PDA

View Full Version : Young Marine makes corporal

thedrifter
02-17-07, 09:41 AM
02/17/2007
Young Marine makes corporal
By: KEITH PHUCAS , Times Herald Staff

WHITEMARSH - U.S. Marine Cpl. Jason Komorowski, who is serving his second tour in Iraq, has a habit of calling his parents for things the military doesn't provide - beef jerky, a pair of white socks and a camera.

"Whatever he thinks he's needing," said Linda Komorowski, the Marine's mother.

In February, the 20-year-old Marine, who is serving with the 3rd Battalion, 6th Marines, was promoted to the rank of corporal. He graduated from Plymouth-Whitemarsh High School in 2004.

During his first Iraq deployment, Komorowski was in Alkaim near Iraq's border with Syria.

"The last time he was there, he was going house to house," his mother said.

The corporal's calls home are infrequent. His father, Jack, said he sent a message earlier this week telling his son to "make sure you call your mom."

"He did," Mr. Komorowski said, calling the family's Whitemarsh Township home Valentine's Day on a satellite phone.

Jason has a 19-year-old brother, Travis, and a sister, Kelli, who is 17. The Marine is a nephew of Plymouth Township Police Chief Carmen Pettine.

Mrs. Komorowski said joining the military was something her son had wanted to do for a long time. He joined while still in high school.

"I wasn't thrilled but I felt I had to be supportive," she said. "It was what he wanted."

The Iraq war, dubbed Operation Iraqi Freedom, began March 20, 2003. Many Marines are serving in Iraq's al-Anbar Province west of Baghdad.

Ellie