PDA

View Full Version : Diddling While Americans Die

thedrifter
02-17-07, 08:45 AM
Diddling While Americans Die
Townhall.com ^ | February 17, 2007 | Oliver North

SPOTSYLVANIA, Va. -- He was an American hero. On his second tour of duty in Iraq, he had already served in the Western Pacific and a prior combat tour in Afghanistan. On Friday afternoon, Feb. 16, when Sgt. Joshua Frazier, USMC, was laid to rest in the soil of his native Virginia, his comrades in arms from the 1st Battalion, 6th Marines were fighting terrorists on the mean streets of Ramadi, in Iraq's bloody Al Anbar Province. As Sgt. Frazier's grieving mother was being presented with a carefully folded American flag, the Congress of the United States was debating a meaningless "non-binding resolution" attacking the commander in chief.

Heroes aren't athletes who set new sports records or Hollywood actors who make "daring" films or politicians who make bold promises. Heroes are people who place themselves at risk for the benefit of others. Joshua Frazier was certainly such a man. Unfortunately, there are far too few members of Congress who fit the definition.

At Joshua's funeral, I gave his parents photographs of their son that had been taken a few weeks ago while I was embedded with his unit in Iraq. We had just returned from a patrol to a newly re-opened school where little Iraqi girls were being taught arithmetic. Standing around us in the photo are the Sunni police officers and Shia soldiers who had accompanied us on the mission. Sweat stains from his 40-pound flak jacket are still evident on his uniform and he is smiling through exhaustion into the lens. He and his squad of Marines had been up for more than 24 hours chasing down an enemy sniper. His is one of more than two dozen Army, Marine, Navy, Air Force and Coast Guard units whose tours will be extended in Iraq in order to increase U.S. troop levels by 21,500. These are the young Americans who will bear the brunt of what Congress is doing.

Sgt. Frazier is one of more than 2,500 U.S. military personnel killed in action in Iraq. Speaker Nancy Pelosi claims the resolution being debated by the House of Representatives is a measure that "will continue to support and protect" U.S. military personnel. Yet, she also says it shows "Congress disapproves of the decision of President George W. Bush announced on Jan. 10, 2007, to deploy more than 20,000 additional United States combat troops to Iraq." How this does anything but damage U.S. and Iraqi morale and embolden America's adversaries is beyond comprehension.

"The American people have lost faith in President Bush's course of action in Iraq," Pelosi said Tuesday as the resolution was introduced. She said the president's plan "is based on the judgment that the way out of Iraq lies in sending more troops in," adding, "our experience has proven just the opposite."

At the risk of pointing out the obvious, "our experience," in Pelosi's words, has proven that pulling U.S. forces out before the war is won is a formula for disaster. In Korea, the decision to withdraw U.N. troops to the 38th parallel resulted in stalemate and today's despotic, nuclear-armed regime in Pyongyang. In Vietnam, the congressional cut-off of funds in December 1974 precipitated the North Vietnamese communist takeover of the entire country less than five months later. The combined losses in both wars -- more than 108,000 Americans killed in action -- should be an object lesson for this Congress. Pulling out, holding back, withdrawing support, "de-funding" the war -- whatever it's called -- is tantamount to squandering lives.

Is that where this Congress is heading? Are the lives of courageous young American volunteers like Joshua Frazier worth so little to our Congress that they would ignore our peril for perverse personal political profit?

If the morale of America's soldiers, sailors, airmen, Guardsmen and Marines doesn't have meaning to our legislators, then perhaps they should look at what America's enemies are doing. While Congress debates hollow, but ultimately damaging legislation, there is new assertiveness in Iran -- on everything from acquiring nuclear arms to supplying terror cells in Iraq with advanced weaponry. Tehran's radical Islamic theocracy headed by Grand Ayatollah Khamenei doesn't have to worry about "resolutions of non-support," but they are very adept at measuring American ambivalence and uncertainty.

This week's "show and tell" of captured Iranian sniper rifles, surface-to-air missiles, mortar rounds, sophisticated "explosively formed penetrators" and evidence of Iranian complicity in killing more than 170 Americans elicited nary a peep from the new Congressional leadership. They were more concerned with their pet resolution -- and getting Pelosi a bigger military airplane for her commute between Washington and San Francisco. That's a telling signal to Tehran that our Congress is backing away from protecting our vital interests and our troops.

Nero fiddled as Rome burned. Today, Congress diddles as Americans die. Tomorrow, we may all pay the price.

10thzodiac
02-17-07, 12:04 PM
"When you find yourself in a hole, keep digging", has a certain element of truth to it. But at the same time, intelligent people also know when the best path is to quit. It's simply not true that being a "quitter" is synonymous with being a "loser" in every single case.

People know the hole they are in from which escape will be hard, yet they want to frantically keep digging as if their life depended on it.

Have the strength to continue even when the obstacles are difficult, much as our culture urges. But at the same time, have the wisdom to realize when you're in a hole and it's time to stop digging.

Successful people quit all the time.

Investors are another group who often must learn this lesson the hard way. When the prospects for their investment seem bleak, and it's clear that putting in more money is just throwing good after bad, they are reluctant to crystalize their losses.

There's no shame in quitting when it's clearly the best path to take. Even if that quitting means taking a loss, it can be preferable to continuing on and taking larger losses.

d c taveapont
02-17-07, 03:50 PM
damned good message in that....post....

DWG
02-17-07, 04:32 PM
We quit; we lose! The power of the jihad will only increase if we leave; their propaganda will convince the entire third world that we are not to be trusted or relied upon(or feared). If we don't put a stop to islamic terrorism now, we will be back to do it later. I don't want to wait for these muj to nuke a US city, I want to thin them out so much now we won't have to be looking over our shoulder for the next 30 yrs. Who knows, islam may actually have a reformation and drag itself into, if not the 21st, at least the 18th century.

10thzodiac
02-17-07, 05:09 PM
http://websrvr20.audiovideoweb.com/avwebdswebsrvr2143/news_video/VETSDAY2512K.mov

10thzodiac
02-17-07, 06:56 PM
http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/images/icons/icon5.gif Sgt Ron Kovak Veterans Day 2005

<HR style="COLOR: #ccccff" SIZE=1><!-- / icon and title --><!-- message -->http://websrvr20.audiovideoweb.com/a...TSDAY2512K.mov

Try the Main URL at: http://www.addictedtowar.com/ (http://www.addictedtowar.com/)

Click Video Link then Click Veterans Day at
Arlington West Santa Monica.

First, you may have to download a free player player there, if available ?

sgt tony
02-17-07, 08:57 PM
OK 10thzodica i watched the video and now I would like to say this. I understand that you do not support the war and want the troops home.
But if we do so then what do you say to the families that have lost a love one? Oh I am sorry but we supported the war at first but now we want to say that you loved ones have died and they serverd no purpose?
I also wonder should the Commander In Chief should have given up in all wars? If not why? If George Washington had we would not have won our freedom and became the Great America.
War cost lives and that is just a fact. So when is it that we give up and roll over and get that towle on your head? I will die before I let that happen to me or my family. I guess you will ask what color do they have.

Semper Fi Carry On Marines

OLE SARG
02-17-07, 09:10 PM
Our corkscrew politurds in D.C., mostly the democrats, i.e., bones pelosi, swimmer kennedy, fatass murtha, dickhead durbin, dirty harry, ugly clinton, and the list goes on and on, want to put out, which their parents should have done, and leave Iraq as we let the ******* democrats do for Vietnam!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Millions will die, the sheetheads will move in and take over, and then Iran will run the middle-east!!!!!
Is that solution you would be happy with 10th??????????? Give me your opinion and or answer and not a bunch of hogwash quotes!!

SEMPER FI,

10thzodiac
02-17-07, 09:34 PM
I find it incredible that anyone would believe that any country will be more of a threat to America if we just minded own business and kept our military strong, rather than squandering it around the globe. The treat to America demise is not external, but from within.

Suppose the Iraqi's or Usama's troops ever did get here, like I said before, we got the NRA and I alone, not too mention you guys, I can arm my whole fcuking block in an insurgency against them.

That's basically what the insurgency is doing over there [Iraq] now. Thanks to them now, we even have a lesson how to do it ! Remember, they have no fleets to get their troops here and we have heightened airport security. They can't even get a full tube a toothpaste aboard, let alone a Kalashnikov !

And suppose they got a few in, hell you guys are creaming in your pants to shoot someone, this will be a good excuse http://us.i1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/mesg/tsmileys2/01.gif

Aren't you guys really getting a little carried away with this threat, sheesh.

BTW, I hope they have blue towels, that's my favorite color http://us.i1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/mesg/tsmileys2/18.gif

DWG
02-17-07, 11:07 PM
Well it's obvious that they can get here (9/11). Airport security is a joke that only works against the law abiding. The next attack won't be an eighty year old woman with knitting needles, they will...

DWG
02-17-07, 11:08 PM
10Z you will get a off white towel and LIKE it!!!:mad:

10thzodiac
02-17-07, 11:37 PM
10Z you will get a off white towel and LIKE it!!!:mad:

True story: The wife bought blue towels for the bath, guess who exchanged them for white ? http://us.i1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/mesg/tsmileys2/01.gif

greensideout
02-18-07, 12:08 AM
For the most part I agree with you except for the last part---&quot;they will once again have a rich base to work from&quot;. I don't think that Iraq was ever a base of operation for terrorist giving threat to...

10thzodiac
02-18-07, 07:03 AM
DW, you better quit hanging around with left wing wacko's, you're starting to sound like one

YLDNDN6
02-18-07, 08:50 AM
When I was a kid, my brother and I got stung by a hornet while playing in the back yard. After this happened a couple of times, my dad went out back and found two hornet nests. He took the pesticide sprayer out of the shed and loaded it up with kerosene. After carefully covering himself with protective clothing, he approached the nests and doused them with kerosene. As he was fumbling with the patio torch that he already had lit and waiting for deployment, the hornets began swarming around him. He managed to ignite the first nest, but due to the hornet activity around him, was unable to light the second one. After running into the mud room and taking off all of the protective clothing, he stood with us and watched the one nest burn. This solution seemed to work for awhile, until the hornets in the second nest became immune to the kerosene fumes. They continued to swarm and sting us anytime we were in the back yard. It was not until our dad destroyed the second nest that the immediate hornet threat was eliminated. Sure, there were still hornets in the area, and sure, we got stung every now and again, but Dad had disrupted their lives enough that it really took considerable effort to mount any sort of organized attack on his kids. Maybe that's what is happening now...we've got the nests soaked with kerosene...we just need to light the damn things up and be done with them...

OLE SARG
02-18-07, 10:10 AM
Saw an article in the Sunday paper this morning about a kinder and more gentle military. BS about training to use RUBBER BULLETS and CONCUSSION EXPLOSIONS so the troops won't hurt anyone. Probably a ****ing democrat writing for the paper because he can't find a REAL ****ING JOB.
I always thought combat and war was breaking things and killing the bad guys - NOT FOR OUR ****ING POLITURDS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Just had to rant on that one!!!!

SEMPER FI,

MacAngus
02-18-07, 10:33 AM
If we did leave most of us say we lost. I saw on a iraq/iran documentary every time an islamist would enter or exit a building they shout death to america. Everyone they teach thier children this **** it's ingrained into thier very existance and way of life. These people who want us to pull out are going to have to realize that if we pull out our grandchildren and great grandchildren are going to be speaking arabic or whatever other haji trash that comes out of thier mouth.

YLDNDN6
02-18-07, 10:40 AM
And the truly maddening thing is that knowing this about them, it is frowned upon over here to try to instill in our own kids any sense of duty to country or sense that they will have to deal with these psychos some day. This country is getting softer every day, and we are in a death spiral that we will not pull out of unless we wake up and toughen up...NOW! But, I guess it is comfort enough for our politicians to know that at least OUR kids will fight to keep THEIR kids safe and warm...what a clusterfrick....

10thzodiac
02-18-07, 01:09 PM
And the truly maddening thing is that knowing this about them, it is frowned upon over here to try to instill in our own kids any sense of duty to country or sense that they will have to deal with these psychos some day. This country is getting softer every day, and we are in a death spiral that we will not pull out of unless we wake up and toughen up...NOW! But, I guess it is comfort enoughfor our politicians to know that at least OUR kids will fight to keep THEIR kids safe and warm...what a clusterfrick....

[New Yorker, 9/9/2002 (http://www.newyorker.com/fact/content/articles/020916fa_fact2a)] Richard Murphy, assistant secretary of state for Near East and South Asian relations during the Reagan administration, will later say, “We did spawn a monster in Afghanistan. Once the Soviets were gone [the people trained and/or funded by the US] were looking around for other targets, and Osama bin Laden has settled on the United States as the source of all evil. Irony? Irony is all over the place.” [Associated Press, 8/23/1998 (http://Associated Press, 8/23/1998)] In the late 1980s, Pakistani President Benazir Bhutto, feeling the mujahedeen network has grown too strong, tells President George H. W. Bush, “You are creating a Frankenstein.” However, the warning goes unheeded. [Newsweek, 10/1/2001 (http://Newsweek, 10/1/2001)] By 1993, President Bhutto tells Egyptian President Hosni Mubarak that Peshawar is under de facto control of the mujahedeen, and unsuccessfully asks for military help in reasserting Pakistani control over the city. Thousands of mujahedeen fighters return to their home countries after the war is over and engage in multiple acts of violence. One Western diplomat notes these thousands would never have been trained or united without US help, and says, “The consequences for all of us are astronomical.” [Atlantic Monthly, 5/1996 (http://Atlantic Monthly, 5/1996)]
Entity Tags: UK Secret Intelligence Service (http://www.cooperativeresearch.org/entity.jsp?entity=uk_secret_intelligence_service), UK Secret Intelligence Service (http://www.cooperativeresearch.org/entity.jsp?entity=uk_secret_intelligence_service), Central Intelligence Agency (http://www.cooperativeresearch.org/entity.jsp?entity=central_intelligence_agency), Benazir Bhutto (http://www.cooperativeresearch.org/entity.jsp?entity=benazir_bhutto)
Timeline Tags: Complete 911 Timeline (http://www.cooperativeresearch.org/timeline.jsp?timeline=complete_911_timeline)

Source: http://www.cooperativeresearch.org/context.jsp?item=a86operationcyclone

Phantom Winger
02-18-07, 05:17 PM
The threat to America demise is not external, but from within.

Glad to see we agree on this. ;)

ridingcrops
02-27-07, 12:05 PM
Maybe it's the times we live in but I don't see many young people who take pride in our country. I do see it in those who proudly serve in the military today which is full of brave and patriotic Americans. And I don't think they should be labeled as Dems or repubs.
If you guys want to throw labels around then label all the repubs who haven't served and those who dodged the draft system or outright deserted their obligations. But you all seem to want to label people who did serve and attack what they did instead of looking at those who did nothing more than use daddys connections to get out or service.
We need to tell these Iraqis that they have a time table when we will leave the security of their country to them. The Dems are saying maybe in 14 months, and if they don't want to take care of it themselves let the mujah kill them all. Then we can level the country and let them start over.

Sgt Leprechaun
02-28-07, 06:24 AM
1st, anything Ron Kovac (aka 'Born on the 4th of July') says is immediately suspect. He volunteered for his 2nd tour in Vietnam, was a hard charger, and got whacked. I'm damn sorry about that, but...

OLE SARG
02-28-07, 09:03 AM
crops,
you got so much left in you it is a wonder you can walk straight!!!!!!!!!!! You want to talk about a draft dodger, site your own "slick" willie clinton (remember he has a presidential library and massage parlor in Arkansas) - he did a damn fine job of eluding the "DRAFT"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And as president, he made us all proud, especially with the new definition of "sex". He is a lying, no-good, crooked, piece of ****!!!!!!!!!!!!! The only thing I remember about his administration is a stain on a dress - SEE the dumb**** didn't know where to put his wee willie!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SEMPER FI,

10thzodiac
03-01-07, 08:31 AM
Glad to see we agree on this. ;)

<TABLE style="MARGIN-TOP: 5px" cellSpacing=0 width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD class=sqtdq colSpan=2>“I am concerned for the security of our great Nation; not so much because of any threat from without, but because of the insidious forces working from within.” ~ Douglas MacArthur

Those threats MacArthur spoke about from within are directly dictated by the global masters who orchestrate wars and who are draining the life blood of America. The threat to the Union is both foreign and domestic.

One man with courage is a majority. And he is The Decider, our Commander-in-Chief George W. Bush. – Thomas Jefferson

“Some people in Tennessee say, um, like I think some in Texas do too, yeah I’m pretty sure of that…ah where was I?...oh yeah, Fool me once and ….(30 sec. delay for thought processing)…Shame on me….hehehe, tell me I didn’t get that right!

I know there’s a second part, hold on it’s coming to me. Um, Fool me twice…umm, er…(2 min. delay for thought processing)…I can’t be fooled again! You can only fool the Democrats twice, hehehe” ~ Leader of the Free World.

</TD></TR><TR><TD colSpan=2>

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>