PDA

View Full Version : Lawmakers debate Iraq war in simple terms

thedrifter
02-15-07, 06:30 AM
Lawmakers debate Iraq war in simple terms

By DARLENE SUPERVILLE, Associated Press Writer
Thu Feb 15, 3:28 AM ET

When the congressional debate becomes emotional, historic or even complicated in tone, lawmakers always look for ways to frame the issues — and their own arguments — in simple, human terms.

There's no simpler way to do that than by talking about a constituent or someone else they know, or knew — a tactic tailor-made for the House debate over President Bush's troop increase in Iraq.

During two days of debate, several lawmakers told of emotional meetings with families that lost loved ones to the war.

Republican Rep. Kay Granger (news, bio, voting record) on Sunday visited with the parents of Pfc. Paul Balint Jr., a 22-year-old from Willow Park, Texas. He was killed by sniper fire in Ramadi, the violent city west of Baghdad, just 10 days before Christmas.

"The Balints have never waffled in their belief that the war in Iraq is one that demands our nation's full commitment," Granger, who supports the president, said during Wednesday's debate. "As I wished them well and turned to leave, the Balints asked me to bring a message back to Washington. They said to tell you to stay firm because we need to finish the job in Iraq.

"So I'm speaking today in memory of Paulie."

Rep. Phil Hare (news, bio, voting record), D-Ill., was approached at a recent town-hall meeting by a constituent who showed him a photo of the son he lost in Iraq six months earlier. The man said his wife was so depressed that she hadn't left the house since then.

Three days after that meeting, Hare said he had to telephone the family of Senior Airman Daniel Miller Jr. of Galesburg, Ill. Miller was killed Jan. 7 by a roadside bomb in Baghdad, two weeks before he was due to come home.

"I hope and pray I don't ever have to make another phone call to another grieving family," said Hare, who served in the Army Reserves and has been a member of Congress for six weeks. He opposes sending reinforcements to Iraq.

Rep. John Conyers (news, bio, voting record), D-Mich., who fought in the Korean War, punctuated his remarks against "this disastrous and unnecessary conflict" in Iraq with the story of Pfc. Tarryl Hill. The 19-year-old from Southfield, Mich., was killed last week when his vehicle drove over a bomb in Fallujah, in Anbar province, scene of some of the deadliest fighting.

Hill joined the Marines to help finance his dream of becoming a chemical engineer, Conyers said.

"We must end the senseless deaths of service members like Marine Tarryl Hill," he said. "I do not want to see one more promising life like his extinguished on the altar of this administration's arrogance."

Others suggested they were influenced by the experiences of relatives who've been to the front lines.

"When I talk about supporting our troops, it is not rhetorical, it is personal," said freshman Rep. Gerald McNerney (news, bio, voting record), D-Calif., an opponent of Bush's plan. McNerney's son, Michael, joined the Air Force after the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks and became an munitions officer. He is a captain in the Air Force Reserve.

When she spoke, Rep. Barbara Lee (news, bio, voting record), D-Calif., co-founder of the Out of Iraq Caucus, called herself "the daughter of a proud veteran of two wars." Her father fought in World War II and Korea.

Lawmakers were to debate the issue again all day Thursday, after going late into the night Tuesday and Wednesday. A vote was expected Friday.

As Granger concluded her remarks, she prodded her colleagues to imagine themselves as a young Marine or soldier preparing to head into battle.

"All the while the back of your hair is standing up and the back of your neck is itching because the support you feel that's necessary from your government is lacking," she said.

On the Net:

House of Representatives: www.house.gov

Ellie