PDA

View Full Version : New (old) poolee

firebrick
02-15-07, 02:51 PM
I am not ancient but I am 28. Just DEP'ed in. Going into reserve infantry unit here in town. I am in good shape but things hurt more...longer than they used to when I was 18. Is there anyone in here that joined in their late 20's that can share their experience with being the older guy?

hawks
02-15-07, 03:45 PM
Hey I'm assuming your attaching to the 2/24 out of Des Moines. Thats what I'm attaching to, when do you ship out?
I go to school and live in IC but am originally from Dubuque - are you from Des Moines?

millar123
02-15-07, 03:49 PM
when i went to boot camp there was a Marine there that was 29 and he did great so i am pretty sure if you are motivated you will do just fine.

Jfloirendo
02-15-07, 08:07 PM
i was in Parris Island we had a 31 year old. Old man could PT better than half the people in our platoon. just stay motivated the entire time

Achped
02-15-07, 08:53 PM
I've actually been, on accident, reading up on this alot lately.

Apparently you have alot of things going for you, the fact that you're older means you'll obviously have alot more real world experience, be alot more mature, and be able to handle it better than some "kid."

But aside from that, you have advantages physically as well. Look at those who hold the pullup records at both MCRDs, they're both in their late 20s. You have alot more muscle mass or at least the capability to produce it easier, and once you burn any fat you have covering it you're gonna be lean and mean.

firebrick
02-15-07, 09:15 PM
Hawks, yes I will be with Echo company, 0311 slot, at Ft Des Moines. I have not met with them yet. It should be a great experience. Everyone, including the wife, thinks that I have gone completely crazy. I am not deterred though.

hawks
02-15-07, 09:34 PM
I dont know what company I got in, but I have a 0311 slot also - I think theyre deploying to Iraq in a couple of months.

firebrick
02-16-07, 08:28 AM
Yes Hawks, I heard they were shipping this year. I will not make this deployment since I will not get out of SOI before December. Have they told you whether or not you would be getting back in time to ship with them? I see you are going in 2 months before me. I am guessing we will be in the same unit as I believe Echo company is the only infantry unit in Des Moines.

outlaw3179
02-16-07, 10:03 PM
2/24 is a very good unit. Both of you will be well taken care of there. Dont worry what rumors you have heard by looking at your ship dates, I think both of you will get an opportunity to go with your unit when they go to Iraq. Also something to remember no matter what rumors you may hear its always good to remember OPSEC. Especially about troop movements and schedules.
If your older dont worry , youll still get treated like a boot for a while, but eventually your maturity and life experiences will set you apart from the other Marines. Semper Fi .

hawks
02-16-07, 11:01 PM
What do you mean by always good to remember OPSEC?

Quinbo
02-17-07, 12:54 AM
Hawks. Opsec is wait until you get back to tell anyone where you are going, when you are going and what you are gonna do.

Had a lad in my squad that was the same age and same date of birth as me. I was a Sergeant and he was a lance corporal. I learned a lot from him. He had been in for 2 years and I had been in for 10. He used to say I joined the Corps to serve my country .... how bout you.