PDA

View Full Version : Marines’ Esprit de corps

thedrifter
02-20-07, 08:33 AM
Marines’ Esprit de corps

Each generation of Americans has produced citizens who dare to go through the entry-level position called Marine Corps boot camp and serve their country as Marines.

This brotherhood is so strong that when faced with life-threatening situations, the worst of the lot will risk their lives to save another Marine, even if he happens to dislike that person. It is a brotherhood that few can possibly understand if they have not been a part of it.

Though changes may occur, each generation is embodied with that unique esprit de corps that makes our Corps so special. Marines are a weird sort of cat, part alley, part wild and part tabby. They come in all colors and shapes with one thing in common: Put a rifle in their hands, and they become a warrior deeply feared by their enemies, loved by their friends and gruffly admired by those in-between.

I believe my generation of Marines served our country with honor, and I am proud to note that nothing has changed with the generations that followed. Our Corps is still manned by the best our country has to offer.

Frequent deployments, under harsh and dangerous conditions, are hard on families, but readily accepted by all. It seems the only people complaining are the liberal members of Congress and the equally liberal members of the press. These complainers are also trying to tie our hands behind our backs to make the job even more difficult. They just don’t get it.

Capt. Richard T. Bellis (ret.)
Mission Viejo, Calif.