PDA

View Full Version : Local battalion names Marines of Year

thedrifter
02-16-07, 08:19 AM
Local battalion names Marines of Year
Thursday, February 15, 2007 9:14 AM CST

By JOHN FOOKS
Texarkana Gazette

U.S. Marine Staff Sgt. Felix Barrios, a native of San Fernando, Philippines, was selected as the 6th Motor Transport Battalion, 4th Marine Logistics Group (Active Duty Component) Marine of the Year for 2006.

Barrios competed with Marines from six other units within the battalion, which is headquarted in Red Bank, N.J.

Barrios also was selected as 6th Motor Transport’s Marine of the Quarter for 2nd Quarter 2005 and 3rd Quarter 2006. He currently serves as the unit armorer and embarkation chief on the inspector and instructor staff and has been in Texarkana since November 2004.

Barrios contributes his off-duty time to help the Texarkana Humane Society Animal Shelter and assists with Marine Corps outreach programs with his participation in Marine Corps color guards and funeral details. He is married to Marivic Belasquez, also from San Fernando.

Barrios came to the United States in 1997. He worked two years as warehouse supervisor in San Francisco and then joined the Marine Corps.

“I wanted to be a part of the ‘few,’” he said. He began his military career with boot camp in San Diego and received his military occupational specialty in small arms repair.

“I had signed up for metal work and wanted to be a welder. But I guess ‘arms’ are metal,” Barrios said, laughing. “I’m glad now I’m not a welder.”

Barrios has been on active status ever since and plans on remaining a Marine “as long as they’ll have me.”

He served two tours in Iraq, the first in 2003 and the second in 2004. He has been under fire, but that never deterred him from his mission, he said, “to help the Iraqi people.” Active duty assignments are normally three years and his “rotation” will be coming up later this year.

“I have no idea where I’ll go next,” he said. “Wherever the Corps needs me.”

Cpl.l Matthew Alvis, a native of Tyler, Texas, was selected as the 6th Motor Transport Battalion, 4th Marine Logistics Group (Reserve Duty Component) Marine of the Year for 2006.

Cpl. Alvis has been a Marine since 2003 and currently serves as squad leader on monthly duty in Texarkana. He has been a member of the Bulk Fuel Platoon since December 2003. Alvis’s civilian job is as a tax accountant and he is also full-time student. He is married to the former Natalie Rozell and they live in Tyler.

Ellie