PDA

View Full Version : II MEF takes over in Iraq

thedrifter
02-13-07, 04:07 PM
II MEF takes over in Iraq

By Beth Zimmerman - Staff writer
Posted : Tuesday Feb 13, 2007 16:24:59 EST

Camp Pendleton, Calif.-based I Marine Expeditionary Force transferred authority of Multi-National Forces-West to Camp Lejeune, N.C.-based II MEF on Friday, according to a Corps spokesman.

The ceremony at Camp Fallujah, Iraq, officially gave II MEF control of Anbar province, according to a video released by the Corps. I MEF has been commanding forces there for one year.

“It has been a year of momentous change and accomplishment, but much remains to be done during this critical phase of Operation Iraqi Freedom,” said Maj. Gen. Richard Zilmer, commanding general of I MEF (Forward), during the ceremony.

The commander of 2nd Marine Division and II MEF (Forward), Maj. Gen. W.E. Gaskin, noted the strides made by the outgoing MEF, and vowed during the ceremony that II MEF would “follow the course” set by I MEF while being “mindful of the price of [I MEF’s] success.”

The video released of the Feb. 9 ceremony also shows Gaskin meeting with local officials following the ceremony, who said, through a translator, they hoped Iraqi and American forces could all work as “one team” to bring security and stability to Iraq’s Anbar province.

Ellie