PDA

View Full Version : Gott receives Purple Heart

thedrifter
02-14-07, 08:30 AM
Gott receives Purple Heart
By Bob Leal
Managing Editor
Plumas County Newspapers, CA

Former Quincy resident Ryan Gott recently received the Purple Heart for his service in Iraq.

"He's very modest about it," said his mother, Melinda Rother. "His feeling about it was he was just doing his job, and he feels for his brother Marines."

Gott, who was recently promoted to sergeant, suffered a severe concussion, hearing loss and injuries to his neck. He spent five days under care before returning to his unit, according to information provided by the Marines.

The following is an account of what happened supplied by the Marines:

While serving as company police sergeant and 2nd team fire team leader with Regimental Combat Team 5, 1st Marine Expeditionary Force in support of Operation Iraqi Freedom, his ingenuity and sound judgment were instrumental to the company's successful establishment of two hard sites.

His initiative and resourcefulness also provided the company with seamless logistical support. While serving as first team leader during an operation, Corporal Gott's vehicle was struck by an improvised explosive device.

After being temporarily rendered unconscious by the blast, he quickly checked on the status of the Marines on his team, and then without hesitation assumed command of the vehicle, directing the vehicle for over five kilometers to the company's objective.

He then dismounted and led his team in cordoning and clearing 11 buildings, resulting in the detention of two of the company's intended targets and four other known insurgents.

Corporal Gott's initiative, perseverance and total dedication to duty re-elected credit upon him and were in keeping with highest traditions of the Marine Corps and the United States Naval Service.

"I was just doing my job," says Gott, who lives in Sparks with his wife, Emily. The couple has been married for two-and-a-half years and have purchased a home.

"I just got caught on a bad day, pretty much," said the 23-year-old. "I'm just fortunate to be around to talk about it."

When asked his feelings about the war in Iraq, Gott said, "I'm not happy about the situation." And then he politely said that was the end of his comments on the subject.

Gott is looking forward to joining the Reno Police Department. He is waiting on the department to finish his background check.

"There's nothing better than that. That's my main goal. It's a tedious process," Gott said.

Gott spent a total of 20 months in Iraq in Baghdad and Fallujah.

His status is inactive reserve until 2009, he said.

Ryan is the son of Dave Gott and Melinda Rother and son-in-law of Mark and Annie Vukich of Cromberg.

Ellie