PDA

View Full Version : Running

Boswell
02-15-07, 07:42 PM
Ok im about 6'1 180 pounds i work out everyother day but my running still get's me i can run a mile in like six minutes but after that it seems like im dead. Any advice would be great thanks...Boswell

CJA
02-15-07, 08:01 PM
By no means am I a professional runner, but if you're running a mile in 6 minutes, I'd say slow down. You're wearing yourself out by running the first mile too fast, then you have no gas left for anything else.

That's just a guess though.

killerinstinct
02-16-07, 10:54 AM
i'm sure you are trying to push yourself to do a 18 minute run time, but best is to complete 3 miles and then try to work your time down from there.

Only advice I can give is this, try some breathing techniques. For me i take deep breath thru y nose and then exhale little at a time on each foot thru my mouth.

try to keep a pace you are comfortable with and can maintain. Usually you'll find people halling ass at the start but drop out at the end. Also if you keep a good pace when you see the finish you just push all you have and run to that line so when you cross you feel youll drop dead.

But the best thing to remember is one thing the Marines do is run. You can might not be able to do pushups or barely any crunches but one drop out of a run and you we go to mando.

So try to pace it out is the best and work the run down there.

Boswell
02-16-07, 11:12 AM
Thanks everybody i will keep that in mind next time running. Also i have an i pod would that make a difference like to not think about my breathing or what??? well thaks again. Boswell

bigdog43701
02-16-07, 11:16 AM
by what you stated i agree...you're burning out. slow down your pace to where you can run and still maintain a conversation. another trick is buy a running cadance tape and run to it (you'll be surprised how listening to that will make it easier). after you master running three mailes without stopping then you can begin to consentrate on getting faster. do hill work and sprints on days you don't run three mailes. it will make a differance.

David Jameson
02-16-07, 11:48 AM
A mile in 6 is great .Sow it down and try to think about somthing other then running while you are running.I like to listen to some good rock but don't sweat it.Good time. PUSH .PUSH, PUSH

LDO Capt
02-16-07, 01:44 PM
Dont run for distance, instead set a time goal, run at a constant speed for 30 minutes, as you get better quicken the pace, you will be surprised how much your time will drop in a 3 mile run. In about 2 weeks run 3 miles for time and watch the improvement.

PatriotGirl422
02-16-07, 08:39 PM
I would definitely suggest listening to cadences while running. The truth is that running by yourself can be really boring and un-motivating, and it's easy to want to quit. I always bring my ipod and listen to cadences the whole time, and it's really motivating.

hawks
02-16-07, 09:09 PM
A mile in 6 minutes is great, if the PFT was one mile long. The PFT is 3 miles long. You should concentrate on 3 miles+ in fast time rather then one single mile that fast.

Boswell
02-16-07, 11:35 PM
thanks everybody i downloaded some cadences today on my i pod then went running and it really does help it took my mind of running and motivated me. i also had some friends go with me this time and that does help to. well thanks again everybody. i will keep doing this when ever i run .

Integrity57
02-17-07, 12:45 AM
Can someone tell me where I can find a cadence cd?

devildoghopeful
02-17-07, 04:31 AM
If you PM me your email, I've got USMC Cadence Vol 1 and 2 and I can send the tracks individually to you, or you can buy them at music stores I think.

Boswell
02-17-07, 11:18 AM
I got my cadences off limewire if you know what that is???

Echo_Four_Bravo
02-17-07, 06:22 PM
Running outdoors with an ipod is a really bad idea. Your sense of hearing is very important for you to remain safe. With ear buds you will not hear traffic or other people. Plus, you aren't going to have an ipod when you're in boot camp, so don't become dependent upon it now.

If you can run a mile in six minutes you're on track to do well. Next time you run, drop your pace to an eight minute mile and complete the three mile run in about 24 minutes. Continue to lower your pace until you're pushing yourself at the end of three miles. Then follow the ideas given to you by LDO Capt. You'll see amazing scores quickly.

christine_06
02-17-07, 09:33 PM
Boz what you need to do is listen to your ipod and just run at a pace for like 30 minutes or so and don't worry about the distance just run for a length of time, and slow down cuz when i went to pt with you while i was home on ptad you're burning all your energy in the first mile or so. Eat more veggtables and fruits, it's a trick i learned from my SDI and make sure you hydrate, i'm sure you have one of the water bottles from up at the office drink at least one every hour it'll help. Just remember you can't listen to your ipod at boot camp so you're gonna have to learn to run without music too. You have my number if you need anymore tips. Keep working at it.

YLDNDN6
02-18-07, 09:15 AM
Way back in the day, my recruiter told me a trick to do while running. This was back in the time before i-pods and walkmen. As you run, say the alphabet, but like you hear DI's yell cadence. ABCDEFG, expel breath, inhale through nose, HIJKLMNOP, expel breath, inhale through nose....and so on. This trains you to breath the way you will breathe during PT. While yelling out the words, you are forcing oxygen to stay in your lungs, as you use less air to speak than you do when you simply exhale. This method worked great for me, as I discovered that it is lack of oxygen that causes fatigue when running. Muscles that receive more oxygen during use will go longer before they fail. Just my 2 cents worth...

RuffNight2007
02-22-07, 02:41 PM
Make sure you hydrate.. a lot. Also make sure you drink BEFORE getting thirsty.