PDA

View Full Version : Where are all of you?

Pages : [1] 2

SgtHopperUSMC
02-16-07, 04:35 PM
I have noticed that no one puts much here. So where are all of the Desert Shield/Storm Marines?

2nd Plt "C" Co. 8th ESB 2nd FSSG 1st MEF Task Force Papa Bear

WHITFIELDAAV
03-03-07, 12:54 AM
Hey Devil Dog Here Is A Desert Storm Vet From 2nd Aav Bn And Just So U Know I Was Really There Do U Remember Camp 15 Or The Big Party After The War Like In The Movie Jarhead

WHITFIELDAAV
03-03-07, 12:57 AM
Hey To All U Aav Devil Dogs This Is Lcpl Whitfield Aka Peewee Saying What's Up From Atl Ga C/o 90 From Pi YOU CAN REACH ME WHITFIELDDARRIAN@YAHOO.COM OORAH

SgtHopperUSMC
03-08-07, 05:46 PM
Did not get to party much. My unit had to run the wash points while everyone else was heading home. I saw a lot of "AAV's", Tanks etc. get washed. Was camp 15 the one that had the olympic size swimming pools? I went to it once before the ground war started. I also was the NCOIC of the AT&T call center for a few weeks.

mark king
04-27-07, 06:52 PM
Hey Devil Dog Here Is A Desert Storm Vet From 2nd Aav Bn And Just So U Know I Was Really There Do U Remember Camp 15 Or The Big Party After The War Like In The Movie Jarhead

i dont remember a big party at the end of the ground war.we didnt have one.

maverickmarine
04-28-07, 08:50 AM
Yeah, we didn't have one either but I was in Tanks then and thanks for the wash there SgtHopper. LOL

SgtHopperUSMC
04-29-07, 08:09 PM
Yeah, we didn't have one either but I was in Tanks then and thanks for the wash there SgtHopper. LOL
I remember one tank unit getting their tanks nice and clean...Could'nt even have so much as a grain of sand on it. Well funny thing is they parked the just washed tanks on a sand parking lot at the port.... Yep they came back to the wash point.:p

Jarheadtanker
05-01-07, 07:41 PM
Hey all, Just making a quick stop here to report in. I was with 2nd Bn. 7th Marines, 1st Mar Div out of the friggin' stumps when we got called to serve in earnest for the GUlf War. We were in country 8 days after Saddam Hussein invaded Kuwait! The first couple of nights we slept under the stars hugging our weapons harder than any woman we have ever had!! OOH RAH!!

maverickmarine
05-03-07, 08:49 AM
I don't think we ever totally got all that sand out. I Know I probably still have some freakin' somewhere on me too. LOL

mark king
05-03-07, 11:26 AM
I don't think we ever totally got all that sand out. I Know I probably still have some freakin' somewhere on me too. LOL

isnt that the truth

gwladgarwr
05-03-07, 12:19 PM
Anyone here know a Cpl Timothy Romei? I went to junior high school with him in Oakland, CA. He joined out of San Francisco in 1986 or 1987.

He went MIA on Oct 8, 1990 during Desert Shield in the Gulf near Oman and Saudi Arabia (over water). He was aboard one of two UH1N
helicopters from HMM 164 embarked on the USS OKINAWA for an at-sea NVG
training operation off the coast of Oman. The two helicopters disappeared from radar and failed to respond to radio calls during the training mission. No wreckage or remains were ever recovered.

His status was changed from MIA to KIA/BNR in 2002.

Any info would be appreciated. Thanks.

Sgt gw:flag:

SgtHopperUSMC
05-05-07, 03:44 PM
Anyone remember the two ammo supply points? They were the largest ever constructed at the time.

mark king
05-06-07, 12:05 AM
Anyone here know a Cpl Timothy Romei? I went to junior high school with him in Oakland, CA. He joined out of San Francisco in 1986 or 1987.

He went MIA on Oct 8, 1990 during Desert Shield in the Gulf near Oman and Saudi Arabia (over water). He was aboard one of two UH1N
training operation off the coast of Oman. The two helicopters disappeared from radar and failed to respond to radio calls during the training mission. No wreckage or remains were ever recovered.

no sir

mark king
05-06-07, 12:07 AM
Anyone remember the two ammo supply points? They were the largest ever constructed at the time.

no i didnt see sh!t, but some goats and camels we were in the damn desert the whole time. i wish i did.

mark king
05-06-07, 12:09 AM
i am just tring to keep this thread going. there dosnt seem to be many gulf war marines out there.

poloclub
05-07-07, 02:06 AM
I was with VMA-214 Blacksheep, at the SCUD BOWL. I was NCOIC of the 3rd MAW FWD. I did some time at Tustin before going to Yuma. Spent time with HMM-164, HMM-161, HMH-363, MABS-16 & H&MS-16. Anyone out there???

SgtHopperUSMC
05-09-07, 05:41 PM
Yes it seems our war vets ( Desert Shield/Storm ) are a quiet bunch....It's too bad. Could it be that our short ground war seems so insignificant now? We did so much in so little time. The so called clean war on CNN. It was more like watching a video game I suppose. Except the Highway of death they showed. That is when they wanted us to stop.

mark king
05-09-07, 08:32 PM
hey any of you guys ever have camel spiders vs. scorpion fights? over there
i lost a lot of money on those.

SgtHopperUSMC
05-12-07, 06:55 PM
I have noticed that no one puts much here. So where are all of the Desert Shield/Storm Marines?

2nd Plt "C" Co. 8th ESB 2nd FSSG 1st MEF Task Force Papa BearOops I mean II MEF

SgtHopperUSMC
05-12-07, 06:56 PM
i lost a lot of money on those.Nope but saw one big ol lizard and a bunch of Desert Rats or Mice:yes:

mark king
05-13-07, 08:00 PM
those kangaroo rats were a pain the azz.

GuidoG
05-16-07, 11:39 PM
Heres another Desert Strom Vet !st Bn 3rd MAr there 90/91. Had no party after the either. Cpl Gualco

maverickmarine
05-19-07, 07:10 AM

That would have been awesome to see! I hated them both.

Yeah, I would say that next to the Nam vets and the guys that are getting some now, the Desert Shield/Desert Storm thing doesn't seem to be that much. I was at the Battle of Khafji and I can guarantee it was something to me though. I was also in Somalia and Hattie but still doesn't seem like I did enough and I'm sure that many of the Desert Shield/Desert Storm vets feel the same way.

mark king
05-19-07, 09:58 PM
camel spider vs scorpion was way better than scorpion on scorpion.

i kind of feel empy,we didnt really get to finish the war in my oppion,if they would let them do what they really need to do in iraq to stomp out this insurgence and stop being so p f@#ken c it would be done.they let us do our job and stayed out of it,(the dorks in washington) and we smashed them in 100 hrs.and we didnt let any media with us to get in our way.

maverickmarine
05-20-07, 05:30 AM
I am 100% with ya on that one. At that time we knew where Sadam was and we could've taken care of that back then. Hell, I remember even after that he would screw up our liberty constantly because it would always seem to be on Friday right before liberty that he would pull his tanks up to the border or do some stupid **** and we would secured and have to gear up only for him to back down around Monday or early next week. We REALLY wished we had've taken him out previously. LOL.

redbone64
05-20-07, 10:05 PM
Semper Fi, I was bobbing around the gulf for the whole thing. Praying that I could get off of the boat for a while.

SgtHopperUSMC
05-23-07, 01:59 PM
Semper Fi, I was bobbing around the gulf for the whole thing. Praying that I could get off of the boat for a while.Thanks for keeping those many many divisions busy on the coast. Was it 11 or so? Either way you guys on the boats did a great job. I was clearing the mine fields. They told us in a breifing to expect 50% casualties. We only had 1 in my company and he shot himself.:nerd:

LilyCricket
06-03-07, 08:46 PM
HQBN Comm Co, 2d MarDiv...

In response to an earlier inquiry->15 was not the one with the pool... I think that was Camp Five. We were on 15 prior to and afterwards.

danjate1
06-03-07, 11:49 PM
I hope that all you LeatherNuts aren't complaining that we think that war wasn't a war! A war is a WAR whether it last one day or 20 ****ing years, and if anyone thinks that any small scaled war or scurmish is just a souped up video game is a ****ing retard! Don't ever think that any MARINE or any service member is forgotten for what they have done. Don't ever think that what you did wasn't enough, just being a Marine is enough!!!

Remember Semper Fi !!!

SgtHopperUSMC
06-04-07, 04:08 PM
I hope that all you LeatherNuts aren't complaining that we think that war wasn't a war! A war is a WAR whether it last one day or 20 ****ing years, and if anyone thinks that any small scaled war or scurmish is just a souped up video game is a ****ing retard! Don't ever think that any MARINE or any service member is forgotten for what they have done. Don't ever think that what you did wasn't enough, just being a Marine is enough!!!

Remember Semper Fi !!!I believe some of us were just stating feelings that we can not talk to anyone else about. If a guy says he feels like we didnt do enough to stop it then thats his feelings. We did all we were asked to do. The plan was free Kuwait... We did it... It was not a game. An old vet asked me once if I saw the white elephant. Did you? The night before the fight is always the same no matter what the war. Same gut wrenching feelings/excitement. Same letters being written. It looked like Hell on the horizon. We made it through. Some had it worse than others. We did it together. It was well planned and led by some great leaders.:flag:

ssgtt32
06-04-07, 09:22 PM
I guess that I am the senior man on deck, however I was a Cpl during the gulf war, deployed with BGen C.C. Krulak, I was with the DSC, G-3 Operations, 2d FSSG, II MEF, Al Khandjar, Al Kibrit, Al Mishab!

Semper Fi my Brothers
Maurice

mark king
06-05-07, 06:48 PM
checking in.

SgtHopperUSMC
06-05-07, 07:22 PM
I guess that I am the senior man on deck, however I was a Cpl during the gulf war, deployed with BGen C.C. Krulak, I was with the DSC, G-3 Operations, 2d FSSG, II MEF, Al Khandjar, Al Kibrit, Al Mishab!

Semper Fi my Brothers
Maurice2nd Plt."C" Co. 8th ESB 2nd FSSG, Col. Skipper "Skippers way or no way " I think GGen Krulack was my series Captain in Boot Camp...

ssgtt32
06-06-07, 12:34 PM
Yea I remember Col Skipper, I always thought it was funny that his initals were C.O., and can you imaigine the kind of Sh-t he caught when he was a Capt, (Skipper-Skipper) LOL.

maverickmarine
06-06-07, 12:38 PM
I believe some of us were just stating feelings that we can not talk to anyone else about. If a guy says he feels like we didnt do enough to stop it then thats his feelings. We did all we were asked to do. The plan was free Kuwait... We did it... It was not a game. An old vet asked me once if I saw the white elephant. Did you? The night before the fight is always the same no matter what the war. Same gut wrenching feelings/excitement. Same letters being written. It looked like Hell on the horizon. We made it through. Some had it worse than others. We did it together. It was well planned and led by some great leaders.:flag:

Amen to that.

GuidoG
06-06-07, 01:22 PM
Your right, we did are job while we were there. Yet, when I got on that plane to leave, I was thinking to myself we still had more to do.
Seems like the job will be carried on by more Marines.:flag:

CPLGRAY90-94
06-06-07, 10:29 PM
Hey guys! new to the board. I was with 1st bat. 5th Marines from Pendleton. Got to mop up the lovely Highway of Death. Used to have some pretty gruesome pics but had to get rid of them when i started a family. Did'nt want the kids to stumble on em. Plus it helped get rid of bad memories. Anybody have sleeping problems when you got back? Just wondering. Anyway, stay safe and good chattin with yall.

ericamarine
06-06-07, 11:35 PM
I was there sounds like you all had way more fun than I

maverickmarine
06-09-07, 11:25 AM
I am not sure if you mean just adjusting your sleep pattern problems or due to actual memories sleeping problems but I had both. That's where it all started and then I added to those sleeping problems throughout my career and still have them to this day, just not as often as before.

SgtHopperUSMC
06-09-07, 08:18 PM
Hey guys! new to the board. I was with 1st bat. 5th Marines from Pendleton. Got to mop up the lovely Highway of Death. Used to have some pretty gruesome pics but had to get rid of them when i started a family. Did'nt want the kids to stumble on em. Plus it helped get rid of bad memories. Anybody have sleeping problems when you got back? Just wondering. Anyway, stay safe and good chattin with yall.I was a bit jumpy at loud noises at first but that went away. Still have trouble sleeping, no nightmares though. I am rated 20% disabled due to undiagnosed skin disorder and psoriosis (I'm sure I misspelled that). :nerd:

SgtHopperUSMC
06-19-07, 12:01 PM
Are there any web sites for Persian Gulf vets?

Quinbo
06-21-07, 12:54 AM
Hey guys! new to the board. I was with 1st bat. 5th Marines from Pendleton. Got to mop up the lovely Highway of Death. Used to have some pretty gruesome pics but had to get rid of them when i started a family. Did'nt want the kids to stumble on em. Plus it helped get rid of bad memories. Anybody have sleeping problems when you got back? Just wondering. Anyway, stay safe and good chattin with yall.

I used to know a Cpl Gray from 1/5. The one I knew transferred with his Navy wife to Guam. You ever heard of him?

FistFu68
06-21-07, 04:54 AM
:evilgrin: WELCOME HOME MARINES~DEATH BEFORE DISHONOR :evilgrin:

GuidoG
06-21-07, 09:26 PM
Yea I had and still have sleep problems since my return. Some due to bad dreams/memories, other due to sleep apnea.(breathing disoerder).
Welcome Home

ferg81mm
06-23-07, 09:47 AM
i was with 81's plt wpns co blt 1/8, we were the right flank for the 2nd mar. div. breeching and designated to clear kuwait city,had heavy contact at phase line "bear"

why i don't come hear

wha wha wha, where do you have sand

[Originally Posted by bigalholmes165

Excellent tribute.

Except for 'ferg81mm', the rest of the viewers have been of the +50 crowd.

We need more of the younger set to read this.

Thanks Jim.

so what exactly do you mean except for me, that websight is the active duty first blt eighth marines web sight, and it just shows that the active duty keeps that attack in mind everywhere they go. I joined the blt four years and three weeks after the attack, and when the blt was in kuwait, that attack played heavily on what that blt did after the cease fire.
I was simply showing a related link]

SgtHopperUSMC
06-24-07, 09:33 PM
Yea I had and still have sleep problems since my return. Some due to bad dreams/memories, other due to sleep apnea.(breathing disoerder).
Welcome HomeJust went to the heart doctor the other day due to some strange feelings in my chest area and skipping beat. Seemed fine during the checkup but have been ordered to do some testing. One of them is a sleep study. I my have apnea too. My matress is usually 4 inches left or right of center by morning due to the tossing and turning.:(

MSgtBowling
06-28-07, 09:57 PM
I was with 11th Mar, Radar Plt. I thought it sucked at the time but it was really one of the best tours I ever had. Had a great team and we were pretty close. We lost one Marine KIA, Sgt Pack, and one WIA, Cpl Collins.
When I got back I had the screaming wild banchie ****s for about two years. Navy witch doctors wouldn't do nothing for me. Finnally went on recruiting duty and went to an Air Force Hospital, Told them my problem and they sent me to the "fifth" floor. I reckon that was where they sent all the Gulf veterans that claimed problems. They ran about three million tests. Then prescribed a bottle of antibiotics and the shrimpies were gone forever. Kind of a ****ty story but that was all i got from the sandbox.

echo7
06-29-07, 06:12 PM
I was with Task Force Ripper (1/5), We left the Jungles of Panama, onlt to turn around 12 hours later to end up in Saudi. and like others we were there within days of the invasion of Kuwait.:flag:

Quinbo
06-30-07, 02:22 AM
Echo7 I would like to add that within 30 days of our return we were sent to Oki for 4 months

echo7
06-30-07, 09:33 AM
Yep, you are absolutely correct, so how did the rest of your time in OKI come out anyway?, By the way it's good to hear from some that's been there and done that, did you keep up with your military Rodeo interest?:bunny:

Sgt Jim
06-30-07, 11:18 AM
to all my brother marines,from WWI and earlier to WWII korea viet nam desert storm/desert shield Iraq, afgan .Iam proud to have been part of the best that ever is and always will be.Semper Fi

SgtHopperUSMC
07-01-07, 10:03 PM
to all my brother marines,from WWI and earlier to WWII korea viet nam desert storm/desert shield Iraq, afgan .Iam proud to have been part of the best that ever is and always will be.Semper FiNot have been...Once a Marine Always a Marine....If it's in your heart you still are.

Semper Fi!!
:flag:

Sgt Jim
07-01-07, 10:31 PM
how true SgtHhopperUSMC.its on my motorcycle,its on my truck.its on my wifes car.its on my son truck.it is in my heart as well,i still live by the marine corps creed every day,the stars and stripes that fly on my deck with the Marine corps flag.i still live,breath,eat and sleep at attention.Sir Yes Sir.Semper Fi to all my brothers

mark king
07-06-07, 12:22 PM
Not have been...Once a Marine Always a Marine....If it's in your heart you still are.

Semper Fi!!
:flag:

it on all my cars also.

maverickmarine
07-06-07, 12:51 PM
Absolutely. I have it on our vehicles, the flags fly proud, it's all over my garage and of course it wouldn't be complete without my love me wall in the office. LOL. Not to mention that most t-shirts I own have something to do with the Corps. Get some!

GUNNY MAX
07-06-07, 04:08 PM
MAG-11, VMFA-314 "BLACK KNIGHTS"
We were at Shiek Isa (We called it Shakys Pizza) in Bahrain.
Just one scud hit, scorpions, and lots of lost sleep. I had a "pet" scorpion until the SgtMaj made me kill it.

zoomgofstr
07-08-07, 05:27 AM
I was with HMLA-367 "Scarface" for the 90/91 Gulf War. I spent time at Jubail and Tanajib airfields. I am pretty sure Camp 5 was the Olympic pool. What was the camp on the persian gulf. We went swimming there. The water was so salty you could just about lay into it and float. Then there were the fish that bit at your legs. Anyone try to map out your camps in Google Earth?

zoomgofstr
07-08-07, 06:07 AM

I am not sure how this post works but in reply to "gwladgarwr" post about Cpl Timothy Romei. He was flying with HMLA-267 (w/HMM-164). A/C 160622 collided with 160178 Oct 8, 1990. Cpl Romei was flying with LCpl T Adams, Sgt J. Kilkus, Sgt John Keller, Capt W. Cronin, Capt G. Dillon, Capt K. Dolvin, Capt W. Hurley. Once I read your post I was scratching my head because I don't remember hearing of that accident. Obviously, I don't know everytime an aircraft goes down but HMLA-267 was a sister squadron at Camp Pendleton. My squadron shared the line in saudi Arabia with HMLA-369. Word usually goes out across the squadrons when a skid goes down. So I did some research on it and that was all I could come up with. If that helps you any. I don't know anything more.

SgtHopperUSMC
07-08-07, 07:29 PM
I was with HMLA-367 "Scarface" for the 90/91 Gulf War. I spent time at Jubail and Tanajib airfields. I am pretty sure Camp 5 was the Olympic pool. What was the camp on the persian gulf. We went swimming there. The water was so salty you could just about lay into it and float. Then there were the fish that bit at your legs. Anyone try to map out your camps in Google Earth?I tried to look for the ammo supply points that we built. I believe I can make out the outline of one of them. They were the largest ever built at that time and probably still are.

zoomgofstr
07-09-07, 07:05 AM
I have always been in flying squadrons but never really flew much, especially during the gulf war. I only flew out to repair downed aircraft. Anyhow, It surprised the heck out of me when I found Tanajib on the map and it was nearly a stones through from the <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" /><st1:place>Persian Gulf</st1:place>. I was doing security duty at that time, riding hummers and 5 tons with machine guns. I just kind of imagined that we were out in the absolute middle of the desert. Looking out into that mess of desert smoke and haze you couldn't tell what was desert and sky. Of course I could have asked if the ocean was over there but why would I if I thought I was out in the middle of no where.

glennsea
07-09-07, 01:25 PM
Another DS Vet here. I was with HMA-775 at the time at Jabail and Lonesome Dove.

FistFu68
07-09-07, 02:25 PM
:usmc: WELCOME HOME :usmc:

brown598
07-10-07, 09:11 PM
Hey lilycricket- I was there Hqbn Comm Co radio plt 2nd mardiv, I was with the Forward Element for 2nd MarDiv.

dingman
07-11-07, 11:10 PM
Hey Devil Dog Here Is A Desert Storm Vet From 2nd Aav Bn And Just So U Know I Was Really There Do U Remember Camp 15 Or The Big Party After The War Like In The Movie Jarhead What party are you talking about, I was with MWSS273 we Started at Jabal THen Mishab then Lonesome Dove then off to many different FARPS. I was in both of the large ammo dumps and went Thru kafji and on into Kuwait airport. And I never once seen any party. Did Fly back to Camp5 for a few hours for (parts,ha ha). I still have troubles with load sudden noices and nightmares, but who said memories need to be bad. Also is there anyone out there who remebers the Frog missles at Mishab waterpoint.

Semper Fi
Jim Dingman :beer: :beer: :beer:

LilyCricket
07-12-07, 08:35 AM
Yeah, where the hell was that party? There are SEVERAL things from that movie that I don't remember....

SgtHopperUSMC
07-31-07, 06:01 PM
Anyone remember the two ammo supply points? They were the largest ever constructed at the time. I stand corrected. Only one was the largest and that was in Marine Corps history. I was part of CSSD-11 in support of Task Force Papa Bear.

jetdoc
07-31-07, 06:29 PM
I was a REMF during Desert Shield/Storm...not only REMF but REMF in the DCANG...but I was at Andrews AFB doing my thing to support the team.

rayezor7
08-07-07, 01:29 PM
I was on Okinawa during the gulf war. i was attached to 9th motors for stand by

SGT. Crist
08-07-07, 04:14 PM
3/2 afloat on USS LaMoure County (8 months on an LST) as the diversion force offshore.

SgtHopperUSMC
08-15-07, 10:04 PM
Looks like a lot take a look at this thread but don't say much. Just wait till we get even older. Then we will have more to say huh? Anyway it was good that some did post. I thought maybe we were all gone. Semper Fi!! :flag:

corey lemley
08-16-07, 07:52 AM
SSG Lemley here yes I remember the ammo points since I was in Cco 8thENG
We made a lot of history there we also breached the two belts of minefields so the tankers and other hard charging devildogs could continue the assault on Saddams sorry ass army

SgtHopperUSMC
08-18-07, 03:48 PM
SSG Lemley here yes I remember the ammo points since I was in Cco 8thENG
We made a lot of history there we also breached the two belts of minefields so the tankers and other hard charging devildogs could continue the assault on Saddams sorry ass armyIts good to hear from you SSG Lemley. You are the only one from the Company that I have ever run across on the web. Hope you are doing well. Alls fine here.:flag:

BulldogMP
08-18-07, 09:07 PM
Checking in.Was with MWSS-271,MP's.Started at Jubayl,then setup at Tanajib.
Did camp and airfield security,checkpoints and roadblocks with Saudis'.Helo inserted at Al Jaber airfield as the point security for the farp site.Then wound up at Kuwait Int'l.Didn't know about any parties.Had to leave on our advance party to escort comsec material.:cry: :mad: :flag:

funtuff2003
08-19-07, 06:19 AM
I'm also Checking in. I was with 3rd LAAM Bn. We were at the SCUD BOWL for the first 2 weeks in country. Then we moved out into the desert near the borders. I still remember that country like I was there yesterday. After the war we moved south to Camp Ras al Gar, or something like that. It was a Saudi base on the Persian Gulf...it had a nice beach. There we waited to go home. My Bn left but a firing platoon from Alpha Battery stayed back to provide cover for 8th Marines who was waiting on the UN pease keeping forces to arrive. I was attached to Alpha Battery, so I didn't get home until late June '91. We missed all of the home coming celebrations. Well, I just wanted to say hello to all my Gulf War brothers. Semper Fi!!!!

GuidoG
08-22-07, 10:28 PM
:usmc: Hey devildogs, anyone from 1/3? I was with h&s Co guarded alot of the pow's there in ds:flag:

ENGR1371
08-24-07, 03:19 PM
Desert Storm Vet here! It's hard to believe it's been that many years ago already! 2nd SRIG!
Who remembers the "Sonic Boom!" at AL Jubayl? That SOB would have woken the Dead! How about the SCUD that killed those Army Personnel at Dhahran? Here's one more: "The Highay of Death!" all I can say is "UNREAL!" I still remember that! Loud noises aren't for me anymore, that about did it there! I still wake up in the middle of the night hearing those noises!
I don't run into to many GW1 vets!
I guess our time is up, forgotten like all the other wars!
Maybe Deserted Storm? We should have went all the way back then, oh well!
Maybe one day my arms will stop breaking out in a bad rash, from that crap over there, and maybe one day I won't have anymore nightmares! Whattya do?
Take Care Brothers,
Semper Fi!

FistFu68
08-24-07, 05:21 PM
:usmc: WELCOME HOME MARINE :usmc:

KemoAco4thTanks
08-29-07, 04:15 AM
Looks like the perfect thread for my first post. I was with A Co. 4th Tank Bn. attatched to 3/5 on the USS Mount Vernon. The only party I remember was the rice party we threw in Bangladesh on the way home (Operation Sea Angel).

CplMikeCox
09-08-07, 10:03 PM
Just found this site. I was also in Charlie Co. 8th engineers. Hello to Sgt. Hopper. I Think I remember seeing you around.

Ssgt. Lemley. I Have often wondered how you are, and wanted to thank you and your wife for standing in my wedding. Are you still in touch with any of the others from those days?

maverickmarine
09-10-07, 08:51 AM
SgtHopper,

Yeah, we're still around. Thanks for starting the thread though.

SgtHopperUSMC
09-10-07, 04:42 PM
Good to hear from so many. Hello Cpl Cox...

Keep the ball rolling!:marine:

RocketHound
09-19-07, 09:44 PM
3rd TKBN AT/TOW Co
Task Force Ripper

DStout
09-29-07, 01:44 AM
2nd Bn, 3rd Marines
Comm Plt.
Task Force Taro
In Country Jan 91-Apr 91

gwladgarwr
09-30-07, 05:44 PM
no sir

You know, that's why I love this website.

Sir, it was your reply of "no, sir" that got me in touch with Cpl Romei's family once again.

His MIA date is coming up (Oct 8, 1990), and his sister Susie (hey, no jokes on that one, nasties!) googled his name recently and found leatherneck.com and the post I placed last May. So, she PMs me, and I just got off the phone with her - damn, the last time I saw her, she was in elementary school! She's a mom with kids now and in her 30's (I'm almost 40 so she shouldn't feel bad!).

She really loves her brother, and the fact that one of our own, one of our brother Marines, has not come back, has not diminished the fact that the Marine Corps lives forever, even if one devildog does not come back.

So, you see, you can never give up, and even if you think you should, you can get blind-sided with a reality check.

An old junior high school classmate and a brother Marine won't ever be forgotten. I just got lucky and got to tell his sister that I became a Marine because of him. Carry the f*** on, Marines.:beer:

Sgt gw

Dave Roof
10-16-07, 06:20 PM
MALS-11 Ordnance, Sheik Isa Air Base, Bahrain..........Good times, great Marines, many memories!

Too many stories.....the one about the MP's OIC finding our buried Coor's party ball is one of the most memorable though!

I was a LCpl, was called 'Sweet Cheeks' by our CO, LtCol John J. Moyer......don't ask (and no pervs, it's not what you're thinkin')

SSgt Campbell......What's that freakin' red ring around your face?

"I fell asleep with my gas mask on.............shut the F*%k up Roof and stop laughing" Ahhhhhh, the memories!

IYAOYAS!

SSgt Dave Roof
MALS-42 Ordnance
NAS Atlanta

TJR1070
10-17-07, 08:08 AM
Mag-50, 5th MEB, Tanajib, Saudi Arabia - Kuwait International Airport - Gator boxes in the Gulf - Operation Sea Angel, Bangladesh. It was only supposed to be a three hour tour, a three hour tour.

ojibway
10-23-07, 03:50 PM
I served with cold steel 1/6 during the storm. I have only managed to contact 4 marines from my plt. What a ride it was. I had the pleasure of hitting some bunkers and built up areas. Tip of the spear. Semper Fi.:evilgrin:

cplstone
11-08-07, 11:18 AM
I also was the NCOIC of the AT&T call center for a few weeks.

Man, during that time, I wish I had met you. That place was a god send!!!!

cplstone
11-08-07, 11:49 AM
I was with HQ Co 2nd LAI Bn 2nd MarDiv. Me and another Cpl ran our forward maint. support. If the line co. mechs couldn't fix it, it came to us, if we couldn't fix it, it went on to the rear.

I remember 2 of our vehicles got it going throught the mine field. A 5-ton and an LAV. We had to be light concious, and we were under that LAV with a welder trying to cut off the broken bits!! He'd strike an arc and you could see for miles!!

Big Jim
11-08-07, 01:38 PM
I was with 2nd Recon in Khafji when the war started and was attached to a United Nations Security Forces which consisted of French Foreign Legionnaires and some special ops from the Army, and we ran acros alot of Marines and Army that resupplied us with water, food and ammo. I still keep in contact with few of the guys. Some guys I knew have that Gulf War Syndrome, but I never had any symptoms. But who the hell knows from all the chemicals we were exposed to and the untested medicines they made us take!

ojibway
11-08-07, 02:03 PM
It is good to hear from some ohter hounds. Thanks for your service brothers. I too was wondering where are the other spartans. I have only tracked down 4 marines from my plt so far. A funny situation happened almost 2 years ago. A lady asked me if I was in combat. I said yes. Her son was in the army. I laughed to myself and thought it wasn't the army that went in the front door. At any rate, semper fi.:flag:

brianlg
11-08-07, 08:11 PM
I just ran across this site. I was with MALS 11 at Shiek Isa. Man those were some big scorpions. Anybody have the privledge of floating over on the USNS Curtis, what a ride. Semper Fi

SgtHopperUSMC
11-09-07, 10:11 PM
Saw one big 'ol lizard and a desert rat/mouse that one of the guys tried to keep in an ammo can until someone pointed out that it was air tight! :)

P.S. One of the guys didn't like the lizard and killed it with a shovel. :(

Happy Birthday Marines !!!:flag:

cpl3531
11-11-07, 10:06 PM
sgt hopper i was with motor t ops platoon support company 8th esb at the time. we were split up between the letter companies at the time,dont remember which one i went to but we had gunner leo as a plt commander the best i remember. during desert shield/storm we were onboard the USS Trenton(LPD 14).good to find brother marines from 8th esb. here are a couple of other sites you may want to check out to see if you can find any more brother marines that you served with.

www.********************* (http://www.*********************)

www.************* (http://www.*************)

cpl3531
11-11-07, 10:07 PM
sorry for the sites not showing in previous post.feel free to contact me if anyone wants the sites:marine:

doggnuttz
11-29-07, 09:38 AM
semper fi to all.gulf war,dessert shield,dessert storm, earnest will, just cause,dessert rain, all covered by this dogg. 2nd laad btn death from below.

doggnuttz
11-29-07, 09:43 AM
havnt found 1 buddy from the time i served,not even from boot camp. i feel like im the only one still alive out here. plt 3054 parris island 1987 h co. 2nd laad btn cherry point 1988-93. played on the usmc basketball team . zollicoffer. call me 330 371 4215

doggnuttz
11-29-07, 09:45 AM
doggnuttz38@aol.com exum, gardner,losone,gerkin,gavin,porter,acosta,cruz,ups haw,mitchel,whitesell.......were u guyz at?

mark king
11-30-07, 05:17 PM
havnt found 1 buddy from the time i served,not even from boot camp. i feel like im the only one still alive out here. plt 3054 parris island 1987 h co. 2nd laad btn cherry point 1988-93. played on the usmc basketball team . zollicoffer. call me 330 371 4215

i was in 3054 1987 may- aug.

levatte
12-17-07, 03:08 AM
I did my laundry @ Camp 15. Lot WM's there. You Marines had it good.;)

levatte
12-17-07, 03:12 AM
Camp Schwab 4th Marines here!!
OOOO RAAAH!

kaboom1371
01-04-08, 01:33 AM
I think it was camp 3 that had the olympic pool. it's was tent city that we long term borrowed the hummers from the REMFS. Don't worry we gave them back when we were done with them......

SgtHopperUSMC
01-08-08, 06:45 PM
Anyone remember all the chemical alarms going off at the ammo supply point? I was setting my squad in position when it happend. I looked toward what I believe was A Company 8th ESB ( could've been B ) and seeing a guy giving the "NBC" signal. We made a mad dash to the bunker until the all clear was given.

kaboom1371
01-10-08, 10:19 PM
I was a combat engineer over there and was with Task Force Ripper, Pappa bear and Grizzly at one time or another. Spent some time with Army psyops also. that was fun.

SgtHopperUSMC
01-11-08, 04:21 PM
I was a combat engineer over there and was with Task Force Ripper, Pappa bear and Grizzly at one time or another. Spent some time with Army psyops also. that was fun.I was with 3rd CEB in 87/88 also. Noticed you had been there too. I was with C Co 8th ESB task force Pappa Bear.

kaboom1371
01-11-08, 08:09 PM
I was with 3rd CEB in 87/88 also. Noticed you had been there too. I was with C Co 8th ESB task force Pappa Bear.

I was there in 88. Mostly with C co. Were you there when we started the newbee swim qualifications between the barracks? Just glad we started it and never had to go through what ever was thrown in there during a 2 day pre-party for it. Oh, Did you go to Team Spirit 88?

SgtHopperUSMC
01-12-08, 04:02 PM
I was there in 88. Mostly with C co. Were you there when we started the newbee swim qualifications between the barracks? Just glad we started it and never had to go through what ever was thrown in there during a 2 day pre-party for it. Oh, Did you go to Team Spirit 88?C Co. 3rd CEB Capt Bunting or something like that. We had to restore one of the hills behind Kinville because his former company put an LZ on it by mistake. I remember some names from the company like Hefron and Bruton. Probably spelled wrong but sounds right. Yes I was at Team Spirit 88. Had some of that sand from the steel plant get in my eye. We put up tent city on the dock.

kaboom1371
01-12-08, 09:59 PM
Yes I was at Team Spirit 88. Had some of that sand from the steel plant get in my eye. We put up tent city on the dock.

We took the USS Juneau over there and bailed out the back in tracks, that was cool. did you here about a guy burning down a cemetary over there? That was one of my boys. One of our tracks ran over a civilian truck and we settled with 5 cases of MREs. lol. what a deal. I'm starting to relize why they always sent me and my boys where lead was flying. **** we were hell and a lot of trouble. lmao

SgtHopperUSMC
01-13-08, 03:46 PM
We took the USS Juneau over there and bailed out the back in tracks, that was cool. did you here about a guy burning down a cemetary over there? That was one of my boys. One of our tracks ran over a civilian truck and we settled with 5 cases of MREs. lol. what a deal. I'm starting to relize why they always sent me and my boys where lead was flying. **** we were hell and a lot of trouble. lmaoI may have been there before you got there. We only stayed about 30 days just to build tent city. I remember a construction shop we built somewhere near the steel plant. Man did I ever get messed up there. I begged the Gunny to put my travel check in the company safe. Spent every dime in Korea. :(

SgtHopperUSMC
01-19-08, 05:32 PM
Looks like I got off the subject a bit. Now back to the desert....

Where were you when the cease fire started? I was at an airfield just inside Kuwait. We had been moving too fast and had to pause for a few. A few hours later it was over.:banana:

kaboom1371
01-27-08, 12:47 AM
we were probably close to each other. we paused at Al Jabar air field for a little bit and was going to Kuwait City when cease fire was called.

SgtHopperUSMC
01-27-08, 06:46 PM
we were probably close to each other. we paused at Al Jabar air field for a little bit and was going to Kuwait City when cease fire was called.I'd say closer than you think. What company were you in? My unit moved back to the minefields and stayed there for awhile before moving back to the first big supply point. Then back to the port to run the wash points.

kaboom1371
01-27-08, 07:30 PM
I was with 1st CEB C company. We were so spread out among the Task Forces. I was with all of them at one point or another there. We just bounced around from place to place. Pretty much on our own...

SgtHopperUSMC
01-28-08, 12:45 PM
I remember that! We did the second breach and maintained after. There was a track in the mine field, second belt I believe, but it looked like it had hit a mine.

kaboom1371
01-28-08, 01:38 PM
I would say that was it! Ripper took that one out for us. There should have been a lot of gear laying around maybe 50 yards northeast of the track. Once we pulled the trackers out we high tailed it out of there. We ditched a lot of unwanted and useless gear there.

SgtHopperUSMC
01-28-08, 08:03 PM
I would say that was it! Ripper took that one out for us. There should have been a lot of gear laying around maybe 50 yards northeast of the track. Once we pulled the trackers out we high tailed it out of there. We ditched a lot of unwanted and useless gear there.Seemed to be a lot of gear left around it. Lucky no one stepped on an AP mine. I was next to a guy that was just inches away from stepping on one.

MoparScott
01-31-08, 05:12 PM
What party are you talking about, I was with MWSS273 we Started at Jabal THen Mishab then Lonesome Dove then off to many different FARPS. I was in both of the large ammo dumps and went Thru kafji and on into Kuwait airport. And I never once seen any party. Did Fly back to Camp5 for a few hours for (parts,ha ha). I still have troubles with load sudden noices and nightmares, but who said memories need to be bad. Also is there anyone out there who remebers the Frog missles at Mishab waterpoint.

Semper Fi
Jim Dingman
I remember, most times I hear the word "Frog" or "Styx" I find myself back at Mishab re-living it for a brief moment. The first night that they hit was a shocker, I just remember being ****ed off. One of the last salvos that hit during those weeks, we had dirt hitting us as we're running to the bunkers. It sucked to sit there a take it, I wanted to bring the fight to them. Also enjoyed watching the Saudis move south after the first rockets hit. I was with MATCS-28, I have to scan all the photos and post them up.

kaboom1371
02-10-08, 05:10 PM
the round hit through the hull and into the motor missed the charges and did not detonate them. Lucky boys. We yanked them out and took them with us. That would be their gear left by the tracks.

SgtHopperUSMC
02-16-08, 06:44 PM
My unit stayed in the area for 30 days after pulling back from the airfield. There was an Abrams that hit a mine in the same belt I think. One morning a Hummer with a high ranking officer came up to the lane before we had checked it as was our daily routine. He was told he should wait but went ahead. The Hummer hit a mine and blew the whole back out of it. Not sure if they where hurt bad.

grosengr
02-18-08, 06:04 PM
2d LAAM Bn., Scud Bowl, and all over the place. Please excuse the "Ooppps" missile launched in Bahrain. Oh, yes, I remember, never happened.

grosengr
02-18-08, 06:24 PM
2d LAAM, Scud Bowl and all over the place, Now in California with ARINC (Aeronautical Radio Inc.)

grosengr
02-18-08, 06:27 PM
Was with 8th ESB Comm Plt. around early 80's
Jerry

SgtHopperUSMC
02-24-08, 09:51 PM
Anyone tried to google earth the areas you were in during Desert Storm? I did it and I swear I can see a big square area that may have been one of the supply points.

SgtHopperUSMC
02-29-08, 07:55 PM
17 yrs 1 day.... Long time ago. Late Happy Cease Fire Day.

ojibway
02-29-08, 11:06 PM
Although 17 years ago, this year was a challenge. We lost a brother from weapons . I also think of the utter chaos duirng those 3 days of combat. I remember being drenched in sweat and many other things. What a powerful drug that adrenalin can be. Semper Fi to all the hounds from hell. Tip of the spear.:evilgrin:

EO-3 George Ker
03-05-08, 06:04 PM
Hay Marines.
This Seabee needs assistance. Searching for the Marines of the 8th Engineers who were near Kibrit the night of Dec. 26, 1990, and can remember a military supply convoy that was hit by small arms fire between 02:00-04:00 am, on that date.
If you can recall anything that would help verify these events or this incident, please contact me ASAP. Visit my webpage (for overall details of the incident of how I was injured) at: www.desertveteransearch.com (http://www.desertveteransearch.com) .
Thank you.

Semper Fi

NMCB-24 A-co. 3rd. NCR
20 ton military convoy driver
gekernaghan@yahoo.com
Seabee

SgtHopperUSMC
03-22-08, 04:30 PM
Ok, something new to keep this going. What did you live in during the war?

My unit lived in GP tents "dug in". The dozer could only go down about 8 feet then a berm was placed around it. We made floors for the tents and had cots. I know a lot of you had it much worse. The best "house" was an old cunstruction shop we came back to after the ground war was over. I even had my own room.:cool:

EO-3 George Ker
03-22-08, 08:52 PM
Sgt Hopper USMC
Remember any of the Seabee's that put up all those GP Medium Tents? Or maybe the bee's (HT-1 Roy "Pappy" Holt from NMCB-24) at the Construction Shop? What about the Convoy Drivers who delivered all your supplies, ammo, food...OK,OK They were MRE's!!! At any rate we did a lot for all of the Marines and I was glad to be with you. Do you remember a convoy being fired on the early morning (02:00-04:00hrs.) of Dec. 26, 1990 along the MSR near Kibrit? If you do, please send me an e-mail at: gekernaghan@yahoo.com ASAP. I need your help with a letter of support. You can also call me collect at 816-358-7765 at my home any evening. Semper Fi http://www.desertveteransearch.com
EO-3 George Kernaghan, NMCB-24

juang
03-22-08, 09:51 PM
I was a combat eng with mwss 174 at the stadium. we built the wooden skeletong for the gp tents, put down the matting for the flightline, built all the bunkers there too. it was some long days and nights alot of hard work, made some really good friends there. :beer: :flag:

SgtHopperUSMC
03-24-08, 11:28 AM
Sgt Hopper USMC
Remember any of the Seabee's that put up all those GP Medium Tents? Or maybe the bee's (HT-1 Roy "Pappy" Holt from NMCB-24) at the Construction Shop? What about the Convoy Drivers who delivered all your supplies, ammo, food...OK,OK They were MRE's!!! At any rate we did a lot for all of the Marines and I was glad to be with you. Do you remember a convoy being fired on the early morning (02:00-04:00hrs.) of Dec. 26, 1990 along the MSR near Kibrit? If you do, please send me an e-mail at: gekernaghan@yahoo.com ASAP. I need your help with a letter of support. You can also call me collect at 816-358-7765 at my home any evening. Semper Fi http://www.desertveteransearch.com
EO-3 George Kernaghan, NMCB-24Maybe I should have stated better. My unit pretty much had to be self sustaining. I can't say much about the supplies but we did our own roads, tents, and buildings when we could find wood. Lots of sandbags. At one point we were the furthest U.S. unit north in Saudi. We started work on the ammo supply points. C Co. 8th ESB was the first company on scene. B Co. was attached to a seperate unit for awhile. At one time they wanted C co. to go out and make some faints to get the Iraqi tanks to pop their heads out. Good thing they decided against that.

sgtwagner
03-25-08, 10:23 AM
India Co 3/3. We got off of the MPS ships and baked in the warehouses and provided port security until we were moved north to the desert. we dug in and when I say dug in, i mean dug to china. The hole were huge, the sand was fighting us the whole time. The hole was bigger around than it was deep.We then moved to a quarry, dont know where it was just know that it was near the main north/south road. While there we lived in the GP tents but on the dirt, no creature features.Then we move up near Kafji. There we were in GP and damn if it wasnt fun to be rocketed!! Not!All in All, spent about 8 months in the desert. 3 days R&R in the rear in GP tents with a PX, that got cut short to have some live firex, was fun to compete against other platoons. 3rd herd rulez!

Tracylaud83
04-19-08, 06:22 PM
Back then, it was LCPL Laudenslager, Food Service, Baker, Al-Jabal Airfield
MWHS-3.
Then it was M-16/203 LCPL when the ground war started.
Ah, the good-ol-days, there I knew who was shooting at me.

rmaschino
05-06-08, 11:15 PM
I remember one tank unit getting their tanks nice and clean...Could'nt even have so much as a grain of sand on it. Well funny thing is they parked the just washed tanks on a sand parking lot at the port.... Yep they came back to the wash point.:p
Hmm wonder if you are speaking of our tanks. I was with the 2nd TK BN over there. Man that seems like so long ago. :marine:

SgtHopperUSMC
05-07-08, 04:53 PM
Hmm wonder if you are speaking of our tanks. I was with the 2nd TK BN over there. Man that seems like so long ago. :marine:Did your unit bring back any captured Iraqi APC's? There was a couple of those and maybe an Iraqi tank.

RocketHound
05-07-08, 04:59 PM
3rd tanks did that too. A TOW missile crewman (actually hummer mech from Sachse, Tx) was tasked with "acquiring" one to give to Lt Col. Alfanzo "Buster" Diggs our CO. It was a big deal to get it from North to south. They had rotate the turretts north and drive south with a Hummer escort driving with their lights on. I think they may have snagged more than one.

rmaschino
05-07-08, 05:32 PM
Did your unit bring back any captured Iraqi APC's? There was a couple of those and maybe an Iraqi tank.
Yes we brought back 2 of them

SgtHopperUSMC
05-08-08, 02:55 AM
I am sure you used our wash points. We were some of the last units out.

HAMMBONE
05-12-08, 01:08 PM
I was a Radio operator whith 10TH MAR REGT HQ BTRY COMM / FSCC attached to 2ND MAR DIV/HQ forward , had a friend in 7TH MAR he was on west pac when Kuwait was invaded and they went to Saudi instead of Australia . I had to was my own HMMWV

SgtHopperUSMC
05-22-08, 05:46 AM
Anyone "live" in the minefields for 30 or more days? Any stories about going through them?

SgtHopperUSMC
06-01-08, 02:45 AM
ahhh the sound of crickets......

brown598
06-02-08, 08:51 PM
Hey Hammbone- I was working with you, I was working in the same tent calling in the Air strikes, I was also working in the FDC. Hey I live in New York, drop me a call (914)525-7213. Do you Remember Air control officers, We watched the Giants beat the Bills. I was advance party/forward element for 2nd Marine Div. I don't know if you remember, rememeber The large 201 amd 93 vans. Do recall when the Iraqis invaded Khafiji, Cpl Craft and myself was going to be dropped in to call air strikes and Artillery in. But they cancelled. Well drop me a call.

Semper Fi:evilgrin:

I was a Radio operator whith 10TH MAR REGT HQ BTRY COMM / FSCC attached to 2ND MAR DIV/HQ forward , had a friend in 7TH MAR he was on west pac when Kuwait was invaded and they went to Saudi instead of Australia . I had to was my own HMMWV

DocSeemann
11-27-08, 10:38 AM
I'm a Navy Corpsman and was with 3rd LAAM BN B Batty. Started off on a LST (LST 1192) before being dropped off in country at the Scud Bowl. We moved north to two differant locations. Don't remember exactly what we were near when, but I do remember being near the boarder and providing air defense to the division marines in the area.

SgtHopperUSMC
11-27-08, 06:27 PM
I'm a Navy Corpsman and was with 3rd LAAM BN B Batty. Started off on a LST (LST 1192) before being dropped off in country at the Scud Bowl. We moved north to two differant locations. Don't remember exactly what we were near when, but I do remember being near the boarder and providing air defense to the division marines in the area.Do you remember a large burm surrounding those areas? If so it was the ammo supply points.

kaboom1371
12-09-08, 05:21 AM
we bounced around them for a long time. had a infiltrating mission that got axed since they were bombing right where we were late to be breaching. being late isn't always bad...lol spent some time with SYOPS up there. that was fun. drive around get people to shoot at you and call in air strikes.. good times..Then we got our asses shot up by task force ripper. More fun fun fun. lost alot of gear but no bodies thank goodness.

oops thats for sgt hopper's question up there somewhere..lol

SgtHopperUSMC
12-11-08, 04:23 PM
we bounced around them for a long time. had a infiltrating mission that got axed since they were bombing right where we were late to be breaching. being late isn't always bad...lol spent some time with SYOPS up there. that was fun. drive around get people to shoot at you and call in air strikes.. good times..Then we got our asses shot up by task force ripper. More fun fun fun. lost alot of gear but no bodies thank goodness.

oops thats for sgt hopper's question up there somewhere..lolI remember hearing about that shooting. Good that they missed the important stuff.

EO-3 George Ker
12-18-08, 10:09 PM
Hello DS/DS MARINES, Seabee here...I just added two letters to my webpage at: www.desertveteransearch.com (http://www.desertveteransearch.com) . The first letter is from Col. Charles O. Skipper, USMC 8th Marine Engineers, and the second from Col. Jon P. Hull, USMC 8th Marine Engineers. Now I am asking again that if anyone remembers a convoy being fired on near Kibrit, on/about Dec. 26, 1990 between 0200-0400 am, then please contact me ASAP. I am seeking those Marines who saw what happened that night, and saved my Ass ! If you can help this Seabee with a similar letter, I would appreciate it very much. My e-mail and contact information are on the webpage. Semper Fi

EO-3 George Ker
12-18-08, 10:23 PM
Hello again DS/DS Marines,

Seabee here...
I am also seeking to find the Navy corpsman who treated me in the field when I was shot. The timeline was Dec. 26, 1990 between 0200-0400am local Saudi time. All my contact information can be found on: www.desertveteransearch.com (http://www.desertveteransearch.com) . Thank you

Semper Fi

EO-3 George Ker
12-26-08, 11:00 PM
Seabee Here! Well, my friends...it is Dec. 26, 2008. I can not sleep and I know the reason. I'm still living in the moment on the anniversary of my being shot. I still see the road, the gray coral talcome powder road dust, driving down into the wadi and comming up out of it only to find the road ahead of me blocked with no way around without getting stuck. Nothing to do but STOP.
I hear the sound of small arms fire and the distinct sound of an AK going off and I knew that was NOT good! The AK is very close and I'm not sure where he is, or what direction he is firing. Then someone runs past my truck and says.."Get out...take cover, we're taking fire from the left!"
I tried to untie my wepon from behind my drivers seat when the first round hit my truck. It recochayed off the kick-plate into the empty fuel tank. I saw the sparks and thought I'd seen Jesus. I turned to get out over the gear shifts and the next round came through the drivers door hitting me in the lower part of my flack jacket, and drove me out the passengers door onto the desert floor. GOD that hurt!
I landed on my head and my kevlar helmet dislocated my right shoulder. ****!...Oh ****! Now I can't move and they are still firing in my direction. Then someone jumped on top of me and told me to shut up and quit screamming. He grabbed the coller on the flack jacket and drug me away from the truck down into the wadi. This straightened out my leggs and torso. He checked to see if I was bleeding and then said... "lay here and stay quiet, I'll be back for you!" And he took off.
A few seconds, or minutes, later the gunfire stopped and everything was quiet. I could hear movements in the sands around the wadi and looked to see the shapes of those dambed Camel Spiders close by near the top of the dunes. I remember yelling for someone to get my out of here! After a short time a corpsman came back to my position and treated my injuries.
This corpsman gave me a sedative before he put my shoulder back into the socket. He put his boot in my armpit, straightening out my arm and pulling hard. Something went crackle, crackle, crack...and I passed out. When I woke up I was strapped on a backboard stretcher with my arm taped to my chest. There were several other people around me by that time.
It must have been foolish to ask for but, I remember asking for the gun that shot me. The men around me said "NO!" So, I asked what happened to the guy that shot me. I was told he wouldn't be shooting anyone else anymore and he went to see Allah. Before they put me into the ambulance I was given a semitar sword, a pair of Iraqi shoulderboards and the AK clip with three live rounds left in it. I was given another seditive just before they closed the door on the ambulance. Everything after that went fuzzy and I just didn't seem to care anymore.
Bits and pieces of memories still haunt me from time to time, but the one thing I will NOT forget are the men who saved my ass the night of December 26, 1990 near Kibrit in the saudi Arabian desert. THANK YOU, MARINES and CORPSMAN!!!!!!!!

As ever I'll remain,

Semper Fidelis.

Alfa Co.
EO-3 Kernaghan, NMCB-24
Seabee 90-91 DS/DS

Hawkaida
12-28-08, 03:04 AM
I was with Kilo 3/6 during DS/DS. The movie Jarhead, whether you like it or not, was about how my platoon was. We didn't do all the stuff that STA plt. does, but we did do a lot of it, like play tackle football in MOP gear. Before we went out to the desert, we heard a rumor about that video in the movie Jarhead. To me it was just a rumor then, but apparently it really did happen. Some really nasty stuff I tell ya. I remember vividly burning a tire in a junkyard outside of Kuwait city to stay warm. Normally no one in their right mind would burn a tire, because of all the pollution it causes, but with all the oil wells burning, it made absolutely no difference in the air quality around us. The days being dark as night, is the thing I will remember the most.

Also, one of my good buddies, LCPL John Ross, was playing around with a Russian grenade, and he pulled out the blasting cap from it. Ended up going off and blinding another Marine. Can't remember his name though. Ross was a damn good Marine. Big tough SOB like me, from Ohio. He was a meritorious mass winner several times before that, but ended up getting a court martial for that incident. Busted him to PVT. and basically ruined his USMC career. Sad, because if not for that incident, I believe he would've been one hell of a Marine.

4653bubba
02-27-09, 09:51 PM

Just found this website...
I was in 164 when the mishap happened. I was a 46 crewchief/mechanic. Some birds were doing nvg training. At the same time the controllers lost them on radar, some guys on the flight deck saw a bright flash in the distance. Several of us flew for hours the next day and only found aircraft wreckage floating in the water. Eventually, against all of our wants, the search was called off and we resumed our tasking. Hope this helps.

EO-3 George Ker
03-02-09, 09:01 PM
Seabee here! I just wanted to let you all know that I've had some changes made to my Desert Veteran Search webpage (www.desertveteransearch.com (http://www.desertveteransearch.com)). I have added two letters, from two retired Colonels, from the 8th Marine Engineers. The XO, Col. C.O. Skipper and Capt. J.P. Hull were ordered to the Kibrit AO by Brig. Gen. Krulack on Dec. 27, 1990 and given direct orders:"DO NOT to travel to Kibrit at night because the Arab Forces in the area would shoot at you." I believe that Brig. Gen Krulack was awaire of the military convoy (the night of Dec. 26, 1990) being fired on, was the reason for Brig. Gen. Krulack to give this order NOT to travel to Kibrit at night. For anyone who may be interested...you can go to the www.desertveteransearch.com (http://www.desertveteransearch.com) webpage and scrole down to the letters of support by Col. Skipper and Col. Hull. You can click on each page to print them out for easier reading. Should anyone else be willing to write out a brief statement of support, I would appreciate it, and I can be contacted through the information provided on the Desert Veteran Search website. Thank You. Semper Fi

EO-3 George Ker
03-02-09, 09:16 PM
:usmc:
Seabee here! I just wanted to let you all know that I've had some changes made to my Desert Veteran Search webpage (www.desertveteransearch.com (http://www.desertveteransearch.com)). I have added two letters, from two retired Colonels, from the 8th Marine Engineers. The XO, Col. C.O. Skipper and Capt. J.P. Hull were ordered to the Kibrit AO by Brig. Gen. Krulack on Dec. 27, 1990 and given direct orders:"DO NOT to travel to Kibrit at night because the Arab Forces in the area would shoot at you." I believe that Brig. Gen Krulack was awaire of the military convoy (the night of Dec. 26, 1990) being fired on, was the reason for Brig. Gen. Krulack to give this order NOT to travel to Kibrit at night. For anyone who may be interested...you can go to the www.desertveteransearch.com (http://www.desertveteransearch.com) webpage and scrole down to the letters of support by Col. Skipper and Col. Hull. You can click on each page to print them out for easier reading. Should anyone else be willing to write out a brief statement of support, I would appreciate it, and I can be contacted through the information provided on the Desert Veteran Search website. Thank You. Semper Fi:flag:

acernie
03-23-09, 01:48 AM
Here's one more Desert Storm Vet. I served with 2/7 E Co. 1st Platoon and then with weapons Platoon (0351). We were with task force Papa Bear. Any more Devil Dogs from 2/7 out there? Semper Fi

acernie
03-23-09, 01:50 AM
Anyone "live" in the minefields for 30 or more days? Any stories about going through them?

Yeap, we saw them as we were humping through them.

MT3533
03-23-09, 06:55 AM
Not a Desert Storm/Desert Shield vet but my NCO's and SNCO's were all vets, many of them I still remember the lessons they taught me
Semper Fidelis Brothers and thank you

metalmsgt
03-23-09, 11:19 AM
What a blast it was.

Jul 29 90 I landed on Oki as a brand new PFC 2145 joining GSM Co 3rd Mnt Bn.
Aug 2 90 invasion of Kuwait
Sept 12 Company Guns calls me and 7 other Tank Mechs to Co Office
Sept 13 CO and 1st Sgt pin LCpl on me in CO's Office. Got on the truck to Kadena and later landed in Saudi to augment CSSD 31 (The heat! Stepped off that plane and it felt like a blast furnace)
Stayed Port of Jubal overhauling Tank engines and doing NBC training until mid December.
Attached to CSSD-10 in December and followed Task Force Ripper all the way to Kuwait Int Airport.
March 91 Headed south to Mani fa Bay and then Camp 3 to rejoin CSSD 31 and head back to Oki in April

Between these key time hacks
Fixed Tanks
Played Spades
Fixed Tanks
Played Spades
Fixed Tanks
Played Spades
Eat sand augmented with MRE's
Showered little.
Sweat constantly.
Almost freeze to death in Jan and Feb.
Stood watch
Burned barrels of crap, aka Sh***er Detail
Stood watch
Burned crap
Fixed Tanks
Stood watch
Burned crap
Stood watch
Burned crap

Other events in between the Watch, The SH***er details, the Tank repairs, Well those are the stories LCpl's love to tell sea stories about. I've got a few of those tales I may impart at another time.

And at the end of it all
Being a Mech, I hardly put up with the misery the gunslingers endured but I gave my part, and suffered through the environment as all of us had.

And I was furious that we all had endured 9 mos of crap and lost Brothers in Arms while the tyrannical idiot responsible was still sitting in Baghdad thumbing his nose at the free world.

S'alright. :devious:
Went back with 1st LAR in 03 and helped put the final smack-down on Hussein and his cronies.

By the way Lt Whiteman, Sir, If you are out there, I beat your "no shower" record of 34 days while riding a Hummer to Baghdad and Tikrit, pretty sure I hit 40 plus. :D

acernie
03-23-09, 06:15 PM
It sure was hot when we firt got there, we were station in 29 Palms that's why they sent us there first. Sure (right) we were climatized. Dude, I think we went longer than 40 days without showers, we lost count. Being out in the field for so long just humping here and there, the only thing we were attracted to was flies.

metalmsgt
03-23-09, 10:00 PM
You mean those flying hordes sent to carry away the crap barrels and rub there butts on your MRE?
I once heard through the grapevine that a guy got carried off in his mosquito net and was considered a POW to enviromental circumatances. :scared:
They say they found him winning a bull in the ring match with a riotus group of camel spiders and scorpions. :marine:

ENGR1371
03-27-09, 09:54 PM
2ND SRIG here! Been a long time!
Kuwait, Kafji..........., we are still there..! Some of us choose the same Sand to fight on....!
Semper Fi!

acernie
03-31-09, 06:11 PM
Camels walked by, hordes carried away our MRE's, no showers for weeks, dirty cammies, just you and your weapon, burnning hot in the summer, freezing cold in the winter, what else can you ask for. Will do it again. Semper Fi

acernie
03-31-09, 06:12 PM
Still, no one from 2/7 yet?

LBC MAGTF
04-02-09, 01:36 PM

I served with Tim onboard the USS Okinawa and took place in the search mission for the two downed hueys. We found much debris and some of the personal items of some of the 8 Marines lost in the crash. The two aircraft collided in an early morning NVG training mission. I ate midrats with Tim on the Okinawa messdecks a few nights before he went down. He was a good Marine. I think of him every October...

Jewell Frank
04-06-09, 09:14 PM
I was on USS Lamoure county doing gator squares 3rd Battalion 2nd Marines

MLMORENO
04-14-09, 08:55 PM

Hey there Devil Dog! Just thought I'd drop you a line to let you know that you're not alone! I served with 8th Engineers 4th Marine Div. FSSG. I was a Bulk Fueler! Without fuel the pride don't ride!! We set up a tank farm that dispensed over 10 million gallons of fuel during the campaign. Semper Fi !!

SWOOP KING
04-30-09, 09:52 PM
Iserved with CSSD-26 ,AL MASHIB WHEN THE FROG MISSLES HIT AND OUR SECURITY TEAM THE SAUDIS LEFT US HANGING

SWOOP KING
05-01-09, 08:30 AM
Any 2nd LSB , 2nd FSSG out there ? BORLAND , SOPKO ,EVENS .HOENS , BEANDOG

Jewell Frank
05-01-09, 05:13 PM
Feels Like We Went To The Game And Sat On Bench

acernie
05-05-09, 01:19 AM
I was with 2/7 too during Desert Storm/ Desert Shield

acernie
05-05-09, 01:21 AM
Here's one more Desert Storm Devil Dog, still have sand in my boots and a scorpion

SWOOP KING
05-05-09, 07:46 AM
SEMPER FI , hard to believe 18 years have past

SWOOP KING
05-05-09, 07:51 AM
Still looking for any RED PATCHERS . Any platoon 3026 I co. 1987 bootcamp P.I. out there, sound off

acernie
05-05-09, 08:11 PM
It was camp 5 that had the pool, volley ball courts, phones and some grub too

SWOOP KING
05-06-09, 06:37 PM
I was a mobile det. We bounced all over . Al Mashib, Kafji , Al jabal. We took frog misseles at Mashib ,Kafji we rocked and at one pause we rescued a family of 12 and captured 4 Iraqi soldiers

acernie
05-07-09, 01:36 AM
Cool Swoop King. We humped all over the place too, the water in our canteens were hotter than coffee. Close to the end of the 100 war we ended up taking enemy fire from the front, friendly fire from our right flank and friendly arty from our rear. And to top it of we almost got bombed by air support. We did take a couple of W. P. rounds from the arty.
After all that fun the enemy surrendered and we took 100 epw's, oh, and one donkey. That was fun with no where to run when we were taking fire from everywhere.

SWOOP KING
05-07-09, 07:46 PM
Not so bad DEVIL DOG, we didnt get any donkeys but, my LT was an ass. Ive got a 2 daughters in the ARMY " Aint Ready to be a MARINE Yet " 1 is @ Camp Bucca in Iraq and my other is on standby for Afghan

acernie
05-08-09, 01:58 AM
Not so bad DEVIL DOG, we didnt get any donkeys but, my LT was an ass. Ive got a 2 daughters in the ARMY " Aint Ready to be a MARINE Yet " 1 is @ Camp Bucca in Iraq and my other is on standby for Afghan

Cool, my son wants to be a pilot. He might be going to a military school in Pensacola, Fl.I hope that your daughter is doing well out there.

EO-3 George Ker
05-14-09, 02:24 PM
Hay Marines...

I've added some new pictures to my Desert Veteran Search webpage. If anyone remembers seeing the NMCB-24 Seabee trucks, or the sign pointing the way to the Khanjar Express... Send me an e-mail at: gekernaghan@yahoo.com , and we will talk more about it:!: PS: Anyone remember an up-side-down M-1 tank in the wadi on the MSR road????

Semper Fi

EO-3 Kernaghan
Seabee

:usmc::flag:

MandoV
06-01-09, 03:53 PM
Served my time at the bowl..7 months of fighting flys, smoking beedies, eatin camel stew and sweatin like slave...remember suds and scuds...they I get it backwards...I'm here in Cali where I am from.:nerd:

tatrott
06-25-09, 11:38 AM
Hey Devil Dogs, I was a Lance Corporal when deployed to Desert Shield and Storm. My Unit 1st BN 8th Marines 2nd MARDIV. I remember Camp 15 very well. Its nice to
hear from some Desert Storm Marines. OORAH!
From tatrott

EO-3 George Ker
06-25-09, 06:40 PM
If you remember camp 15...What about camp 53????? (Better known as Camp Lonesome Dove and Camp Smith for the Seabee's) Does anyone else remember camp #53 ?! Send me an e-mail at: gekernaghan@yahoo.com .
Semper Fi

Seabee

sparkiee
06-25-09, 07:06 PM
Was with 10th MARINES ARTILLERY BATTERY over in the GULF

jarheadjj
07-07-09, 08:13 PM
Another desert storm vet checking in I was with VMAQ-2 at Sheik Isa Bin I spent 3 months on guard duty augmenting the MP's guarding the ammo pit and the base.

MandoV
07-12-09, 12:28 AM
Kicked it at the "stadium" 6months and 30 days at Rhaz Ah Ghar with the MPs..

Lcpl Armando "V" Vilchis
:iwo:

Trucrimsongold
07-15-09, 04:26 PM
Got to saudi in August 1990. The 82 airborn failed to show up with their ammo so we had to give half of all our ammo to them. Then after we were down to maybe five hundred rounds of 50cal and M60 rounds we got to post up on the saudi border incase the republican guard decided to roll in from Kuwait. There were not many of us there at that time. Getting off that plane then going to that port of jubal near the ocean was as hot as it gets. Then eight months of it. I was in Task Force Ripper. I think If they hadn't of broke up my platoon because the line companies needed machinegunners I might have re-enlisted, but the whole thing left a bad taste in my mouth and after I got back to Cali I just got out. Proud to have served though. I met a great deal of guys I'm proud to think of as brothers and a small few that I could not stand to include our LT. He was a moron. And whenever he would give a field class I'd be one of the first ones to volunteer to burn poop. It was better to burn it then to listen to it. I was in 1/7 Heavy Guns then we got broken up and I was in 1/7 Aco weapons platoon

6yrforMar
07-22-09, 12:04 AM
I was in Desert Sheild -Storm,not in the Corps.Out in the Saudi desert,The Air Guard unit I was in supported the Marines with A-10's.Later on we were at Al-Jabar & Ali Al Saliem Kuwait,I knew the USMC was there,they left A/C units with "USMC was here" stenciled on them,at Al Jaber.

EO-3 George Ker
10-17-09, 01:52 PM
:evilgrin: I have added a new 'photo gallery' to the Desert Veteran Search (www.desertveteransearch.com (http://www.desertveteransearch.com)) website with over 100 pictures taken during DS/DS 90-91. They include Camp#53 Lonesome Dove, Kibrit, Wally-World and Al Jubail.
Go to: www.desertveteransearch.com (http://www.desertveteransearch.com)
Scroll down to: the pictures in the middle of the page
Click-on: the 'link' under the photographs to enter the Photo Gallery.
All pictures can be enlarged and down-loaded by clicking on each one individualy.
If anyone recognizes anything familiar in the gallery...send me an e-mail. Happy Hunting :usmc: Semper Fi

EO-3 Kernaghan
Seabee

EO-3 George Ker
10-17-09, 02:01 PM
Got to saudi in August 1990. The 82 airborn failed to show up with their ammo so we had to give half of all our ammo to them. Then after we were down to maybe five hundred rounds of 50cal and M60 rounds we got to post up on the saudi border incase the republican guard decided to roll in from Kuwait. There were not many of us there at that time. Getting off that plane then going to that port of jubal near the ocean was as hot as it gets. Then eight months of it. I was in Task Force Ripper. I think If they hadn't of broke up my platoon because the line companies needed machinegunners I might have re-enlisted, but the whole thing left a bad taste in my mouth and after I got back to Cali I just got out. Proud to have served though. I met a great deal of guys I'm proud to think of as brothers and a small few that I could not stand to include our LT. He was a moron. And whenever he would give a field class I'd be one of the first ones to volunteer to burn poop. It was better to burn it then to listen to it. I was in 1/7 Heavy Guns then we got broken up and I was in 1/7 Aco weapons platoon
Trucrimsongold...
Hay Marine! When you get a few minutes I'd like you to give me a phone call. I'd like to ask you about being posted on the Saudi border with Kuwait (Camp#53 Lonesome Dove/Camp Smith on the Seabee side). Give me a shout out at: 816-358-7765 home evenings; after 1800 hrs.
Semper Fi

EO-3 Kernaghan
Seabee

gelliott
11-05-09, 02:45 PM
Just found this site hopefully someone can help me out. <br />
My husband Richard &quot;Gene&quot; Elliott was in the 3rd Tank Bat. 7th Reg. from 29 Palms. <br />
Deployed Aug 16, 1990, from what I understand the 7th...

EO-3 George Ker
11-05-09, 04:09 PM
Hello GELLIOTT, <br />
<br />
Seabee here...Please contact me with regards to DS/DS. I would like to speak with you and your husband by phone. Call me 'collect' at: 816-358-7765 central time, any evening after...

gelliott
11-05-09, 04:24 PM
Thanks for your reply I will give you a call as soon as I can the following is the report.. Sorry the link would not work. <br />
<br />
<br />
<br />
House Committee on Veterans’ Affairs&lt;/center&gt; <br />
<br />

doc h fmf
11-10-09, 04:09 PM
Thankyou Gene Appreciate The Information.

Stephen Hansen Fellow Desert Storm Vet

curt1015
12-05-09, 10:52 PM
:flag:camel spiders i hated! But it was the little black scorpions that made me all the money. LOL

curt1015
12-05-09, 11:20 PM
I was also at Jaibal and Lonesome Dove. I was with the tail hookers MWSS 273, expeditionary airfields. Good to here some stories from the war and places I was at.

curt1015
12-05-09, 11:29 PM
I was with 273 also and hell ya I remember all the frog missels and chemical alarms every night for about two weeks. Thanks to the first combat use of the Predetor drone we were able to locate where the sneaky bastards were hideing there launchers and finally blew them outta there.

curt1015
12-05-09, 11:54 PM
I was a combat eng with mwss 174 at the stadium. we built the wooden skeletong for the gp tents, put down the matting for the flightline, built all the bunkers there too. it was some long days and nights alot of hard work, made some really good friends there. :beer: :flag:Matting, thats a word i havnt heard in many years. Hey fellow tail hooker good to hear from ya!:thumbup:

SgtHopperUSMC
12-11-09, 11:35 PM
Matting, thats a word i havnt heard in many years. Hey fellow tail hooker good to hear from ya!:thumbup:z

Mildam
12-21-09, 01:40 PM
I was with ATT Alascom that operated the call home satellite units in the field.The last one was 15 miles south of Kafgi.My security unit was a TOW outfit from Hawaii.

micarr57
01-01-10, 08:37 PM
any you guys know david shaw was sgt at the time heard he was killed didnt ever hear how any help would be great he was a tracrat 1833 thanks

sporty9494
01-02-10, 10:20 AM

Sgt Lester task Force Ripper 3rd Tank bn Comm Plt

wdh1371
01-03-10, 07:27 AM
Hey devil dogs I was with mwss-273 as well at Jabail lonesome dove and a airfield just south of Kuwait. <br />
I was a combat engineer and did my share of matting along side some see bee's. <br />
Its nice to...

gelliott
01-03-10, 02:34 PM
Below is from the Gulf War Illness and Health of Gulf War Veterans published Nov 2008
http://www1.va.gov/rac-gwvi/docs/GWIandHealthofGWVeterans_RAC-GWVIReport_2008.pdf
It is a 465 page report

Page 24 (also see page 40,274,284,307)

Additional research and clinical findings in Gulf War veterans. Additional information
pertaining to biological and clinical characteristics of symptomatic Gulf War veterans is available from a
variety of clinical reports and studies. Individual clinical studies have provided several findings of
interest, such as increased sensitivity to pain and elevated rates of fibromyalgia in veterans with
musculoskeletal symptoms, dyspepsia and persistent diarrhea similar to irritable bowel syndrome in
veterans with gastrointestinal symptoms, abnormal pulmonary function in a subset of veterans with
respiratory symptoms, and verification of rashes and other skin anomalies in veterans with dermatological
symptoms. But overall, objective indicators of disease are often not identified in symptomatic Gulf War
veterans who are referred for specialty evaluations. Clinical reports have also not provided explanations
for identified problems, such as the causes of veterans’ persistent diarrhea or rashes. One study evaluated
Gulf War veteran males and their sexual partners who experienced a painful burning reaction to the
veterans’ seminal fluid, a problem reported by about seven percent of Gulf War veterans. Evaluations
indicated that about 40 percent of the women had a hypersensitivity reaction to the veterans’ seminal
fluid, but provided no explanation for the phenomenon, overall. In general, very limited information is
available on health problems specific to women veterans. Single studies have reported that Gulf War
veteran women report elevated rates of yeast and bladder infections and breast lumps or cysts, but no
results are available from medical evaluations.

Hope this helps.

gunnym7999
01-05-10, 04:05 PM
I was at Al Jubal in Desert Storm. I was in EAF and lived near the flight line. MWSS 371 NCOIC.

cplmike
01-08-10, 07:27 PM
Whats up brothers?? I was Golf CO. 2/7 second platoon, its good to hear from you guys, I sure as hell dont remember any big party after the war, I just remember being at the DSA for along darn time..........that movie "Jar Head".........all Hollywood, but quite entertaining.

cplmike
01-08-10, 07:48 PM
I was with Golf 2/7, task force grizzly SEMPER FI !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

EO-3 George Ker
01-10-10, 12:08 PM
Hello wdh1371,

You said you were at Jubail, Lonesome Dove and the airfield south of Kuwait ...AND, that you remember the Seabee's laying down matting. Well if you go to my webpage you'll find some of the pics in the Photo Gallery are of those places and events. Go to: www.desertveteransearch.com (http://www.desertveteransearch.com) . Send me an e-mail if anything looks familiar. My e-address and contact information are on the webpage. Hope to hear back from you soon.
Semper Fi

Seabee

MAZZ
01-10-10, 12:28 PM
Semper Fi brothers in arms. I was with Task Force Papa Bear L Co 3/9. If I remember right Hall 15 was where we stayed for 2 days a month after being out in the desert for a month. We'd shower and slept in bunk beds vs those uncomfortable cots. I don't remember any party until we landed at JFK on March 17, 1991 and returned home to Camp Pendleton. Looking for any fellow brothers who served with me. As for the movie " Jarhead", Hollywood did get one thing right, Swofford was a cry baby! The only thing realistic about that movie was the homemade hooch, fighting scorpions, and playing football.

mkbower
01-17-10, 09:58 AM
I was in the same unit as your husband, but different platoon. I do know of one other guy from our same company that was diagnosed with Brain Cancer and had surgury.. his name was David Burnett, he...

mkbower
01-17-10, 09:43 PM
I responded to you by email earlier today but in the meantime I spoke with Mike Bolin who was in same platoon. He told me some stories and we ended up talking for a couple hours. Let me know if you...

Bass Snapper
01-17-10, 11:25 PM
MWSS 273 here in the Storm. Dingman I remember all those places you talked about! I just joined here and am looking for a few good men I served with in MWSS 273.

firemen122
01-24-10, 01:39 PM
Anyone from HMM-264 black knights? I was with MAG-26 and did operation provide comfort in Turkey and northern Iraq.

CPL Godfrey
02-20-10, 12:18 AM
I was with 2/7 during the Gulf War. I was in E Co, 2 Plt. I was the Pointman for Task Force Grizzly going into Kuwait.

doc h fmf
02-22-10, 06:42 PM
1st Motor Transport Bn 1st Mef At Al Jbail

EO-3 George Ker
02-23-10, 10:59 AM
Hello Doc...Seabee here! <br />
<br />
&quot;CORPSMAN !&quot; <br />
I need to ask you a couple of questions about 1st MEF Motor Transport Battalion at Al Jubail in Saudi, and I am asking you to call me. Please, phone...

Rocky C
02-23-10, 11:20 AM
I just Read your Website George. <br />
I hope you can find someone to support your VA Claim. <br />
Looks like your doing Alot of Research and Fact Finding. <br />
<br />
Good Health and Good Luck to you Seabee.

SgtFreddieSchei
03-09-10, 03:58 PM
Very sorry to hear about Gene's illness. Buster was my CO as well, I am sure he sent a powerful response. As to daily life, It was dirty, fly infested beyond comprehension, I still remember with pain the conditions we lived in. We were filthy, water for showers rare. Water for drinking hyper chlrinated. There were multiple exposures from our personal compasses, our armor, and our munitions to radioactivity. Almost every member in 3 tks took a toxic combo of NAP, Anthrax and Botchilism Toxoid and Burning oil fields could have plaid a part in some illnesses as well. We all served with pride. I do beleive that your husbands illness is more likely than not related to his service, which is the standard that should be used to base claims decisions. If he is still available, Thank him for me. God Bless and good luck. P.S. Most of us played Spades(cards) in the months waiting for battle.

Mildam
03-10-10, 02:26 PM
I asked the 2nd Louie in charge of our security detail why we couldn't get drinking water in the plastic bottles.He said the Col in command of our area said it was for emergency only.I took my truck...

SgtFreddieSchei
03-10-10, 02:32 PM
Right I forgot about the Chlorine loaded water, that was something.

grosengr
03-21-10, 07:16 PM
I'm a Navy Corpsman and was with 3rd LAAM BN B Batty. Started off on a LST (LST 1192) before being dropped off in country at the Scud Bowl. We moved north to two differant locations. Don't remember exactly what we were near when, but I do remember being near the boarder and providing air defense to the division marines in the area.

I remember when 3d LAAM arrived at the Scud Bowl. I was a radio technician with 2d LAAM H&S Battery Comm Platoon at the Scud Bowl. I knew Chuck Dudly with 3d LAAM and remember when you guys arrived.

grosengr
03-21-10, 07:29 PM
Served my time at the bowl..7 months of fighting flys, smoking beedies, eatin camel stew and sweatin like slave...remember suds and scuds...they I get it backwards...I'm here in Cali where I am from.:nerd:

I was with 2d LAAM Bn H&S Battery Comm Platoon. We set up and ran "Scuds -N- Suds" as we could. GySgt Mike Bullock did most of the work there and I ran most of the Comm Maintenance side. I pulled out my cruise book and there is a picture of the big plywood sign. Ah memories . . . .

cplmike
03-24-10, 05:24 PM
did you go to golf co and have a roomate molinar.....moe? if its you......its me moe!!

jcb267
10-09-10, 10:45 AM
Tim was my roommate in the 22 area of camp pendleton. He enlisted just before I did, probably early 1987. We were in the same unit and became friends, he was a good man and a real good marine.

Skid Kid
10-10-10, 10:17 AM
Goodmorning Devil Dogs, I was with HMLA 367 Scarface. We stationed at Prince Fahd's Airport and then moved up to Jubail. I agree with alot of the opinions about them not letting us finish. I swear I said we would be back within 15 yrs and here we have it. If they would've just turned the camera's off and let us do what we do best, Kick Ass, alot of our brothers and sisters would not of lost theirs lives. Even though we were AirWing, and yes, we know what ya'll think about us, we still had some crappy conditions as well. My breathing is Frakked up and am told I should've quit smoking long ago. Hell, I have never smoked and don't plan on it! If any other Scarface Marines show up please email me at silverstang91@hotmail.com, until then
Semper Fi!!

DRB
10-26-10, 07:05 PM
Guys I served with the Army and was fortunate enough to be part of a unit that played a major role. I was with the 2nd Armored div(fwd) out of Garlstedt, Germany. I was with 4/3 FA. We fired around 8,000 rounds out there. We got to the front early and we were part of the 1st Infantry div because we were only brigade sized. We were considered their third brigade out there. We helped breach the berm and some amazing tank battles broke out around us. One tank was destroyed just twenty feet from where I was standing. We also took some mortar fire and had some skirmishes with Republican guard infantry as I was on a recon team. Five M1 tanks that were damaged were from our division and we also lost several Bradley fighting vehicles. The Republican guard had some RPG teams that hit some of them in the engine. We started firing rounds 21 days before the major ground assualt. We went six weeks without a bath or shower and had very little food. We were call Task Force Iron. We drove into our target areas and there was nothing but burning armor and corpses. There were some wild dogs feeding on them.

pyquijano7
10-28-10, 12:26 PM
I was the Senior Hospital Corpsman for 3rd Tank T.O.W. I am sorry to hear about your husbands medical situation. If you have anymore specific questions about what we the Medical Personnel incountered and documented please contact me @ 262-455-5930. "A Marine is down, the Corpsman will be up" Semper Fi.

pyquijano7
10-28-10, 12:27 PM
I responded to you by email earlier today but in the meantime I spoke with Mike Bolin who was in same platoon. He told me some stories and we ended up talking for a couple hours. Let me know if you want his phone number or email.
I was the Senior Hospital Corpsman for 3rd Tank T.O.W. I am sorry to hear about your husbands medical situation. If you have anymore specific questions about what we the Medical Personnel incountered and documented please contact me @ 262-455-5930. "A Marine is down, the Corpsman will be up" Semper Fi.

pyquijano7
10-28-10, 12:30 PM
Will do after 1800 hours. With all do respect it will be trick or treat night here in my town so it will be after 2000.

DrZ
10-28-10, 01:02 PM
Marines,
Not my war...but always my Marine Corps. If you will permit me... I would like to welcome you all home and say Job Well Done. Semper Fi from a old Vietnam vet.

pyquijano7
10-28-10, 01:56 PM
Thank you for the welcome. It is and has been a great honor and previlidge to have served with the Marines and especially in combat. Not many people had this oppurtunity and it has and is a great honor. "Semper Fi"

gelliott
10-28-10, 02:00 PM
Thank you to all who replied, sent advice, and helped me. Gene passed away Oct 13, we received his BVA decision Oct 14 he is 100% service connected. We did find two of the Marines he served with on...

gelliott
10-28-10, 02:18 PM
Sorry for spelling errors tried to edit, but will not work for me.

gelliott
10-28-10, 02:20 PM
Thank you to all who replied, sent advice, and helped me. Gene passed away Oct 13, we received his DVA decision Oct 14 he is 100% service connected. We did find two of the Marines he served with on his tank (Richie Doucet and SSgt John Allen) both have been a tremedous help to me. I had hoped this claim would set a precedence for other veterns with brain cancer, but unfortunatly it will not due to the fact it is "One judges opinion". If you know of any GW/DS veteran suffering with or the family of a veteran that has lost the battle to brain cancer PLEASE have them contact me I will share all of the information I have put together in addition to the final letter I received from the DVA. I need to have something good come from this, hopefully it will be helping others with their claims.
Candie

Thank you!!!

gelliott
10-28-10, 07:08 PM
Thank you to all who replied, sent advice, and helped me. Gene passed away Oct 13, we received his BVA decision Oct 14 he is 100% service connected. We did find two of the Marines he served with on his tank (Richie Doucet and SSgt John Allen) both have been a tremedous help to me. I had hoped this claim would set a precedence for other weterns with brain cancer, but unfortunatly it will not due to the fact it is "One judges opinion". If you know of any GW/DS veteran suffering with or the family of a veteran that has lost the battle to brain cancer PLEASE have them contact me I will share all of the information I have put together in addition to the final letter I received from the DVA. I need to have something good come from this, hopefully it will be helping others with their claims.
Candie
Sorry for all the misspellings! Should have been VBA

pyquijano7
10-29-10, 08:15 AM
First of all I am sorry for your lost. I can only imagine what that is like and at the same time trying to find answers to his illness.
Yes, I know that 99% of the food we consumed was MRE's. Sometimes we would get a hot meal, foods from home sent to us through the mail.
Causes of cancer is obviously exposure to radiation and chemicals. Gene was obviously inside the tank full of tank rounds/ammo that contained depleted uranium. We were also exposed to the chemical fires not for 100 hours, but it started as soon as the air war started. So the exposure to the oil fires were from Jan 17, 1991 to at least March 10 1991. March 10, 1991 was when 3rd tank left the theather. I hope this helps. If you have anymore questions or concerns call me. 2624555930 HMC(FMF/SW) Paul Quijano.

cplmike
11-10-10, 09:46 PM
semper fi everybody......i was with golf 2/7 task force grizzly......anybody else out there ?

Trucrimsongold
11-19-10, 08:08 AM
Hey Corporal, Semper Fi to you to brother. I was in task force ripper in 1/7 both Weapons Company and Alpha Company. They needed 0331's for the "storm" part so me and some machine gunners got moved. One of the brilliant moves they made to help me make my mind up to get out. Hope you are good and godspeed to you and yours.

blackmamba1
11-26-10, 03:37 PM
OHHHRAHHH! I like that one! lol

blackmamba1
11-26-10, 04:18 PM
another glorious day in the I.E! Happy thnksgvng 2 u all!

blackmamba1
11-26-10, 04:29 PM
Thanks for keeping those many many divisions busy on the coast. Was it 11 or so? Either way you guys on the boats did a great job. I was clearing the mine fields. They told us in a breifing to expect 50% casualties. We only had 1 in my company and he shot himself.:nerd:
Dayum!!

blackmamba1
11-27-10, 03:14 PM
I was with the 4th MEB, 2ND LAI BN, aboard the USS Gunston Hall LSD-44 during the gulf war, didnt get 2 see much action, but glad that by us creating the distraction/diversion of an amphibious assault landing kept those Iraqi troops distaracted enough for my other fellow devildogs 2 go ahead on and take care of business as usual, kudos 2 Gen. Shwarzkoff!! OUTSTANDING JOB MARINES!! I would do it all over again if asked, Semper Fi!

USMC0341
12-05-10, 08:41 PM

Hey Devil Dog, I rode in D49A from D Co 2nd Tracks through the "breach" with A Co 1/8. LCpl Andreas was the Crew Chief. I remember Camp 15, what a shathole. That movie made me laugh, we had to account for every round after the cease fire.

USMC0341
12-05-10, 08:44 PM
Hey Devil Dogs, I was a Lance Corporal when deployed to Desert Shield and Storm. My Unit 1st BN 8th Marines 2nd MARDIV. I remember Camp 15 very well. Its nice to
hear from some Desert Storm Marines. OORAH!
From tatrott

Hey Devil Dog, I was Wpns Plt A Co 1/8. Who were you with?

Tracylaud83
12-05-10, 09:43 PM
Spent some R&R at camp 15, Wish I could find the tape I made at camp 15 for my wife. Back then we didn't have E-Mail, and what few phones we had were busy (When they were turned on), so Camp 15 was a nice break.

Trucrimsongold
01-18-11, 11:35 PM
This thread is about Hall 15" as we called it? It was an awesome break but rarely occurred. I actually remember the last time our unit A weapons company got to go there to rest up after months on the front lines babysitting the tankers our moronic LT thought it would be an excellent time to conduct a junk on the bunk" set up and inspection. Then he volunteered us for actual perimeter security and front gate security while everyone else got to take hot showers use actual private stalls versus squatting out in the desert on a half opened e"tool and dodging "dung beetles" and call their loved one's on the pay phones, eat hot chow and go to the movie shed and watch video's. Moments like that were just a few "gem" experiences that in the end helped me decide to get out versus reenlistment and I loved the corps. There were so many great leaders it only took one or two moronic LT's to make me realize how you put your life in others hands you roll the dice because of all the great one's you might end up with a moron like I had. No names, just venting because it changed the course of my life. One moron Lt in Heavy Guns split our platoon up to scatter us to unfamiliar line companies despite over a year of cohesion through actual desert training together in the stumps and another one who people laughed at mockingly to his face as he had Marines that had such lack of respect for him that they volunteered to burn feces rather than sit in one of his school circle classes and he rewarded his troops by having "junk on the bunk inspections" at a long awaited hall 15 visit and making them stand post relieving pogues who lived there during the whole conflict. Hall 15, yeah Semper Fi....

Trucrimsongold
01-19-11, 03:57 PM
After a full day at work, I reflected on my previous post and didn't wan't to sound all bitter because I did and do love the Corps. Just like two guys i can't get past forgiving and they were both LT's...Semper Fi to you all and hope life brings you happiness.

tgwkreu7
01-19-11, 08:34 PM
hey how about the people that were with E-2-5 in the Korean war or i am the only one left

CplChristian
02-17-11, 02:04 AM
I was with 7th Eng Support Battalion, Charlie Company.. I was a 1371 Combat Engineer.. We went to Saudi in early Aug. We flew in on a commerical jet with M-16 locked and loaded.. Upon arriving we were move to the dock and lived in the warehouses there.. Our company build inbound camps to recieve the military personnel coming in.. We built more strong backs than I can count.. In one area we accually poured thin concrete foundation and then built the strong backs on top of the slabs.. I believe we poured a couple of hundred slabs in that area.. Don't remember the exact number.. It was a lot.. We bounced from place to place building inbound staging camps.. Once that was completed they had go out in the desert and built camps along the border of Kuwait.. We built about 4 or 5 before the ground war started.. Once we went into Kuwait we cleared paths through the mine fields and put up barbed wire to mark the path.. Once passed the second of mine field we went to the air port.. I was there from Aug 1990 to April 1991.. :marine:

RobinetteJ
04-28-11, 03:22 AM
I was with 2/4 Echo Company Weapons Platoon, detached to 3rd Platoon. We were ship out on December 27th and came back May 15th. We were kinda busy before that at Liberia evacuating, and pulling gaurd duty trying to protect the innocent. I do remember Camp 15, we played alot of hacky sack there before we shipped out with the AAV's to move toward the front lines. We did get into a few firefights tho. Anyways, Semper Fi Desert Storm Vets!

RobinetteJ
04-28-11, 04:14 AM
And are any of you gulf war vets having problems with any health issues? I have myofascial pain syndrome, severe ptsd, short and long term memory loss, and lord knows what else. Just wondering. Its hard for me to walk some days. I'm at 60% VA disability and just got approved from Social Security. I'm glad that fight is over. Now if the VA would jump on board, I think my family and I will be alright.

Quinbo
04-28-11, 04:25 AM
After nearly an hour drive to work I get out of the car and pretty stiff and sore. Get walking and turn on the wheels and move around and it goes away. There is a very good chance that I have fibromyalgia but I prefer to work. I would go freakin nuts if I didn't have a job.

Some of those shots and chit they gave us no telling what the future of health holds. God willing I'm just fine.

RobinetteJ
04-28-11, 04:33 AM
I loved my job. The people I worked with were awesome. But when I got home from work, and try to lay down and sleep, my lower half of my body would just hurt like he!!. I would cry because it hurt so bad. I tried to go back to work but my body wouldn't let me. I miss my job. I understand what you're saying. I used to drive a truck from Charlotte to Greensboro twice a night. And I loved it. Now when I go see my parents in China Grove( from Belmont, NC) its hard to get out of the car because I hurt so bad. I know how you feel on that. Semper Fi!