhhh-Raaahhh!!!

maverickmarine
02-21-07, 07:04 AM
I would have to say Receiving as well since we didn't know **** and it was crazy. Also, I got lucky for mess week and got to be the Vampire Honcho, worked at night with a Sgt. and no Drill Instructor, so it was pretty cool.

jryanjack
02-21-07, 07:50 AM
I would have to say Receiving as well - mess week wasn't too bad for me, was a refer private - sat in the refer all day long doing basically nothing!

Cpl BAJA
02-21-07, 08:41 AM
I would have to agree with Cpl Brooks - the GAS CHAMBER. That room made a p#$$y out of everyone.

Mess week for me was a breeze. Another recruit and I were on "night mess duty". We worked at night preparing food for the next day and slep all day. Nobody F##ked with you, not even the DI's.

Marine84
02-21-07, 09:07 AM
the first week, gas chamber, not being able to smoke, swim qual...............and NOT being able to get over that dang log cause I was too short!

MacAngus
02-21-07, 09:58 AM
I absolutley hated the way SSGT.Malone would yell AT&T we would have to scream reach out and touch someone.We would have to touch the other recruits back. I swear for about 2 days thats the only thing that particular DI said. His voice was screechie and annoying as all hell i never want to hear the AT&T thing for the rest of my life.

rktect3j
02-21-07, 10:19 AM
Outside of the extra month I spent in MRP and PCP I would have to go with mess week.

maverickmarine
02-21-07, 10:47 AM
I absolutley hated the way SSGT.Malone would yell AT&T we would have to scream reach out and touch someone.We would have to touch the other recruits back. I swear for about 2 days thats the only thing that particular DI said. His voice was screechie and annoying as all hell i never want to hear the AT&T thing for the rest of my life.

Holy **** I forgot about that, must've blocked it out, LOL. Yeah, that sucked and it carried on throughout a good deal of my infantry career. Every once in a while that would get shouted out when you wanted to screw with your platoon. I have hated AT&T ever since, LOL.

ROHO
02-21-07, 11:20 AM
I would have to say mess week also. I was a pot shack Pvt, that really blew!!

SkilletsUSMC
02-21-07, 11:53 AM
I would have to agree with Cpl Brooks - the GAS CHAMBER. That room made a p#$$y out of everyone.

Mess week for me was a breeze. Another recruit and I were on "night mess duty". We worked at night preparing food for the next day and slep all day. Nobody F##ked with you, not even the DI's.

I didnt think the gas chamber was THAT bad. Sh!t I'd thrash for an hour in there as opposed to being sprayed with OC spray again. That stuff make CS feel like a cool breeze.

As for Bootcamp... I didnt really like doing rifle manual with my foot locker too much.:D

killerinstinct
02-21-07, 03:32 PM
Hands down hardest part for me was having to constantly hold my ****!!! Man I thought my colon was going to burst ;)

HAHAHAHA.. dude i dont think i **** for a month and jerking off was the same too. I still think they shot us with saltpeter

killerinstinct
02-21-07, 03:36 PM

thank god im tall and wasnt on the little end on humps.

Marine84
02-21-07, 06:05 PM
thank god im tall and wasnt on the little end on humps.

You know...........that was something I NEVER understood. Whenever you had to run in formation, why they NEVER put us short b!tches in the front for a change and have all them gazelles fall all over US. I ALWAYS had to do triple time and then you would have that accordian effect going and about the time I would catch up, hell they were taking off again.

It was hard being short in bootcamp.................:(

Quinbo
02-22-07, 12:14 AM
I attended a Army school and they had the run broken down into groups. Hey Marine which group do you want to run in? The fast one of course. We would go out in formation and bang out 3 in 20 minutes .... everyone would be smoked, but we would also just be getting out of the shower when the slow group came in ;) I think the slow group had to run 7 and then run in place till the last runner came in. If you chose the fast group and couldn't hang then you went to the slow group. Chief instructer said Marines call cadence while running so get out here ..... I was thinking holy ****tt ... we're on a 6 minute mile pace and you want me to call cadance ;) well ok here goes .... Hey there you Army .... what are you doing.... get in your tanks and follow me... I am Marine Corps infantry. If I wanted to be a doggie then I would have joined the Army.... Get in your tanks and follow me... I am Marine Corps infantry.

Killa K
09-19-07, 02:54 AM
The worst part of bootcamp is waking up to reveille at 0400. 1st phase recruits HATE that sound.

Chumley
09-19-07, 06:58 AM
I had one DI, DI Sgt Larotunda who was not human. Even though the rest of the DI's were as bad as a DI gets, they still had some humane qualities. DI Sgt Larotunda looked like a frikin barracuda and I'm pretty sure he actually killed and ate raw the recruits who mysteriously disappeared and were dropped during boot. He hurt his knee on his off time, about 1/3 of the way through our rotation, and was not to be seen by me again, and I've never been more thankful. Plus - he was the only DI who knew who I was...being a Smith, one of three in my platoon, I blended in pretty well...but DI Sgt Larotunda had a hard-on for me and my recruit experience improved dramatically without him. I didn't do firewatch for a month after he left.

Chumley
09-19-07, 06:58 AM
I had one DI, DI Sgt Larotunda who was not human. Even though the rest of the DI's were as bad as a DI gets, they still had some humane qualities. DI Sgt Larotunda looked like a frikin barracuda and I'm pretty sure he actually killed and ate raw the recruits who mysteriously disappeared and were dropped during boot. He hurt his knee on his off time, about 1/3 of the way through our rotation, and was not to be seen by me again, and I've never been more thankful. Plus - he was the only DI who knew who I was...being a Smith, one of three in my platoon, I blended in pretty well...but DI Sgt Larotunda had a hard-on for me and my recruit experience improved dramatically without him. I didn't do firewatch for a month after he left.

Zulu 36
09-19-07, 01:08 PM
I hated Slime Parties. We suffered through three of them (one in each phase funnily enough).

Chumley
09-19-07, 01:15 PM
Zulu,

Dare I ask what a slime party is?

SFi
C

Zulu 36
09-19-07, 01:38 PM
Zulu,

Dare I ask what a slime party is?

SFi
C
First, a Slime Party involved the whole platoon p*ssing off the DIs during a sloppy, slimey drill session. Admittedly, we were pretty stinky on those occasions.

Since Marines do everything to perfection, we had to learn to "slime" properly.

The whole platoon got into the rain room, naked, and got wet. The guide and squad leaders first had to bring their bottles of Whisk liquid laundry detergent to the DIs.

Then they put us on our faces and emptied the five bottles of Whisk all over us and the shower room.

At their command, we flopped onto our backs, back to our bellies, stood up, got back down, on and on. We played like this for at least five minutes although it seemed much longer. They would yell, "You a*sholes want to slime? Then you'll slime like professionals."

The bad part of this was 65-75 recruits stuffed into one shower room flopping around like fish. Guess where your face sometimes ended up if you got pinned face down? Yup, could be up someone's bum, or get a faceful of the other side. I found it very humiliating, the absolute worst experience of boot camp by far. I'd rather take a beating.

I doubt if they could get away with this trick now. But we did drill much better the next time out.

Echo_Four_Bravo
09-19-07, 04:26 PM
All I can say is:

Better you than me sucker!

Chumley
09-19-07, 04:56 PM
Zulu,

I'D take that beating for you from the biggest DI you had, rather than watch you go through THAT, and I don't even know ya. Another CLASSIC though....you really have to appreciate the creativity in demoralizing here.

Thanks for sharing your pain Bro! :beer:
SFI
C

Zulu 36
09-19-07, 05:10 PM
Zulu,

I'D take that beating for you from the biggest DI you had, rather than watch you go through THAT, and I don't even know ya. Another CLASSIC though....you really have to appreciate the creativity in demoralizing here.

Thanks for sharing your pain Bro! :beer:
SFI
C

Even then I gave them a 10 for creativity and imagination, but I still didn't like it as a non-DI participant. :cry:

SlingerDun
09-19-07, 11:53 PM
what do you REALLY pray you never ever have to do again.Are you kidding? Thrashing in the sand pits. And come to think of it i may have prayed, but it didn't work.

Also attending class and lectures on hot days right after lunch. Studying hand written notes would later reveal sentences trailing off into chicken scratch, which was a sure sign of an afternoon class. Not even the real time threat of a D.I. sneaking up from behind and knockin a hole in your ear followed by a thrashing is enough to stop all head bobbing.

--->Dave

SlingerDun
09-20-07, 12:08 AM
hi ho, hi ho, its off to the pits we go, where bends and thrusts are good for us hi, ho, hi ho, hi ho, hi ho.http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/images/icons/icon6.gif

davblay
09-20-07, 12:12 AM
The only thing that comes to my mind is having a DI that went thru Boot Camp with my brother! That was a b!tch! Didn't know until graduation day, he told me he recognized the name on the mail from my brother, who was in Nam at the time! :evilgrin:

Cricket
09-20-07, 10:25 AM
I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one who hated the sand pits. "Side straddle hop, push, sit ups, push, leg lifts... higher!", I hated that the most.

If I had to pick something that was not already mentioned, I'd have to say The Crucible (http://www.marines.com/page/usmc.jsp?pageId=/page/Detail-XML-Conversion.jsp?pageName=The-Crucible&flashRedirect=true). It wouldn't have been so bad if we had more than a field jacket liner to keep us warm... it was raining and about 30 degrees the entire time. We spent most of the time soaking wet, shivering and splashing through mud. I remember everyone nearly getting hypothermia and drinking hot Tang... I feel sick just thinking about the taste of it. The Colors ceremony at the Iwo Jima Memorial and the Warriors breakfast was quite a nice payoff for the misery though.

CombatCmra
09-25-07, 01:42 PM
I'd say its a toss between dry firing on those stupid white barrels or mess week.

irizavrima
09-27-07, 12:44 PM
Expect the worst day of your life to start right after initial drill...and expect to be more tired then you ever have in your life after John Basilone's Challenge.