PDA

View Full Version : Three Marines honored with Purple Hearts

thedrifter
02-13-07, 06:55 AM
Three Marines honored with Purple Hearts

By: JOE BECK - Staff Writer

CAMP PENDLETON -- The awarding of Purple Hearts to three Marines from the same unit Monday gave observers a glimpse into the variety of injuries that the conflict has left among the more than 23,000 American service members injured in Iraq.

Lance Cpl. Armando Castro said his leg was nearly blown off. Lance Cpl. Jonathan R. Green described being severely burned. Sgt. Richard J. Popp said he was shot in the lower back by an insurgent sniper.

All three were injured late last year in Iraq in two incidents in Fallujah, a city that has been the scene of some of the most intense fighting and also a place that some military officials have hailed for decreased levels of violence in recent months. Purple Hearts are awarded to service members who receive wounds serious enough to require medical treatment.

The men are from the 1st Battalion, 24th Marine Regiment, which is headquartered at Selfridge Air National Guard Base in Michigan.

Sgt. Jesse Lora, a spokesman for Camp Pendleton, said it was unusual for three members from the same unit to receive Purple Hearts in one ceremony.

The three received their awards from Lt. Gen. Jack Bergman, commander of the Marine Forces Reserve, who was visiting the base Monday.

Castro, 23, of Fort Smith, Ark., stood with the help of crutches through the ceremony. In an interview afterward, he said he still has several months of recovery ahead of him from the leg injury he received when a roadside bomb detonated under the Humvee he was riding in on Oct. 23, 2006. He said doctors expect him to be able to walk normally in 10 or 12 months, but his ability to run again on a basketball court or a soccer field is uncertain.

"I love playing sports," Castro said. "There's no way I'm going to sit around and do nothing."

Castro was the gunner and Green, 22, of Palatine, Ill., was the driver in the Humvee when it blew up. Green's face shows only a slight pinkish color where it was burned from the explosion. He said he is almost fully recovered.

Both men received their injuries in the first month of their first deployment in Iraq. Three other Marines were riding in the Humvee; two of them are still recovering from their wounds in San Antonio, Texas, Castro said. The third injured Marine was deemed well enough to continue his deployment in Iraq, Castro said.

"We were having a good time until we got blown up," Castro quipped.

Popp, 31, of Indianapolis, said he clearly heard the shot that wounded him before he felt it while leading a Marine patrol on foot in Fallujah on Oct. 19. More Marines have been suffering injuries from snipers as the conflict has worn on, Popp said.

"It's become more and more of a problem. Those guys are sneaky to say the least," said Popp, who was on his second deployment to Iraq.

He said he is almost fully recovered and more than willing to face more danger in Iraq.

"I'd go tomorrow to rejoin my guys and my company," he said.

-- Contact staff writer Joe Beck at (760) 740-3516 or jbeck@nctimes.com. Comment at nctimes.com.

Ellie