View Full Version : Speier got a kick out of boot camp

thedrifter
02-19-07, 07:25 AM
Monday, February 19, 2007
Speier got a kick out of boot camp
The reliever said going through Marine training was an 'awesome experience.'
By BILL PLUNKETT
The Orange County Register

TEMPE, ARIZ. – Justin Speier was not quite 18, fresh out of high school, headed to college to study criminal justice and play baseball - the sport his father, former major-league infielder and coach Chris Speier, made a living at - when he got an idea.

He decided to join the Marines.

"I wanted to see if I could do it. I wanted to see if I could get through boot camp," Speier said. "You never could tell (if baseball would work out). I wanted to give myself options. I kind of had three career paths working for me."

Speier's eventual career path has led him to the Angels. A nine-year major-league veteran, Speier signed a four-year, $18 million contract with the Angels this winter to add another setup option to one of the strongest bullpens in baseball.

"It was an awesome experience," Speier said of his time in boot camp at Camp Pendleton in 1991. "It was three months of the most grueling physical, emotional and psychological test you could imagine. To have a drill sergeant yelling at you while you're trying to make it through an obstacle course second to none - it was the toughest thing I've ever experienced.

"Walking out on that parade deck and graduating as a Marine was the proudest day of my life."

Speier spent four years as an active reserve while attending Nicholls State and was eventually selected by the Chicago Cubs in the 55th round of the 1995 draft. He made his major-league debut with the Cubs in 1998 but had bounced around to six teams before having his best season last year when he went 2-0 with a 2.98 ERA in 58 appearances for the Toronto Blue Jays.

"My major-league career has definitely been affected by my experience with the Marines," Speier said. "My father was a very good father and a very strict father, very disciplined. My experience with the Marines just added to that upbringing and made me able to stay disciplined and focused."

Ellie