PDA

View Full Version : Text Messaging

yellowwing
02-18-07, 11:29 AM
Okay you young pups, who wants to explain Text Messaging to me? :nerd:

Up until about a year ago I thought I was always cutting edge. Then I saw a youngster Texting back and forth to his girlfriend. He sent pretty good sized messages within seconds while driving. WTF?

It takes me a minute to add a caller to my mailbox. Clueless on the Texting.

cplbrooks
02-18-07, 11:44 AM
I have to admit that i am a bit behind on this too. It seems to me that it would just be easier to call the person.

Achped
02-18-07, 11:46 AM
This is gonna get confusing, there are certain ways to text. You can do it a normal way, which is, say you want to type the letter "b" you'd press the #2 key twice, if you want to press j key you'd press the #5 key once.

Or you could select t9 as the way you type, and then you just spell the word but only press the key who's letter you want once, so for example lets say you wanted to say "dog", you'd press 3, 6, and 4 and it'd come up dog. But say you don't want to say dog, say you want to say "fog", well you already pressed 3, 6, and 4. They both have the same keys. So then you'd press probably a star or pound key to change the word to other words with that key combination. So say you want to say go, well pressing 4 then 6 will say In thats not what you want. So you press the star key, it'd then go to I'm. You press it again, and it'd say Go.

However, sometimes a word isn't programmed in t9 and then you have to spell it normally the way I described above.

But you just select someone's name in your phone book, options, send message, type the message, and send it. Ta da. :)

Oh, and you can't just call a person in a classroom. (And if you say we shouldn't be texting in class, my recruiter texts me when he gets onto campus...he has no qualms with it. :))

yellowwing
02-18-07, 11:57 AM
T9 = Numeric shortcuts for linguistics? Far out, groovy man!

There's got to be some tactical application to that technology. Hand signals become obsolete to a T9 System with individual monocles?

sabbs88
02-18-07, 12:06 PM
its helpful when youre taking a test lol

yellowwing
02-18-07, 12:22 PM
Bahh! Maybe after MCRD you'll get used to thinking with your Spear. It will be keen and sharp then, and you'll find all kinds of way to use it. :evilgrin:

davecerami275
02-18-07, 12:25 PM
I have to admit that i am a bit behind on this too. It seems to me that it would just be easier to call the person.

my daughter will spend three minutes punching in a text message. if she calls them it would be a one minute conservation. do the math

PMKing
02-18-07, 03:05 PM
Talking on the phone may take less time BUT it proves helpful...

Like when Im on the phone with my girlfriend it takes about 5 minutes before ive talked about everything and then we just sit on the phone talking about nothing and its stupid. Sure sure you are going to say I should just hang up but you know how girls are. The simple solution is to Txt her. You just txt what you want to say, wait, txt back, when you run out of stuff to say there is no akward silence, just wait till something else comes up to talk about.

Shes happy, Im happy :D

ggyoung
02-18-07, 04:04 PM
I have found the way yet. Let my grandkids do it.

DWG
02-18-07, 04:42 PM
It's so simple, only a child can do it!!:D

CJA
02-18-07, 06:24 PM
Or, if you have a phone like mine, it has a full QWERTY keyboard on it ;)

Lets just say send/recieved text messages I've done 8000 for two months consecutively. I don't have time to talk on the phone really..
At work I text message, and in school. These are the two places I'm at the majority of the time and that's how I communicate. Plus like PMKing said, at our age talking on the phone is pretty pointless. You simply can't get off of it! Then you have your awkward silences that you wont have with text messaging.

I've become addicted to it and can send huge messages within a minute.

yellowwing
02-18-07, 06:28 PM
Okay CJA, this is a time trial. How fast can you Text the Interior Guard General Orders. Let me know the results. Thanks!

CJA
02-18-07, 06:42 PM
I know I'm going to sound stupid, but are you talking about the 11 general orders?

yellowwing
02-18-07, 06:58 PM
Yes. All 176 words with 960 text characters.

Marine84
02-18-07, 06:59 PM
I know I'm going to sound stupid, but are you talking about the 11 general orders?

:scared: you mean you're a poolee and you don't know what he's talkin' about?

CJA
02-18-07, 07:03 PM
I had always known them by the General Orders never by "Interior Guard General Orders".

Echo_Four_Bravo
02-18-07, 07:06 PM
I will text people if there is no choice. But, if someone sends me a text that is stupid and/or pointless they will not be answered, and will be expected to pay me the 10 cents it costs to receive a message. I do have a messaging plan on my phone, but not a large one because I don't use them. So, when people decide to send me large numbers of messages I expect them to pay for it.

Cheating in class or not paying attention to the teacher may seem fun now. But when you hit the fleet I hope you think better of text messaging someone when your squad leader is giving you a class. You may have to visit a proctologist to retrieve your phone.

yellowwing
02-18-07, 07:06 PM
General Orders are a sub secton of the Interior Guard.

CJA
02-18-07, 07:14 PM
Yes. All 176 words with 960 text characters.

Finished.

Start time: 7:07:00
Finish: 7:12:48
Total: 5:48

Text characters: 960/1071 (equates to 7 messages, 160 characters per text messages)

yellowwing
02-18-07, 07:27 PM
"Text characters: 960/1071 (equates to 7 messages, 160 characters per text messages)"
160 is the buffer limitation?

CJA
02-18-07, 07:27 PM
On my phone yes, I'm pretty sure it's universal though.

yellowwing
02-18-07, 07:33 PM
Thanks for the info! Very helpful. :thumbup:

Here's a bonus for you. Interior Guard (http://www.recruitknowledge.com/pages/gms/interiorguard1.htm)

Well done.

Quinbo
02-18-07, 07:42 PM
Women drivers no survivers. I cringe every time my wife texts me. I picture her staring at the phone trying to press them teeny little buttons in some sort of complicated algorythim to produce 10 words of text... mean while the car is drifting towards a ditch and being the excellent driver that she is, she will immediately slam on the brakes and watch her self go tumbling off an enbankment and next word I hear of her will be on CNN.

CJA
02-18-07, 07:44 PM
Thanks a lot yellowwing.

She might be able to text without looking Bulkyker, I know with my old phone that had T9 I could text perfectly fine without looking.

Echo_Four_Bravo
02-18-07, 10:39 PM
Texting while driving should be reason enough to lose your right to drive for life. I don't care if someone runs into a pole while they're doing it, but it puts innocent people at risk as well. I shouldn't be hurt/killed in an accident because someone felt the need to send a text message.

CJA
02-18-07, 10:42 PM
You make a good point, but many other things also put peoples life at risk because people are smoking and driving, on a cell phone, screaming kids in the back, etc.

It's just adding another thing to the list, and would be an impossible law to enforce.

But yes I will agree it's stupid, and I'm guilty.

Texting while driving should be reason enough to lose your right to drive for life. I don't care if someone runs into a pole while they're doing it, but it puts innocent people at risk as well. I shouldn't be hurt/killed in an accident because someone felt the need to send a text message.

Allen870922
02-19-07, 01:57 AM
Thanks for the info! Very helpful. :thumbup:

Here's a bonus for you. Interior Guard (http://www.recruitknowledge.com/pages/gms/interiorguard1.htm)

Well done.

im drnk and evn now after 3 months i came to atention an recited all my generl orders.

ist amzing awhat yui remmber.

ggyoung
02-21-07, 06:22 PM
6 days ago I was driveing south on I-15 by Provo, Utah and I seen a women driver who was doing of all things+++++++++++++++++driveing. Honest to god driving.

Echo_Four_Bravo
02-21-07, 10:22 PM
CJA, it wouldn't be impossible to enforce. Not everyone would get caught, but when you did, there would be no second chance.

Other things may distract someone. But, you have to take your eyes off the road to read a text message. I can talk on the phone and watch the road. I could smoke (but I don't) and watch for dangers in front of me. I could have people yelling in the back seat, and pay attention to the road. But, I cannot read and/or type while looking around and being safe.

I just warn you not to hit me because you're sending a text message. You'll never see your phone again, but there will be an odd sound coming from behing you when someone tries to call you.

CJA
02-21-07, 11:39 PM
If I hit you personally when I was driving because of a text message, you'd probably just kill me.

Lol :P

Echo_Four_Bravo
02-21-07, 11:44 PM
Nah, wouldn't kill you. You're on your way to being part of the family. Now, if you decide that Marine Corps isn't for you and you hit me.... well don't do that.

JohnWayne
02-22-07, 01:05 AM
New phones have predictive text even for abreviations. So, for you Nam vets and other relics (*clever marketing wink*), that means the miniature type-writer-phone in my hand knows that when I write "gudmo" I mean "Good morning" and it changes it for me on the picture-box attached to it. I won't lie though some of this stuff is just getting me annoyed... 11 year olds get phones from rich daddy who tells them there's nothing disturbing about people talking to eachother over the phone when in the same room. The sickening part of this technology is that you're WRITING A LETTER over a PHONE which is used for TALKING. In 30 years, I guarantee you there will be a cell phone that also works as a gun, and can be folded out in to some kind of sex machine. The millenium seems to have destroyed humanity... rap music, cell phones, and plasma screen TVs, are all excellent reasons why I still wind up my ****ing alarm clock every night by hand.

CJA
02-22-07, 03:22 PM
Nah, wouldn't kill you. You're on your way to being part of the family. Now, if you decide that Marine Corps isn't for you and you hit me.... well don't do that.

Haha, I laughed out loud..
Don't plan on doing that, sir.

Bullrider
03-01-07, 12:18 AM
While there is a topic like this open....How do I use Limewire?

I cant tell the difference between T1 or T3 or what in sam hell BIltrate is

Basically the one thing I cant figure out is if I am downloading a virus or not, any help would be appreciated

ZSKI
03-01-07, 08:27 PM
Those are all internet connection just select the one you got. Bitrate is the bandwith or space its getting downloaded at. Just search double click and it will download. I would use torrents anyway download better quallity stuff faster.

yellowwing
03-02-07, 02:37 AM
I'm paying $49 for 10mbps Internet connection. They keep sending me special offers to eventually pay $99 for 25mbps speeds. So far the only noticeable lag I'm 'suffering' is in watching John Stewart videos.

I'd like to get a Blackberry too. But there is only one service provider around and they want $100 a month for reasonable bandwidth.

maverickmarine
03-02-07, 06:37 AM
I just got a Blackberry Pearl and freakin' love it. I will admit though that I am a texting freak. Most of my friends are as well but there are a few who get so freakin' annoyed by me because I don't answer my phone and then a little while later they will get a text, LMAO! I think it's hilarious.