View Full Version : Bethel Park man dies a 'true warrior' in Iraq

thedrifter
02-12-07, 08:58 AM
Bethel Park man dies a 'true warrior' in Iraq
By Brian C. Rittmeyer
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Monday, February 12, 2007

A soldier from Bethel Park was remembered Sunday as a "true warrior."

Pastor James D. Molstre of Ruthfred Evangelical Lutheran Church told his congregation that Russell Kurtz, who recently turned 22, was killed in action in Iraq. Molstre said he spoke with Kurtz's mother that morning.

The circumstances of Kurtz's death, including when it occurred, were not available. A Pentagon spokesman declined to comment yesterday.

Kurtz's father, Roger Kurtz, said his son enlisted in the Army before graduating from Bethel Park High School in 2003, and left for the service in October that year. He declined to comment further.

Russell Kurtz was baptized and confirmed at Ruthfred, where his family has attended services for several years, Molstre said.

Bethel Park Mayor Cliff Morton, who attends the church and knows Russell Kurtz and his family, said he was upset by word of the young man's death.

"I think he was a true warrior," said Morton, who served in the Marines during the Korean War. "He wanted to do this. It didn't turn out in the end so well. He's a hero as far as I'm concerned."

Russell Kurtz played football at Bethel Park throughout high school, where he was a running back on offense and played several positions on defense, said former Coach Jeff Metheny.

"He was a nice kid. He was a hardworking young man. He worked extremely hard in the football program," Metheny said. "All the guys on that particular team were a close-knit group. He was a part of a team that was very successful."

Morton, who said he saw Russell Kurtz grow up through the church, described him as a physically "tough" and "rough and rumble type of kid." Morton said Russell Kurtz worked at his family's grocery store in Bethel Park, which his grandparents had owned at one time.

Morton said Russell Kurtz appeared to develop an interest in joining the military when he was quite young.

"That was just something he felt he was called to do. He just wanted to serve his country in the worst way, so he went," Morton said.

Metheny said Kurtz was excited about serving in the military. During a visit after his graduation, Metheny said Russell Kurtz looked good and strong.

"I was glad for him. It seemed to be something he was at ease with. He was excited about going and serving. All you can do is encourage them and wish them good luck and a safe trip home," he said.

"I'm real proud of him, as everyone here is. He was a good kid, a nice young man and it's tragic that we had to lose him in this way."

Brian C. Rittmeyer can be reached at brittmeyer@tribweb.com or (724) 779-7108.

Ellie