PDA

View Full Version : Marines tackle the chill, ice and intensity of Bridgeport training

thedrifter
02-10-07, 08:23 AM
MARINE CORPS MOUNTAIN WARFARE TRAINING CENTER BRIDGEPORT, Calif.(Feb. 9. 2007) -- Most think of the typical battlefield today as being covered in sand and blazing temperatures, but Marines from 3rd Battalion, 5th Marine Regiment proved their readiness to fight in any clime or place by conducting winter mountain operations training.

The training at the Mountain Warfare Training Center in Bridgeport was broken into three phases lasting from Jan. 9-29 and focused not only on winter warfare but on small unit leadership skills as well.

Phase one of the three-week course centered around acclimatization, classroom instruction and introductions to the gear and equipment Marines would be using out in the field.

"Establishing a solid base of knowledge is crucial for these Marines going out to live on a mountain," said Sgt. Phillip A. Bocks, MWTC instructor. "The main focus is utilizing the same type of training applied in warm weather and using it in the different elements."

After finishing the classroom portion, Marines moved on to a practical application section of the course.

They employed their new knowledge with tactical unit movements.

"We spent a lot of time doing unit patrols through the snow," said Lance Cpl. Benjamin C. Smith, a radio telephone operator with Company L.

"It was tricky enough just walking in the snow shoes, but we had to try and be really quiet while doing it."

The "Darkhorse" Marines were met with temperatures reaching as low as negative 20 degrees the first night out in the field, said Lieutenant Col. James C. McArthur, Battalion Commander.

"It definitely built unit camaraderie, not just to accomplish the tasks, but for trying to stay warm as well," the 39-year-old McArthur said. "The climate out here was definitely like a baptism of fire for the battalion. They embraced the opportunity and excelled in the training."

The course culminated with a final battalion-sized exercise featuring helicopter insertions, live-fire ranges and casualty evacuation patrols.

Each company spent the morning prior to the helicopter lift practicing different techniques for their exits from the helos. The conditions of the landing zone were uncertain so each company rehearsed plans for every type of weather and terrain.

The following day, two CH-47 Chinook helicopters made nine trips to deliver the Marines of 3rd Battalion atop of the mountain.

"It was crazy getting out the back of the helos having snow and ice whipping around stinging my face. All I could think of was to just push as hard as I could and make it to the rally point," said Cpl. Norman L. Burge, radio telephone operator, Headquarters and Service Company. "It was great training though, I mean that's exactly how we'd be inserted in a real world scenario."

After the insertions, each company hiked off to positions where small unit leaders supervised over the construction of tactical bivouac sites.

"Small unit leadership plays a crucial role in scenarios like this. Not only does one have to look over his own equipment, but that of his junior Marines," McArthur said, from Gigharbor, Wash.

On day two of the final exercise, the live fire ranges sparked to life with both combat marksmanship drills and squad rushes.

"This is the first time in many years that a unit has had live fire training during a winter course," McArthur said. "It's extremely important to know how to efficiently neutralize a target in any climate."

Marines of Company I received a special treat on the third day in the form of a Marine-crewed CH-53 helicopter to work in conjunction with them on casevac operations.

"Darkhorse" Marines concluded the final exercise with a march back to the lower base camp.

"This training was a great confidence builder for me, we proved to ourselves and our leaders that we can actually operate in a cold weather combat environment," said Pfc. Jasdep S. Brar, a rifleman with Company K.

The battalion plans to continue to work hard and continue its predeployment training before leaving to join the 31st Marine Expeditionary Unit in early August, according to McArthur.

Ellie