PDA

View Full Version : Official "huggers" give a boost to local Marines

thedrifter
02-15-07, 06:17 AM
SPECIAL REPORT: Official "huggers" give a boost to local Marines

By Gil Diaz
NewsChannel 3

Since the start of the war, tens of thousands of Marines from Twentynine Palms have gone and returned, with some of them going through three, even four tours of duty. And every time they go or return, a small group of women are there for them.

You could, in a way, call them the cheerleaders of Twentynine Palms. These women range in age, in life experiences, even military backgrounds. You might not notice them at first, at every send-off or homecoming, until you realize these women are hugging every single Marine there.

A Marine homecoming at Twentynine Palms isn't complete without the fanfare, the families and the hugs.

But these aren't just any old hugs. They're official hugs.

"We didn't know nothing about it. We heard about it when we were overseas."

Tina Mashburn is an official hugger and has been so for over a year now.

"Once I got to know the girls and stuff, they asked me if I wanted to be an official hugger and I was like, 'sure.'"

The girls Tina speaks about are military wives, about a dozen of them, part of the Marine Corps Family Team Building. These girls selflessly give their time, their hugs, night and day, whether the Marines are coming . . .

"I like to see the smile on service members' faces when they come home knowing that they don't have moms, dads, brothers and sisters that are to see them when they get back and to have somebody give them a hug saying, ‘thank you.'"

Or whether the Marines are going . . .

"Some of them, they hug you so tight. We've been through bruised shoulders, bruised breast bones from the butt of the rifle, but it's all worth it."

According to the director of the Marine Corps Family Team Building, the official huggers program actually started in Miramar in 2003, right before the Iraq War started. And since then, it has spread to other bases in the southland. Official huggers don't believe its spread to other states.

"This young fellow comes running out of the blue and he's like 'I got to tell you something, I got to tell you something.' I was like, 'what?' And he says, 'our base is the only base that has official huggers! Thanks a lot!'"

Official huggers say they aim to hug about a third of those from each group.

"As many as they'll let me!"

And they're determined to keep on going.

"So as long as there's deployments and returns, whether they're going to Iraq or Japan, we're going to be here for them."

It's an easy job, a fun job, but it's not for everyone. You've got to have the compassion.

"Because I'm a mom. And if it was my son getting on that bus, I would want to make sure that somebody was here to hug him and say 'hey, come home. We're waiting for you.'"

And above all, you've got to have the strength.

"When this unit left, it was in the middle of the night and I was standing there and this Marine walks up and says, 'Oh my God, you hugged me when I went the first time and you hugged me when I came home. You're here to hug me again. I know I'm coming home now!' and I'm just like, you really have to fight not to be watery-eyed."

More homecomings are in the works. That just means more happy returns. But the best part about coming home, just ask any Marine, are the happy endings.

"It feels good. I mean, we don't have families here . . . I guess I haven't had a hug in a long time - six months! It feels good."

A lot of women out there may want to become an official hugger. In fact, the group is looking for more huggers.

But before you sign up, there's one thing you need to know. You must be able to have access in and out of the base, which means you must have security clearance already.

Ellie