PDA

View Full Version : Purple Heart Awarded To Marines In Topsham

thedrifter
02-11-07, 06:41 AM
Purple Heart Awarded To Marines In Topsham
Web Editor: Matt Bush, Online Content Producer
Last Updated: 2/10/2007 7:14:29 PM

In Topsham two marines from Maine were recognized for their courage and sacrifice in Iraq.
Both men were awarded the Purple Heart Saturday. The Purple Heart award was first handed out by George Washington in 1782. It honors soldiers who have been wounded or killed in battle.

Marine Corporal Eric King is a Bangor native. He was injured by a road- side bomb while serving in Fallujah, Iraq.

"I remember a noise and then I could hear an explosion. I didn't see anything. The next thing I knew I was getting out of a vehicle and looking for my buddies," said King.

Corporal Brian Smith Junior, nearly lost his arm when his vehicle hit an IED.

As these two Marines recover, their efforts are being honored with the Purple Heart.

To be able to present the award this to corp. Smith and corp. King in front of the marines with them, some who were in the vehicle with them and their families it's truly humbling.

Corporal Smith told his fellow marines, this medal is a statement of their service

"It wasn't just me over there or the ones getting wounded receiving all the attention. It was all of us together," said Smith.

The Marine Corps "A" company was also presented with an award from the Marine Corps League of Bangor. The award was given in honor of the unit's efforts while serving in Fallujah, Iraq.

NEWS CENTER

Ellie