PDA

View Full Version : III Marines in Okinawa

maysoon
02-13-07, 12:13 PM
Hello, I am majoring in Japanese at the University of Washington. I am wondering if there is a possiblity of gaining a commission as a second lieutenant as a translator with a B.A. in Japanese stationing in Okinawa, Japan with the III Marines.

I am wondering whether or not I would be in a place of disadvantage. One problem is that I am caucasian without a trace of Japanese blood. I wonder if this would mean that I would have to compete with the Japanese Americans, especially those born on their soil and naturalized as US citizens being more fluent in Japanese, and holding dual citizenship where there travel within Japan is much easier than for me. I wish to also know if there are any Nikkei Japanese Americans who served as US Marines in Okinawa, and how their experience was like? Were the locals there proud to see one of their descendents wearing our uniform as we are now allies?

Zulu 36
02-13-07, 02:54 PM
If I'm not mistaken, the Marine Corps will not likely take you strictly as a "translator" in any language if you are an unrestricted officer (i.e., normal commission as opposed to a limited duty officer commission). Only former enlisted Marines, who became warrant officers, can get LDO commissions.

I would suggest speaking with an officer selection officer near your university (if you can't find one in the yellow pages, a regular Marine recruiter can put you in contact with an OSO, but expect to be hit up to enlist instead).

You might be taken as an intelligence officer if you are otherwise qualified for that work, and get a Japanese language designator. But understand, you would still have to pass Officer Candidate School and The Basic School before getting to that point.

As far as service location, as has been said, Mother Green sends you where you are considered most needed. Even if you go to Japan/Okinawa as an initial tour, the Corps will not leave you rooted there.

As an example, I went to a school with an Army Green Beret. He spoke seven European languages fluently and several others so-so. After school, the Army sent him to Korea. The Marine Corps is just as likely to do the same, except to Iraq or the 'Stan.

BTW, what do you mean by "III Marines?" Do you mean the 3rd Marine Division? Or III MEF?

maysoon
02-13-07, 03:18 PM
If I'm not mistaken, the Marine Corps will not likely take you strictly as a "translator" in any language if you are an unrestricted officer (i.e., normal commission as opposed to a limited duty officer commission). Only former enlisted Marines, who became warrant officers, can get LDO commissions.

I would suggest speaking with an officer selection officer near your university (if you can't find one in the yellow pages, a regular Marine recruiter can put you in contact with an OSO, but expect to be hit up to enlist instead).

You might be taken as an intelligence officer if you are otherwise qualified for that work, and get a Japanese language designator. But understand, you would still have to pass Officer Candidate School and The Basic School before getting to that point.

As far as service location, as has been said, Mother Green sends you where you are considered most needed. Even if you go to Japan/Okinawa as an initial tour, the Corps will not leave you rooted there.

As an example, I went to a school with an Army Green Beret. He spoke seven European languages fluently and several others so-so. After school, the Army sent him to Korea. The Marine Corps is just as likely to do the same, except to Iraq or the 'Stan.

BTW, what do you mean by "III Marines?" Do you mean the 3rd Marine Division? Or III MEF?

Hi, I was looking at http://www.okinawa.usmc.mil/

私はこれ位の日本語の言語力を当時持っているのですが、どうでしょうか。 私の文法は少しは不自然だと思う のですが、どうでしょうか。

I provided with you a little sample above. I have passed JLPT level 3 right now. I am wondering what level I must pass this test up to. I hope what are my chances when it comes to competing with Japanese American Issei dual citizens?

Echo_Four_Bravo
02-13-07, 03:36 PM
Third Marines is the third Marine regiment. You are talking about the Third Division or Third MEF.

Regardless, they will never promise you a duty station like you're trying to get. Officers don't have the same ability to pick jobs as enlisted Marines have. The demand for Japanese isn't real high, so I would say your chances of serving in the role you have posted are pretty slim.

davecerami275
02-13-07, 03:41 PM
FIELD 27, LINGUIST

The linguist OccFld contains skill designator MOS's broken down to identify specific foreign language skills. Qualifications require that Marines obtain and maintain a minimum Defense Language Proficiency Test (DLPT) skill proficiency level of 2 in at least two out of the three tested areas (listening, reading, and speaking). The DLPT is the current Department of Defense standard to determine foreign language proficiency and maintain quality control . Duties may involve direct supervision and participation in language translation/interpretation activities in support of the full range of military operational and intelligence matters encountered during contingencies, operations, and exercises . Formal schooling is provided to those Marines entering this OccFld as a part of the comprehensive training program for designated Moss within the 02XX (Intelligence), and 267X (Signals Intelligence), OccFlds .

However, required foreign language skills may be obtained through any combination of formal or informal training.
Requirements/Prerequisites

(1) Successfully complete the required course of instruction at the Defense Language Institute . (Note : Individuals may also qualify for this skill designator MOS by demonstrating proficiency in the appropriate language by achieving a minimum level 2 proficiency in both the listening and either the reading or speaking portions of the Defense Language Proficiency Test (DLPT).

(2) Maintain a current qualifying Defense Language Proficiency Test (DLPT) score of Reading Level 2/Listening Level 2.

Duties
(1) Conducts bidirectional consecutive interpretation of target language to English and English to target language using phraseology selected to preserve the original intent, meaning, and emphasis.

(2) Phrases ideas to avoid language that is stilted, unnatural, and difficult to understand.

(3) Displays an impartial attitude toward each speaker and to facts and opinions expressed.

(4) Interprets into either English or foreign language statements made by participants in conferences, working parties, and all similar activities.

(5) Interviews friendly non-English speaking civilians such as police, clergymen, and other citizens to obtain information of military value.

(6) Writes reports, including opinion as to the credibility of the person interviewed, for use by unit commander and for dissemination to lower, adjacent, and higher headquarters.

(7) Translates into either English or the foreign language, written material of both a technical and non-technical nature.

(8) Establishes a file of language reference materials, English and foreign language dictionaries, and glossaries of military terms.

Skill Designator MOS's

2711 -- Afghan Pushtu
2712 -- Arabic (Modern Standard)
2713 -- Arabic (Egyptian)
2714 -- Arabic (Syrian)
2716 -- Amharic
2717 -- Bengali
2718 -- Hebrew
2719 -- Hindi
2721 -- Kurdish
2722 -- Persian-Farsi
2723 -- Somali
2724 -- Swahili
2726 -- Turkish
2727 -- Urdu
Asian Pacific Linguists

2733 -- Burmese
2734 -- Cambodian
2736 -- Chinese (Cantonese)
2737 -- Chinese (Mandarin)
2738 -- Indonesian
2739 -- Japanese
2741 -- Korean
2742 -- Laotian
2743 -- Malay
2744 -- Tagalog
2846 -- Thai
2747 -- Vietnamese
European (West) Linguists

2754 -- Dutch
2756 -- Finnish
2757 -- French
2758 -- German
2759 -- Greek
2761 -- Haitian-Creole
2762 -- Icelandic
2763 -- Italian
2764 -- Norwegian
2766 -- Portuguese (Brazilian)
2767 -- Portuguese (European)
2768 -- Spanish
2769 -- Swedish
European (East) Linguists

2776 -- Albanian
2777 -- Armenian
2778 -- Bulgarian
2779 -- Czech
2781 -- Estonian
2782 -- Georgian
2783 -- Hungarian
2784 -- Latvian
2786 -- Lithuanian
2787 -- Macedonian
2788 -- Polish
2789 -- Romanian
2791 -- Russian
2792 -- Serb-Croat
2793 -- Slovenian
2794 -- Ukrainian
Note: A Skill-Designator MOS is a "job within a job." It denotes a special skill or training that the Marine holds in addition to the general requirements of his/her Primary MOS.

Quinbo
02-13-07, 06:29 PM
I have a nephew that has been designated fluent in reading and writing Kanji(sp). He also speaks it very well. The air force is his branch of choice and my feelings on that is; good job on desiring to join the military. Sports cars are cool but if all you can afford is a Geo Metro then proudly drive it. There are other services if your goal is translation rather than wearing MC green.

I am reminded of a story ....
I was a gate sentry at Camp Courtney Okinawa and an officers wife had called a local national plumber for whatever reason to come fix whatever. She was standing at the gate and explained all that to us and was going to sponser him in. When he arrived she immediately started speaking to him in Japanese. She was not of Asian decent and probably spoke **** better than he spoke yank. It was impressive but I don't think any recruiters ran out there to gather her up as the next great translator for the Corps.

Hachiro
02-14-07, 03:05 PM
This maysoon's desire to be a translator is one thing, she really doesnt understand the Corp and going where one is needed and not where one wants. If the two coincide great but what are the odds?

One other thing why the constant referal to nissei and having to compete?

She go some kind of hard on for 2 or 3rd generation American's?

She got kicked off one message board for this kind of racial flam baiting, I hope she learned her lesson and doesnt start it up here as well.

maysoon
02-14-07, 03:19 PM
[quote=Hachiro]This maysoon's desire to be a translator is one thing, she really doesnt understand the Corp and going where one is needed and not where one wants. If the two coincide great but what are the odds?

One other thing why the constant referal to nissei and having to compete?

She go some kind of hard on for 2 or 3rd generation American's?

She got kicked off one message board for this kind of racial flam baiting, I hope she learned her lesson and doesnt start it up here as well.[/quoteI

I am not flamebating. I am looking for work, Hachiro. I am sorry if you feel that a white person cannot learn Japanese as good as you can as a Japanese. And in my experience, quite honestly, I have seen many JA's who had excelled beyond my dreams.

My question is an honest one. Maybe I do have an inferiority complex trying to learn Kanji in competing with other Japanese. I am intimidated a little, and that is the truth. It is like if you were having to compete against a bunch of Navy Seals, and you were just a regular Army infantryman, and not even a marine, how would you feel? I have honestly seen some JA's in my class who study not even a quarter as much as I do, and perform ten times better than I do. My grades are only at C+ average, and my linguistic expressions are not as natural as theirs is.

I am also fully aware that Japanese Americans are just as loyal as I am, and would not hesitate to go to Okinawa themselves, I felt that chances were rather slim in being chosen for a commission to be a translator with many who compete for this position. I even think there are Issei Japanese who would be happy to do this to get their US citizenship, that I would never be able to compete against.

So Hachiro san, I am not being racist. It is not you Japanese who are the problem, but I wonder how much I would be a problem as a translator. It isnt you guys, it is me. So please dont feel this way.

Hachiro
02-14-07, 08:03 PM
Not racist? Me thinks otherwise Why do you write your posts in the 3rd person like your talking about someone else and not yourself?

It is not you Japanese who are the problem
Dont assume you know who you are talking to on a message board.
Oh and quit sending me PM's or emails too okay.

I also notice that your previous thread here on the RCT was deleted too. Not racially motivated. Right

If you are honestly looking for work you dont need anyones help here in finding out about Neisei or Sansei in the Marine Corp, it wont matter, the Corp will send you where they need you. If you are that patriotic follow my former Marine nrothers and sisters to where the action is and not somewhere where you can feed that ego of yours.

You want to join, join, go for it. Just leave the jingoism and other crap at the door.

There is NO color or race in the Corp other than the Marine Corp color. You'd be best served to remember that.

Soon2BeVIP
02-14-07, 08:11 PM
hope all works out for you maysoon...as you see you have to be careful with how you word things on these websites :p

maysoon
02-14-07, 08:53 PM
hope all works out for you maysoon...as you see you have to be careful with how you word things on these websites :p

I think you are right about careful wording. It is too bad we are not doing video blogs where we can see facial gestures, and the non verbal nuances which make communication more clear.

Hachiro, we are all Americans. We fight wars against other nations, we must put our differences aside as I must be reliant of the man on my left and the man on my right.

Hachiro
02-15-07, 07:23 AM

Well just to let you know there is more to this maysoon than you guys here realize. He is a chameleon

http://www.hawaiithreads.com/showthread.php?t=11904

He posts over there under the handle of ewatada

http://www.jref.com/forum/showthread.php?t=27898

under the name of bexchurnside and

http://www.jref.com/forum/showthread.php?t=29473

jonathancameroon (which was banned)

Oh and the name maysoon here.

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to look at the threads to links I posted here to see the same mannerisms, method of posting, or borderline racial commentary to see what I am talking about.

The information and topics are all one and the same person. I came here to warn ya'll about watching out for her or him.

Read what the definition of an internet troll is and it fits this person to a T. I will also remind you that this persons post about the RCT here was deleted. The moderators/admin here should be aware of the content of this member.

Just a friendly warning folks, watch out.

Echo_Four_Bravo
02-15-07, 11:48 AM
You two need to stop the bickering. I don't care what your problems were on other forums, we're not going to deal with it here. Hachiro, I don't know why you followed maysoon here, but feel free to not post any more links to other forums. In my mind, you are the problem here. Please stop trying to make your problem ours.

The simple truth is that you do not choose an MOS when you apply for a commission. If you are accepted, which is far from a sure thing, you will have the MOS that you are assigned. If it is being a translator, then that is what it will be. But, it could be as a supply officer just as easy.

cplbrooks
02-15-07, 12:17 PM
why not just call a recruiter and ask him what the best way is to accomplish your goals of becoming a linguist? They need Korean linguists a bit more than what you are doing now though.

maysoon
02-15-07, 05:54 PM
Well just to let you know there is more to this maysoon than you guys here realize. He is a chameleon

http://www.hawaiithreads.com/showthread.php?t=11904

He posts over there under the handle of ewatada

http://www.jref.com/forum/showthread.php?t=27898

under the name of bexchurnside and

http://www.jref.com/forum/showthread.php?t=29473

jonathancameroon (which was banned)

Oh and the name maysoon here.

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to look at the threads to links I posted here to see the same mannerisms, method of posting, or borderline racial commentary to see what I am talking about.

The information and topics are all one and the same person. I came here to warn ya'll about watching out for her or him.

Read what the definition of an internet troll is and it fits this person to a T. I will also remind you that this persons post about the RCT here was deleted. The moderators/admin here should be aware of the content of this member.

Just a friendly warning folks, watch out.
Hachiro, I am sorry, but I have nothing to do with this. I am sorry if it offends you as a dual citizen that as a caucasian I am learning your language. Please remember, you are Hachiro, an American just the same as I am. I had been involved in situations where some Japanese Americans felt ashamed that I had a stronger command of their ancestral mother tounge than they did. I honestly don't know if I should be applogising, or what to do in such a situation if it occurred in the marine corps after I join up. I am sure that there are some JA's that are better than I am at English in the corps, so I see it as no different than that. I do appologise if I have pushed a cultural button that I am oblivious to as a non Japanese. Please forgive me Hachirosan, also if you feel that I should step aside for you JA's to take this MOS instead of myself.

I do not for one moment even pretend to think that I am more qualified than some of you JA's so if you insist on this position over me, I will be happy to step aside. But honestly, I do not know how to appologize for learning Japanese to an advanced level. Maybe it is about shame and honor, the samurai spirit that lingers on. If I steped on your Samurai sense of honor, I am truly sorry, I meant no harm.

Hachiro
02-15-07, 08:21 PM
Good lord man can you read English?

Dont assume you know who you are talking to on a message board.

I am not Japanese.

Your condescending manner is a pain the arse, get off it.

Locking post..

Ellie