PDA

View Full Version : Program Lets Wounded Soldiers Ski Crested Butte

thedrifter
02-12-07, 05:02 PM
Feb 12, 2007 9:56 am US/Mountain
Program Lets Wounded Soldiers Ski Crested Butte

Andrea Lopez
Reporting

(CBS4) CRESTED BUTTE, Colo. American soldiers and Marines wounded in the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan enjoyed a day of skiing at Crested Butte on Sunday. Their outing was part of the adaptive ski program.

The soldiers were fitted for the right gear in the morning. Some had lost limbs in the war and had to use specialized equipment for skiing.

After some instruction, the group was headed down the mountain. Some of the soldiers had never skied before.

"I just get a lot of intestinal fortitude," said Gunnery Sgt. William Gibson of Tulsa, Okla. "I build on the things that I lost in the past and I'm regaining a new respect for things that I can accomplish."

"The good part is, it still allows you to know that you can function as an everyday person," said Gunnery Sgt. Damion Jacobs or Cincinnati, Ohio. "Still be as competitive on the slopes. There's not much that you've lost due to your injury. You have to overcome a few disabilities here, but once you over come those things, anything is possible."

The service members said they hope others who have lost limbs will hear about the program and will try skiing.