PDA

View Full Version : 1 Year National Guard, rest Marines?

Dwahlst
02-14-07, 07:02 PM
Hey, i am new here (which you all seem friendly so i hope i can earn my place here soon), and i was wondering something. I recently just joined the National Guard, I am still in Highschool so i am going to a "pre-bootcamp" this summer. Is it possible to stay with the national guard this year and join the marines next? Or do i have to wait out my 8 years of NG service?

hawks
02-14-07, 07:14 PM
I'm assuming your a junior in high school. Just wait the extra year - have fun this summer. Then join the Marines for next.

Dwahlst
02-14-07, 08:34 PM
Yes, i am a Junior in Highschool, i graduate June 1st, then get shipped off on August 17th i believe. So if i do transfer is it mostly paper work?

Christ0ph
02-14-07, 08:39 PM
Have you already sworn on oath and signed a contract with the NG or is this for ****s and giggles?

Dwahlst
02-14-07, 08:51 PM
No, I swear my oath next tuesday/wednesday, but i did fill in all my paper work and turned it in.

sgt tony
02-14-07, 09:01 PM
If you have not taken the oath or swear in then you still can change your mind but they do talk to each other so it could cause a little rip.

Dwahlst
02-14-07, 09:04 PM
Is it wise to just stick with the National Guard pre-bootcamp this summer and join the marines next year?
Thanks a lot!

Zulu 36
02-14-07, 10:08 PM
Bear this in mind: Once you raise your right hand, the Air Guard does not have to release you to join any active duty branch, including the Air Force. You sign a contract with them, they decide.

Plus, if you do go to AF basic training, then decide to go Marine, and get the "conditional release" (as it is known), you get to do Marine boot camp too. So it isn't just a paper excercise. No one enlists in the Corps without doing boot camp.

Fail Marine boot camp, and you could be back in the Air Guard. Remember, it was a "conditional release."

I spent 14-years in the Air Guard after seven in the Marines, so I know of what I speak.

Dwahlst
02-14-07, 10:21 PM
So if i do raise my right hand, then I might not be able to join the marines next year?

cplbrooks
02-14-07, 10:34 PM
No, you wont be able to join the Marines next year. Do you really think the national guard wants to spend the money to train you so you can just leave. If you want to be a Marine then just wait until you are eligible and enlist in the Marines. Why not just do it right the first time?

Dwahlst
02-14-07, 11:30 PM
So if i did happen to join the marines, would they offer a pre-bootcamp like the national guard does? And, I can't find a place that tells me so, but (i'm sure there is) is there a Combat Medic MOS in the marines, and if so what asvab score must i get to attain that?

PMKing
02-14-07, 11:34 PM
You can join the DEP and do PT once a week, but a pre-bootcamp doesnt exist. There is also no Medics in the Marine Corps, the Navy provides them.(they are called Corpsmen)

cplbrooks
02-15-07, 12:04 AM
Dwhalst, fill in your profile or you will find this topic deleted. Second, this isnt the boy scouts or summer camp. No there is no pre-boot camp. You will train with your recruiters until your time to ship to the one and only Marine Corps Boot camp. How old are you? If you are a junior and 16, then you should start running and getting yourself in shape. Once this school year is over and you turn 17 then you can enlist into the Marine Corps.

Dont sell yourself short so that you can go to Camp Snoopy this summer and play army. Wait the extra time so that you will have an opportunity to earn the title Marine.

Zulu 36
02-15-07, 06:13 AM
So if i do raise my right hand, then I might not be able to join the marines next year?
If you enlist in the Air Guard, there is no guarantee that they will give you a conditional release to join the Marine Corps. Yes, Marine recruiters will help try to get you that release, but they can't MAKE the Air Guard give it.

Is it possible the Air Guard will give a release? Anything is possible.

If you are looking for some adventure between now and then, I suggest you find a Venturing Crew to join (part of Boy Scouts of America). It's co-ed and takes teens from 14 -20. Plus you don't need a conditional release from them to join the Marines.

A third suggestion: If you want into the Marines that bad, it is also time to do some serious research into what the Corps is, and is not.

Joining the military is not like changing jobs at the local burger joints. "Oh, I don't like McDonald's bosses, I'll go apply at BK down the street." True there are those of us who have been in other branches, but I'd bet 99% of us served our contracts out before moving over and conditional releases were not involved.