PDA

View Full Version : Top Military Commanders Say American Forces "Too Small" For 21st Century

thedrifter
02-17-07, 09:37 AM
Top Military Commanders Say American Forces "Too Small" For 21st Century

February 16, 2007 8:02 p.m. EST

Matthew Borghese - All Headline News Staff Writer

Washington, D.C. (AHN) - As Congress continues to increase its oversight of the War on Terror, lawmakers have called Army Gen. Peter J. Schoomaker, Army chief of staff, and Marine Gen. James T. Conway, commandant of the Marine Corps to Capitol Hill to testify.

Speaking before the Senate Armed Services Committee, general Schoomaker explains, "I think that the Army is too small for the century that we're in. I believe the plan we have is the proper plan and proper slope to do it. And so my advice would be that we complete the plan and we sustain this force. It's my opinion the nation can afford it, and it's necessary in this century."

The Pentagon wants an additional 65,000 soldiers and 27,000 Marines by 2012, saying the new forces would "increase time at home for units between deployments and will prepare the forces for missions in areas besides Iraq and Afghanistan."

General Conway tells Congress, "I believe we're a nation at war. I think that Afghanistan and Iraq represent the first battles of this long war. And I think, like in any war, you don't know what's on the horizon; you don't what is going to follow."

"So if asked for my military advice on whether or not we should look at off-ramping or stopping something short of 202,000 Marines at this point. I would recommend we not do that until such time as we think that this war against Islamic extremists is over."

General Conway adds, "These additional Marines will allow us the additional dwell time needed to train at home station and sharpen those skills that could be required of us in the next contingency, thereby reducing future operational and strategic risks."

Ellie