View Full Version : HOA infantrymen proud to be "grunts"

thedrifter
02-14-03, 01:59 PM
CJTF-HOA infantrymen proud to be "grunts"
Submitted by: Combined Joint Task Force - Horn of Africa
Story Identification Number: 20032131156
Story by

CAMP LEMONIER, Djibouti(Cpl. Paula M. Fitzgerald) --
When the word "Marine" is uttered, some envision a tall, muscular man wearing the dress blue uniform with a red stripe extending vertically down his trousers, which is an iconic symbol of "the few, the proud." Others see a dirty, camouflage-clad infantryman carrying a rifle and wearing a large pack on his back.

Since Nov. 10, 1775, Marine infantryman, affectionately known as "grunts," have been fighting and winning wars. Many of these same men took their last breaths on foreign soil. According to three Marines from E Company, 2d Battalion, 2d Marine Regiment, 24th Marine Expeditionary Unit (Special Operations Capable), the job of a grunt is not as easy as many people believe.

"For the most part, people think the job of a grunt is not hard because they think our only purpose is to run to the front lines during war and shoot people," said Sgt. Russell E. Evans, a team leader and Lakeside, Ariz., native.

Lance Cpls. Nathan J. Fuentes and Dave G. Braun concurred. The three are assigned to Combined Joint Task Force - Horn of Africa in support of Operation Enduring Freedom.

Evans, who is a four-year Marine veteran, said it's not always easy being a grunt because of the everyday pressure and stress that come along with the job.

A considerable amount of an infantryman's time is spent training in the field. For some, "the field" is an intangible place, where Marines sleep on the ground and don't get to shower. For a grunt, the field is a facet of their way of life.

"When we go to the field, it's not like going camping," Evans said. "There's a lot to endure like humps and digging fighting holes, but we put up with it because, we practice in the field how we would fight in war."

Fuentes, who hails from Houston, expounded. "No one wants to die, but that's just something that we might have to deal with. We do it so no one else has to."

So why in the world would anyone want to become a grunt?

According to 24-year-old Evans, most of the Marines in his company volunteered for the arduous duty.

He said, "It seems that most of us had recruiters that were trying to convince us to pick a different MOS (Military Occupational Specialty). I guess they thought we could do something better."

For these three, there was no other job they wanted to pursue.

"I was in college for a year and a half before joining the Marines," explained Fuentes.

When he visited the Marine recruiter's office, Fuentes said the recruiter didn't have to convince him to join the ranks of the few and the proud.

Fuentes went on to say, "I pretty much recruited myself. I knew I didn't want to end up being a bus driver and being a grunt looked pretty cool, so I said I wanted to do that. He tried to convince me otherwise."

Originally, Fuentes believed since infantrymen were the backbone of the Corps, they would be treated well and "placed on pedestals." Instead, he said heaps of non-infantry Marines view grunts as being dumb and insensitive.

Evans, Braun and Fuentes adamantly deny that reputation.

"If people would just sit down and talk to a grunt, they would realize that we are not

stupid," said Evans. "We don't just drink, get loud and talk about women. I mean, sure, we like to have a good time, especially after we've been out in the field for fifteen days straight. But we have interests outside of all that."

In fact, Braun, who is from Baltimore, is an avid drummer and has played since he was 14.

He described his passion for the drums, "To me, the drums are like the base for a song. Everything else just follows along."

He also said he has eclectic musical taste because, "to be a talented musician, you have to be able to appreciate different kinds of music."

As for being insensitive, all three admit that when they are in the field, they don't worry too much about watching their mouths. However, when they are in the presence of people outside of the company, they make an effort to not be offensive or rude.

Fuentes admitted, "I would definitely say I'm a sensitive guy. Some people might even say I'm a hopeless romantic, but I don't think that is true."

Some of his favorite movies include "chick flicks" like "Serendipity" and "Beauty and the Beast."

"I even cried when Bambi's mom died," he said in jest.

Even though these three Leathernecks confess to having softer sides, which is rarely noticed by the outside world, they take their job very seriously.

"We do (this job) because someone has to, and we're good at what we do," stated Evans.

http://www.usmc.mil/marinelink/image1.nsf/Lookup/200321374034/$file/Infantry-low.jpg
CAMP LEMONIER, Djibouti -- From left to right, Sgt. Russell E. Evans, Lance Cpls. Dave G. Braun and Nathan J. Fuentes set the record straight about Marine Corps infantrymen, also known as "grunts." The three are infantrymen with Easy Company, 2d Battalion, 2d Marine Regiment, 24th Marine Expeditionary Unit (Special Operations Capable), which is currently here in support of Combined Joint Task Force - Horn of Africa.
Photo by: Cpl. Paula M. Fitzgerald

Sempers,

Roger

Art Petersn
02-14-03, 03:56 PM
Subject: Fw: Fw: FW: Ann-Margaret and the Viet Nam vet......

Thought you would like to see the attached copy of a
story about a Viet Nam vet and Ann-Margaret which is
written by the vet's wife. It is unique and well worth
reading.

Richard, (my husband), never really talked a lot about his
time in Viet Nam other than he had been shot by a sniper.
However, he had a rather grainy, 8 x 10 black &white
photo he had taken at a USO show of Ann-Margaret with Bob
Hope in the background that was one of his treasures.

A few years ago, Ann-Margaret was doing a book signing at
a local bookstore. Richard wanted to see if he could get
her to sign the treasured photo so he arrived at the
bookstore at 12 o'clock for the 7:30 signing.

When I got there after work, the line went all the way
around the bookstore, circled the parking lot, and
disappeared behind a parking garage. Before her
appearance, bookstore employees announced that she would
sign only her book and no memorabilia would be permitted.
Richard was disappointed, but wanted to show her the photo
and let her know how much those shows meant to lonely GI's
so far from home.

Ann-Margaret came out looking as beautiful as ever and, as
2nd in line, it was soon Richard's turn. He presented the
book for her signature and then took out the photo. When
he did, there were many shouts from the employees that she
would not sign it. Richard said, "I understand. I just
wanted her to see it."

She took one look at the photo, tears welled up in her
eyes and she said, "This is one of my gentlemen from Viet
Nam and I most certainly will sign his photo. I know what
these men did for their country and I always have time for
"my gentlemen". With that, she pulled Richard across the
table and planted a big kiss on him. She then made quite
a to-do about the bravery of the young men she met over
the years, how much she admired them, and how much she
appreciated them. There weren't too many dry eyes among
those close enough to hear. She then posed for pictures
and acted as if he was the only one there.

Later, at dinner, Richard was very quiet. When I asked if
he'd like to talk about it, my big strong husband broke
down in tears. "That's the first time anyone ever thanked
me for my time in the Army", he said.

That night was a turning point for him. He walked a
little straighter and, for the first time in years, was
proud to have been a Vet.

I'll never forget Ann Margaret for her graciousness and
how much that small act of kindness meant to my husband.
I now make it a point to say Thank You to every person I
come across who served in our Armed Forces.

Freedom does not come cheap and I am grateful for all
those who have served their country.

If you'd like to pass on this story, feel free to do so.
Perhaps it will help others to become aware of how
important it is to acknowledge the contribution our
service people make.

I hope this gets around to Jane Fonda.

---

lurchenstein
02-15-03, 02:43 PM
Ann-Margaret could mentor the Hollywood mob of "unbelievers".