PDA

View Full Version : Colonel is major influence

thedrifter
02-17-07, 08:14 AM
Colonel is major influence
February 17,2007
CHRISSY VICK

EDITOR'S NOTE: This is the last in a series of stories profiling Onslow County's intriguing black women of 2007. They will be honored by the Northeast Community Development Corp. at an awards ceremony tonight at Infant of Prague Catholic Church.

When Col. Adele Hodges first enlisted in the Marine Corps in 1978, she never imagined she'd get this far.

When joining the Corps, she had to be persuaded by her recruiter and younger sister, who also became a Marine. But now, looking back, she wouldn't have changed a thing.

"Right now there is nothing better than serving in the Marine Corps - the feeling of being with Marines, being around Marines," Hodges said. "I have truly enjoyed my career."

Serving as the first female commander of Camp Lejeune is something she calls an honor.

"It is an honor to be the first, but I don't try to command or lead as a black woman," Hodges said from her office Thursday. "I try to lead as a colonel."

Hodges was chosen by Newsweek among the top 10 women leaders in the country. She was also honored in October as one of six women leaders to speak at the CNN Inspire Summit.

Earlier this year, she was named Woman of the Year by the Jacksonville-Onslow Chamber of Commerce.

Now, she has been chosen by Onslow County's Northeast Community Development Corp. as one of the county's most intriguing black women of 2007.

A humble Hodges said she didn't know why she was chosen, but that it was an honor to be a part of a group of such distinguished black women.

Reaching the rank of colonel and commanding Camp Lejeune was never a goal for Hodges, she said. It wasn't something she even thought was an option in the 1970s.

"When I joined the Marine Corps I had no clue this was even possible," Hodges said. "When I was a young officer, the senior black female was a major. I'm still in awe of all of this."

Getting to this point took one step at a time, she said. Her advice to young people is to "keep reaching your goals no matter how hard they are, because nothing is out of the question."

"It wasn't easy getting here," Hodges said. "I didn't just walk in the door and put on these eagles. You grow where you're planted and use that to progress."

The journey took her from being a Connecticut college graduate to boot camp the following year. From there, she was commissioned in December 1980 and after school eventually landed in a supply battalion in Okinawa, Japan and later Hawaii, New Orleans and even the Middle East for Desert Storm. She went through duty stations in Kansas, Quantico, Va., Camp Pendleton, Calif., and even Norway before landing her new role at Camp Lejeune in December 2005.

Hodges has master's degrees in business administration, military art and science and strategic military studies. She has devoted her life to the Marine Corps, she said, and credits God and her parents as inspirations.

"The Lord was definitely watching over me in this career," Hodges said. "I was ready to get out at one point when I was passed over for major. But this is what the Lord had planned for me and I later realized that."

One of eight children, Hodges said her parents were her biggest supporters. And she is thankful that her father was able to see her reach the rank of lieutenant colonel before passing away.

"In boot camp, honor graduates' parents got to sit in the special seats, and my dad wanted that honor," Hodges said with a wide grin. "I wasn't an honor graduate, so he never got to sit there. But when I reached the rank of lieutenant colonel, my father was finally able to sit in the special seats. He passed away two months later."

She tries to lead by example by showing everyone due respect.

"Everyone is important and has a job to do," she said. "I try to let them know how important they are every chance I get."

Contact staff writer Chrissy Vick at cvick@freedomenc.com or by calling 353-1171, ext. 239.

Ellie