PDA

View Full Version : Some customers of mine..

CJA
02-18-07, 06:41 PM
I work at Circuit City, and I had these two customers, found out they had both done a year in Iraq. I then asked what branch, they were both in the Army.

I then told them that I had just joined the Marines and the lady was like "You know the Marines are the dumbest ones right?".

Then of course when I tell my Air Force customers, they say the typical "You seem smart enough to join the AF"..

I just want to punch these people.. obviously that wouldn't be the best idea but what is their problem?

I guess my question is when did this persona of Marines being unintelligent come to be? Just because I wanted to be apart of the best makes me unintelligent somehow?

I almost asked them if they knew what Army meant (you know, Aren't Really Marines Yet) but that wouldn't have gone over too well.

Any reason for this at all, or just ignorance?

(And before anyone asks, no this does not bother me or make me question my choice of branches, just simple curiousity.)

Marine84
02-18-07, 07:02 PM
It's jealousy..................even THEY know you're going in the toughest one. We ALL heard it to some degree before we joined.

Echo_Four_Bravo
02-18-07, 07:33 PM
It is just one of those things that is out there. Just like many people see the Air Force as being full of weak people or the Army as being full of people that have no other options in life. It may be true for some people in any service, but not all of them.

It should be noted that the Marine Corps does NOT have the lowest minimum score on the ASVAB. Ask them to explain that.

sgt tony
02-18-07, 07:42 PM
Well a good come back is well I am joining to serve my country and my i ask what you joined for. We are all proud of each other

JimmyK
02-18-07, 10:37 PM
Your going hear stuff like that all throughout your Marine Corps career. Just the other day I had a sailor in my class here at my MOS school tell me there is no need for a Marine Corps, that we're only bullet catchers and everything we do could be done just as well by the Air Force and Army. She said this in a room with 2 other Marines, a Lance Corporal and a Sergeant. After she said this I looked at both of them and they both were having as much trouble holding there bearing as I was. It wouldn't have taken much more for all three of us to beat the **** out of her ignorant, dumb ass.

AThames
02-18-07, 11:30 PM
i've heard it ever since i signed my contract. while a poolee i stopped telling people out of fear of what they would think. once i got off "THE ISLAND" i stopped hiding it and am proud of myself everyday. i wear my moto shirts all the time and will throw it out in conversation whenever the opportunity presents itself.

its honestly somthing you will have to learn to deal with. people will be ignorant but thats on them and not you. whenever someone says somthing ignorant to me about being a Marine, this war we're fighting, or my boss The President of the United States, i just smile and say "that's ok i'll still fight for you."

Kildars
02-19-07, 01:49 AM
Anyone who says that to you remind them the Army has lower Asvab scores on average and lower requirements for enlistments,than the Marine Corps, the Marine Corps also has more strict officer selection requirements if I recall correctly.

If someone tells you just overall recruits are dumb, or unintulligent for any branch point them to this extensive study. It pretty much shuts anyone up.

http://www.heritage.org/Research/NationalSecurity/cda06-09.cfm

Other than that just brush them off.

Good luck.

Allen870922
02-19-07, 02:06 AM
youll fidn in boot that the cokkege peopple aere te dumnbedst onces.

dont take that asd a joke, cuase im drunk ruight now and dont fleel like fixing ut.

ggyoung
02-19-07, 11:36 AM
When I hear any of this B.S. I just say "we may be dumb in your eyes but we will kick your butt anytime and anywere you want to try us"

Ed Palmer
02-19-07, 11:56 AM
Wrong form

SkilletsUSMC
02-19-07, 12:28 PM
Just ask them what they have against dumb people. :D Serriously though, That rep will never go away. My guess is that since we are First to Fight, the other services get butt-hurt and want to justify their borring desk job. They cant have their part in the glory, so they want to try to bump you down a rung and bring you to their level. Being the best, you will allways have haters.

Soon2BeVIP
02-19-07, 04:17 PM
youll fidn in boot that the cokkege peopple aere te dumnbedst onces.

dont take that asd a joke, cuase im drunk ruight now and dont fleel like fixing ut.
lol be careful about drunk typing on here...I did it once and got kicked off

semperfiman
02-19-07, 09:40 PM
its tough being the fastest gun around the cant bees are just ****ed

USMCVet1992
02-20-07, 10:42 AM
Everybody in the Army, Navy and Air Force all know that becoming a United States Marine is one of the most difficult challenges on the face of this earth. If the task were an easy one, there would not be an Army, Navy or Air Force because everybody knows that all of them would rather be Marines, but just didn't have what it takes or were afraid to try. Get used to the jokes, you will a lot worse if you make through Boot Camp. They take shots at us, and we take shots at them, but we all fight for the same things. (Marines just happen to be the biggest and baddest in the fight!)

ItzAlex
02-21-07, 04:36 PM
Your going hear stuff like that all throughout your Marine Corps career. Just the other day I had a sailor in my class here at my MOS school tell me there is no need for a Marine Corps, that we're only bullet catchers and everything we do could be done just as well by the Air Force and Army. She said this in a room with 2 other Marines, a Lance Corporal and a Sergeant. After she said this I looked at both of them and they both were having as much trouble holding there bearing as I was. It wouldn't have taken much more for all three of us to beat the **** out of her ignorant, dumb ass.

Isn't it the other way around? Marines are capable of operating through air, land and sea while the army would have trouble on water and the airforce would have trouble on land (without a runway). Maybe only the SEAL has an edge but their not large enough to compare to the Corps, the skills without the manpower...

TheBiggness
02-21-07, 05:07 PM
I saw this one show on the descovery channel or history channel on a group in Army bootcamp I think they're in there for 8 weeks. Anyway whatching that show was funny. I was suprised to find they gave out stress cards so you could take a break from PT. and people actualy used em.

Motorola07
02-21-07, 06:29 PM
I saw this one show on the descovery channel or history channel on a group in Army bootcamp I think they're in there for 8 weeks. Anyway whatching that show was funny. I was suprised to find they gave out stress cards so you could take a break from PT. and people actualy used em.

Those stress cards or here in the the Corps to... If im not mistaken