PDA

View Full Version : My first Poolee function

rolive
02-10-07, 02:11 PM
So today my Recruiters held their first Poolee meeting for the new year. They had to cancel all of the others because of bad weather, but today was just a bit chilly so they went ahead. It was alot of fun. We got to do what they called Super Squad drills where we are given a map with locations and when you reach the locations with your squad most of the squad does PT like body builders or build a house. While this is going on two Poolees answer about 15 questions about the Marine Corps. For each correct question the sqad recieves 10 seconds off the final time. my squad that I was in did it in 42 mins. (one of our guys just got out of toe surgery so was a bit slow on the run.) We came in last in time but while the other teams only got about 30 questions right We got 65 right, so we ended up in second by a 2 mins.

Loads of fun.

Next meeting is a paintball game against the Navy poolees next door..:)

What stuff do you guys do in your poolee meetings?

Hectic
02-10-07, 02:12 PM
I just got back from Celtic Games against North Phoenix. It was the funniest thing ever.

Quinbo
02-10-07, 03:57 PM
My hat is off to recruiters. How do they find the time to find you, then test you, and research you and hold your hand all the way to MEPS and beyond all the way to boot camp? Your weekend having fun is his weekend away from his family. Monday ... he is back at it finding another young warrior that might fit the bill. Recruiters ... I salute you.

USMC90
02-10-07, 04:32 PM
That's awsome... sounds like fun.

Wish I could attend one.

Echo_Four_Bravo
02-10-07, 05:53 PM
Sounds like recruiters are making pool functions much more fun than they used to be. When I went through RSS Oklahoma City most pool functions were simple. We ran the IST, got yelled at for not being better, and then we ran some more. Every few months all of the substations would have a big field meet, which was really just more of the same.

hawks
02-10-07, 08:00 PM
I don't mind the running and pushups and pullups and all that. I just despise doing abs and lunges/squats. But they are necesary and I'll do them till they're easy,then do them some more.

PatriotGirl422
02-10-07, 09:27 PM
Wow you just had your first poolee function of the year? We have ours every weekend. Today we did a PFT (I got a 264. I did the maximum on the flexed arm hang, 153 crunches, and got 26:57 on the run)
Next weekend were going to the Marine Corps Museum at Quantico. We normally do ISTs, formations runs, or go to the gym.

jtestani41
02-10-07, 11:20 PM
i had a pool function today to we did an IST and did some motivated drill...but i found out that we are goin to play some paintball next pool function for the second time so should be pretty fun

jm4magic
02-11-07, 01:17 AM
We had a Senior Drill Instructor come down to our station and "motivate" us if you catch my drift. Also the recruiters took us to camp Penn<st1><st1></st1></st1> to do the ismit, and we watched a graduation in MCRD.

rolive
02-11-07, 08:59 AM
Yeah Oklahoma has had bad weather on most of the weekends this year. So we never got to do the first few.

jtestani41
02-11-07, 11:09 AM
The best pool function we have had, was when we got to go to an armory and take apart the M16 A2 and clean them, and we had races againts Marines who just graduated to see who could put them back together faster

Bullrider
02-11-07, 10:11 PM
I just got back from Celtic Games against North Phoenix. It was the funniest thing ever.

Do you know who the recruiters for North Phoenix were?

kenny256544
02-13-07, 05:40 PM
fun???? bad weather??? that can happen? last poolee function i had my face in a puddle of near freezing water during the rains we had latley

PatriotGirl422
02-13-07, 07:26 PM
Yeah Kenny, I kinda like when the weather's bad during a pool function. I kinda like running through puddles and pushing on the muddy ground. lol

Wolfman07
02-13-07, 07:52 PM
Rain isnt to bad, it the cold that sucks. A couple weeks ago we PT'd when it was like -44 with the wind chill. That was fun though, the moisture in the air froze on our bodys and snot was freezing on our faces. And on top of that we couldnt breath, but I still love pting in the cold makes everything more fun. lol:flag:

kenny256544
02-13-07, 08:09 PM
Oh Yeah? What do you guys do.... ours gets kinda crazy some times... I live in Texas btw so no -44 chill here.

Soon2BeVIP
02-14-07, 08:03 PM
I hate being poor. I'm $500 in debt to my parents for a speeding ticket, a webcam, a cell phone bill that I went over on everything...and then random stuff. So I have no money. Then my parents are like thousands of dollars behind in bills (which I'm ****ed my parents let me know that). So they don't have money to give me. Then SSgt calls me and is like "Saturday we're going indoor paintballing instead...it's $30." So I tell him my deal and he's like "No biggie...I'll pay for you dude...you can just work it off later". Which is awesome...SSgt is the coolest person. It just sucks having to have people pay for me to do sh**. Can't we all go back to being little kids when money didn't exist except for finding pennies on the ground and asking our parent for quarters to buy stuff outside stores. I hate money :p

usmcdawg
02-14-07, 09:26 PM
Having our 2nd poolee function of the year this saturday in the Midland/Odessa TX area. Send a private msg if you would like more info.

kenny256544
02-15-07, 12:34 PM
Looks like i wont be going to functions for some time.... Stupid hand.

ItzAlex
02-20-07, 02:19 PM
Weird, you guys have so much fun activities in your poolee meetings...

Every poolee meeting we have we just do pt, sometimes IST, followed by drill, and then its either football or freetime for the recruiters to do whatever they want with us... Not good, they put on their Drill Instructor faces and "motivate" us. And whats this about the bad weather?? We had to do the runs reguardless. I remember once we did the crawls (forgot the actual name) on the snow covered grass. Afterwards our whole forearm was wet from the snow, couldnt feel our fingers and by the time we ran back to the RSS, the wet sleeves completely froze. Then we spend another half an hour running in place and singing cadence right infront of the RSS and a armory, bashing the army serving as a kind of advertisement because people can hear us from blocks away. My father was at a nearby white castles and he told me he herd us from all the way there.

I want to go to a paintball field or do land navigations.....

Soon2BeVIP
02-20-07, 05:25 PM
In reality we basically only do an IST everytime. This last time was the one time we actually did paintball or something. Usually though we just come in....do our pull-ups...do our sit-ups...run the mile and a half...then have optional football game or something.

PatriotGirl422
02-20-07, 07:42 PM
Weird, you guys have so much fun activities in your poolee meetings...

Every poolee meeting we have we just do pt, sometimes IST, followed by drill, and then its either football or freetime for the recruiters to do whatever they want with us... Not good, they put on their Drill Instructor faces and "motivate" us. And whats this about the bad weather?? We had to do the runs reguardless. I remember once we did the crawls (forgot the actual name) on the snow covered grass. Afterwards our whole forearm was wet from the snow, couldnt feel our fingers and by the time we ran back to the RSS, the wet sleeves completely froze. Then we spend another half an hour running in place and singing cadence right infront of the RSS and a armory, bashing the army serving as a kind of advertisement because people can hear us from blocks away. My father was at a nearby white castles and he told me he herd us from all the way there.

I want to go to a paintball field or do land navigations.....

Don't pretend like you don't love running in the snow and being yelled at by recruiters. Come on, you know you find it motivating.:evilgrin: God knows I love it. I wish they'd PT us a little harder at our poolee meetings.

poolie13
02-21-07, 10:12 PM
I always get yelled at my Poolee functions. I'm the guide at my RSS and when my fellow Poolee's are not doing what there supposed to be then I get yelled at. It's my job to keep them motivated. We have no time for games and fun... not unless you count IST fun every time? Our Pool functions are nothing but hard work. I personaly like it that way! Our RSS rather be prepared for what's coming in the future.

motivatedpoolee
02-22-07, 12:23 AM
Wow, I need to suggest some of these activities to my recruiters!

Last Poolee meeting we had was: A trip to Camp Pendleton.
There we checked out the Airwing, and got to learn alot about the helo's.
From there we headed to the Armory where we got to dissemble and then re-assemble the M16's. The last thing we did was get to eat an MRE.
I had the Spaghetti W/ Meat Sauce Meal, And Holy Christ! That was Delicious...

I'd Like To Go Paintballing though, or do some like survival shiet haha. for example, we go out into some deep forest or some place, and have to figure out how we will live for like 3 days! that'd be fun :)

in my opinion at least

Motorola07
02-22-07, 02:11 AM
When it was about 38 degrees here in Dallas, we had to do bear crawls, reverse bear crawls, think its called the Ladder push-ups, on the hill (WET). Rained the night before, and was sprinkling at the time. The SSgt thought it was fun, he did it with us though. Only thing, the recruiters will do it with us. We dont do it by our selfs. We played football(back in christmas when all the Marine's that either in the reservers or fresh out of boot.) IST, and few others.

They just made me the guide. Our last guide shipped off to boot camp back in Jan or Dec. Havent had to do anthing yet. Havent had the chance.

rolive
02-22-07, 12:15 PM
Wow, I need to suggest some of these activities to my recruiters!

Last Poolee meeting we had was: A trip to Camp Pendleton.
There we checked out the Airwing, and got to learn alot about the helo's.
From there we headed to the Armory where we got to dissemble and then re-assemble the M16's. The last thing we did was get to eat an MRE.
I had the Spaghetti W/ Meat Sauce Meal, And Holy Christ! That was Delicious...

I'd Like To Go Paintballing though, or do some like survival shiet haha. for example, we go out into some deep forest or some place, and have to figure out how we will live for like 3 days! that'd be fun :)

in my opinion at least

I would give up paintball and all of the rest if We got to do that! paintball is fun and what not. But I do not feel like it prepares us for Boot camp.

motivatedpoolee
02-22-07, 01:31 PM
anybody on this board located in temcula, california?

Wolfman07
02-22-07, 05:14 PM
Hey Motorola is 38 degrees cold to you? lol I guess my opinion is far from the norm considering I'm from the frozen tundra of MN. Just messing with you man. Our last PT it was like 30 degrees which is unusually warm so all the snow melted. PT on a soccer field that had become a swamp is great. We were doing push ups, crunches and a bunch of other stuff that just got us soaked and nasty. On the run back we were all covered in mud, great fun.:)