PDA

View Full Version : Stint in Marine Corps was just part of her plan

thedrifter
02-13-07, 08:21 AM
Stint in Marine Corps was just part of her plan

By Cheryl Martin (Contact)
Tuesday, February 13, 2007

"Graduate from high school, join the Marines, get an education and see the world."

It's not an unusual plan, but for a woman in the 1960s, it wasn't exactly the expected.

Barbara Ising Kortz, who was born in Evansville and lived most of her life in Millersburg, Ind., was the oldest of six and helped raise her brothers and sisters.

After graduating from Castle High School in the spring of 1967, she knew there wouldn't be money for college.

Instead she joined the Marines and left for boot camp in January 1968. She left Evansville on a Greyhound bus for Louisville, Ky., where she'd have her physical and be sworn in.

It was her first time away from home. "What was ahead I didn't know," she said.

She admits she was a little scared: "When I got on the bus, I cried a little bit."

Her mom and aunt saw her off that night. As she remembers it, her father had to work.

Her family took her decision to join the Marines fairly well, she said. They were sad to see her go, but they knew it was "a good challenge for me, a good adventure," she said.

From Louisville she went to Paris Island, S.C., for boot camp.

"Boot camp was nothing like it is now," she said.

It was marching, drilling, classes to learn about being Marines. There were also tests to find out what she and the other new Marines were qualified to do.

Kortz then headed to San Diego for communication center school. Messages from all over the base would come into the center and then be sent out all over the world, Kortz explained.

They used an "antique computer." It was bigger than the desk-sized ones used today.

When it came time for duty assignments, Kortz didn't get her first choice, which was Vietnam.

"I wanted to serve my country." She wanted to help more, but "back then women weren't really allowed to be sent to the war zones," she said.

Instead, she was stationed in Okinawa, Japan, at Camp Butler. When the 3rd Division returned from Vietnam, it took over Camp Butler and most of the women were relocated to Camp Hanson. However, the Communications Center staff was allowed to stay since it was the only comm center on the base.

Her last assignment was at Quantico, Va., before she returned to Evansville in December 1972. She was hired as one of the first civilian radio dispatchers and met her husband, Robert.

Kortz doesn't think the military is just for a select few.

"I think all men and women should go into the military for a short period of time to learn respect. Learn to be dependable."

During the Vietnam era, the women Marines were there to "free a man to fight," Kortz said.

Things have come a long way since the Marines formed the Women's Reserve on Feb. 13, 1943.

Kortz, who lives in Evansville, would like to find other female Marines in the area who might be interested in starting a local chapter of Women Marines Association.

Local chapters provide camaraderie and can provide aid to active Marines and their families. Anyone interested may contact Kortz at 568-4274 or isingbk@aol.com

While she was serving her country and receiving an education, she had her chance to see the world.

"It was an experience to meet all these different people," she said.

A visit to the museum at Hiroshima, where the United States dropped an atomic bomb during World War II, weighs heavily in her thoughts.

"It was ghastly - the things I saw there. I hope it never happens again."

If you have a suggestion for "Neighbors," call Cheryl Martin at 464-7525 or send e-mail to martinc@courierpress.com.

Ellie