PDA

View Full Version : Physical Conditioning Platoon

jm4magic
02-11-07, 01:36 AM
I know it’s important that you get into some semblance of physical shape before the 13 week college... but if you are unable to perform basic exercises, you may spend a significant amount of time in PCP (the Physical Conditioning Platoon). I heard that PCP is tough: PCP's objective is physical fitness, and that's what you'll be concentrating in while in the program. I also heard Individuals remain in PCP until they can while it is normally a 21 day program, once you're in, you don't get out until you can do 3 pull ups, 40 sit ups in 2 minutes, and run 3 miles in 28:00 minutes. My questions are how do you get qualified to RSP? How does a recruit fail at boot camp? And what if you need to stay in PCP for 3 months and what do you do there after you PT?

Hobson
02-11-07, 01:57 AM
If you're worried about going into the Pork Chop Platoon and are serious about getting in shape out of boot camp then I reccomend doing it outside MCRD. Yet, if you find youself not working out but you can't go to boot camp in a RSP then go to MCRD if you're not too fat or slow and do pork chop platoon, it will get you in shape even if it takes ten months. The only way you can "fail" at boot camp is if you quit.
:bunny:

Semper Fi

Christ0ph
02-11-07, 04:59 PM
the intial IST in bootcamp is 1.5mi in 13:30, correct? I've heard a few sources say right off the bat after recieving you need to be able to do 3mi in 28min! Is this true?

Allen870922
02-11-07, 08:24 PM
If you fail any part of the IST, or a PFT then you go to PCP. You will not get out until you can pass either an IST or a PFT. It depends on your training day. Same way for the other Special training...

Allen870922
02-11-07, 08:31 PM
the intial IST in bootcamp is 1.5mi in 13:30, correct? I've heard a few sources say right off the bat after recieving you need to be able to do 3mi in 28min! Is this true?

Yes the time is correct for the IST. But doing 3 miles right off the bat, no. They work you up to it. They'll do 2 miles, then maybe 2.5, 3, and about a week before our final pft they had us do a run that was almost 4 miles. That was in 2nd Bn. I'm not sure what 1st and 3rd does. Especially 3rd. Those guys PT more than any other Battalion.

Echo_Four_Bravo
02-11-07, 10:08 PM
You'll run 1.5 miles once in your Marine Corps career. Don't waste time training for that. Train for the PFT and you will be fine.

As for PCP. you will PT every day. Other than that you don't so much. You will spend hours shining boots, studying your knowledge, and wishing you were somewhere else. If you can't pass an IST, don't ship to bootcamp. You'll be much better off training on your own, unless you just don't have the discipline to do that.

FistFu68
02-12-07, 12:28 PM
:evilgrin: NO MATTER WHAT!!!DON'T QUITE~HELL IF YOU HAVE TO DO THE OTHER REGIMENT~JUST TOUGH IT OUT~AND USE IT AS ADD ON TWO$$$$!FOR YOU'R TIME SERVED IN THE (USMC) GOOD~LUCK~SON!!!!TO THE BRAVE-GOOD FORTUNE!!!S/F THAT~:iwo: 10/FOUUUUUUU~~~~~~~:thumbup:

futureMarine418
02-12-07, 02:25 PM
what if you cant do any pull ups?

yellowwing
02-12-07, 02:35 PM
Then make it your mission in life to pull yourself up.

Jfloirendo
02-12-07, 02:36 PM
No one wants to PCP. I just graduated 9 Feb and everytime I seen PCP in the chow hall they look like they hate their lives. I made the mistake of going down to the Island out of shape but now I feel great. The IST isnt that hard just gotta do the pull-ups, they are the hardest part.

Marine84
02-12-07, 02:41 PM

OH GOD! Another one? Or are you the same one that couldn't do them 3 months ago? You better get to it hoss!

futureMarine418
02-12-07, 02:45 PM
OH GOD! Another one? Or are you the same one that couldn't do them 3 months ago? You better get to it hoss!

No this is the first time ive posted about pull ups. But just so im clear if you cant do a pull up at IST you will be sent to PCP?

Jfloirendo
02-12-07, 02:47 PM
Yes if you cant do any you'll get sent to PCP. Sometimes if you do 1 they let you to training if you pass the other 2 events. But don't hope for it.

Echo_Four_Bravo
02-12-07, 11:36 PM
It isn't hard to understand. You fail the IST and you go to PCP unless the SDI decides there is some great reason to keep you. If you show up and can't pull yourself over the bar one time, he doesn't have that reason.

You shouldn't ship to boot camp if you cannot do the IST. If you can't get one pull up you know that you don't belong in training. All you are doing is wasting time and money that could be spent training people to be Marines. Fix yourself now, before you ship, and save everyone the trouble later.

kenny256544
02-13-07, 05:19 PM
i dont think you can ship out if u dont pass the ist initially... but if u cant do any pull ups keep trying... when i deped in at first i couldnt do a pull up now i got 4

Echo_Four_Bravo
02-13-07, 11:34 PM
The fact that there is a PCP shows that recruits are able to ship without being able to pass the IST.

FistFu68
02-14-07, 01:47 PM
:evilgrin: SIR, MY AZZ CAN DO ALOT MORE PULLUP'S;IF YOU KICK ME IN THE NUT'S,SIR!!!:D

kenny256544
02-15-07, 12:37 PM
I see... i just thought the IST we take before shipping was to stop us if we didint pass...

Jfloirendo
02-15-07, 07:43 PM
no unfortunately recruiters like to send poolees that cant do it to boot camp anyway. Parris Island has no way to verify if the recruit passed it or not its just up to the word of the recruiters. There was a kid I shipped with out of MEPS together who said he did 4 pull-ups, we got on the Island and we were in the same platoon and he ended up doing 0 and he got dropped to PCP so its up to the recruiters if they want to send you or not.

Achped
02-15-07, 09:01 PM
I have no idea why pullups are so hard for everyone. I had literally not done a single exercise for like...an entire year when I depped in. I was 6'4" 147 lbs.

Our first pool function was the saturday after the thursday I dep'd in. I got 7 pullups! However I only got 45 crunches, and...15:40? on my run?

Now I'm up to 13 pullups, 150+ crunches, and 11:00~ on my run.

This isn't a brag-type post, I just don't get it. The run was my hardest thing, but I got it way down. Pullups? You just pull!!!

SmokeyBandit
02-16-07, 09:57 AM
Pullups at first are certainly the hardest exercise, but also the easiest to improve in if you work at it. I couldn't do 3 last May, but by the end of June I was up to 10 and now I'm currently at 17 and with a little guts I'm pretty damn sure I can get the 20. All I did was get up early in the morning and run to the local playground and do 3 sets of 3 then 3 sets of 6,8,10,12 as I could handle...I also through in some pushups and situps. Regaurdless of what kind of exercise plan you do the only way you'll truely fail is if you quit.

jm4magic
02-25-07, 11:39 PM
Appreciate the help!