PDA

View Full Version : Having a Drink With The Real Patriots

thedrifter
02-10-07, 06:54 PM
Having a Drink With The Real Patriots
Dan Barrile
PatriotsInsider.com Feb 10, 2007

In Patriots Insider's continuing series featuring fan blogs, Dan Barrile returns to share a few thoughts of some Patriots fans he met while traveling in the south. As football season has ended, we turn our attention back to more important matters. Dan recalls a chance meeting he had with some Patriots fans in Charleston... those fans may just be somewhere a lot more dangerous right now. Enjoy.

When I still lived in Savannah, sometimes for a change of scenery I would take a weekend drive to Charleston.

I would usually browse the shops on King Street, check out the art galleries, and Saturday farmers market, walk along battery park, find a new place to have dinner then head back to Savannah.

During one of my Saturday trips I ran in to two US Marines. One of the Marines noticed I was wearing a New England Patriots t-shirt and said.

"Patriots...oh yeah!"

"Patriots rule man." the other one said

The two Marines were named Donny and Paul. Donny was from Natick, and Paul was from Waltham. Two towns right outside of Boston, so, like me, they were both huge Patriots fans. They were on a weekend pass from Parris Island and were headed to Henry's, a bar down the street, to have some drinks.

They invited me to join them, and since I had no other plans I decided to take them up on their offer.

When we got there, there were already several other Marines at a table drinking, and I was instantly handed a beer.

I was sitting with a black Marine named Henry who looked and acted a lot like Dave Chappelle, and Gene, who everyone was calling "Cowboy"... I don't believe Gene was 21, but he was still getting served.

Henry asked me what I did for a living. I told him that I was an elementary school teacher.

"Oh, man. That is one job that I could never do...no way no how. Henry stood up and started waving his hands. I'd say listen you little brats!! Sit down and shut up."

Everyone laughed at Henry's teacher impersonation.

Gene took some pictures out of his wallet and showed them to me, one was of an old Mustang that he and his dad were rebuilding together, and another was of his girlfriend back home. "I'm puttin' a ring on her finger as soon as she's ready." He told me with the excitement in his voice of a man in love.

After we had "a prayer meeting", which meant everyone drinking a shot of Lord Calvert, the party broke up.

The guys were headed to another bar over on Calhoun Street and invited me to join them. I declined their offer, as I wanted to sober up a bit and head back to Savannah.

"You guys be safe, if you have to go overseas." I told them.

"We're not worried...We're Marines"

I believed them.

Ellie