PDA

View Full Version : who has more respect? mustang or a regular officer

ssgttorresfj
02-09-07, 11:53 AM
My question is who would a young Marine, respect more a mustang or a regular officer. I would say the mustang just cause he served as a enlisted marine.

SkilletsUSMC
02-09-07, 12:37 PM
Youre should know this being a SNCO and all...

drumcorpssnare
02-09-07, 12:44 PM
Let's be honest here. Enlisted personnel salute officers because they have to. But....respect?

True respect is earned; not expected. Commissioned officer or "mustang"...
shouldn't make a difference. A truly good leader will be respected, regardless of how they got their rank.
drumcorpssnare:usmc:

rktect3j
02-09-07, 01:45 PM
Generally speaking it would tend towards the mustang but that true respect always comes after you know the officer and his character and ability whether he was prior enlisted or not. Marines just don't give over their true respect until deserved.

I think mustangs have an edge though because they know how to interact with enlisted at the very least.

Quinbo
02-09-07, 02:06 PM
I think age and experience has a lot to do with it. Is your older brother or your younger brother leading you into combat? As far as mustangs go some of my favorite officers were mustangs. Every officer deserves and has earned equal respect regardless of how they got them bars and stars.

FistFu68
02-09-07, 02:13 PM
:evilgrin: LEAD~FOLLOW~OR GET THE HELL~OUTTA THE WAY~OOORAHH :evilgrin:

bobdon
02-09-07, 02:16 PM
DrumCorps..
You hit it right on the head, and well put.
Semper Fi.:thumbup:

10thzodiac
02-09-07, 04:08 PM
My question is who would a young Marine, respect more a mustang or a regular officer. I would say the mustang just cause he served as a enlisted marine.

Only my personal experience, the college boy.

But yet again, I don't like anyone telling me WTF to do.

Had more jobs than fingers and toes to prove it. Finally had to go into my own business so my family and I wouldn't starve !

Best [smartest] move I ever made in my life, retired at 53 http://us.i1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/mesg/tsmileys2/09.gif

ssgtt32
02-09-07, 08:54 PM
It would depend, like it has been said respect has to be earned, it not a given! I have had the pleasure to serve with both Mustangs and Regular officers, some LDO's/WO's forget were they come from and who does the work! But if I had my choice I would go with the Mustang anyday

crate78
02-09-07, 09:17 PM
Interesting question.

I've worked with Second Lieutenants straight out of OCS who totally had their act together. I also had as an OIC a Second Lieutenant who had been a MSgt before being commissioned. He had elevated brownnosing to a level where even the other officers openly despised him, especially a Captain he had gone through boot camp with.

I once served with a couple of Warrant Officers who had been beer drinking buddies of mine before they became WO's. There was a certain line neither of us could cross. I also had as an OIC a mustang Captain who was a total jerk. I had another fantastic mustang Captain for an OIC who had been an enlisted fighter pilot in WWII. He still had a patch on his flight jacket that said "Flying Peons".

I think mustang officers can connect with the troops a bit easier because they've been there and done that, but the bottom line is still the level of respect any officer has earned by his actions and professionalism.

My honest opinion.

crate

yellowwing
02-09-07, 09:22 PM
Thinking back on my time in and Mustangs...Me personally I thought them to be more approachable. Which is not always a good thing when you got 30 to 130,000 Marines to command. Mustang, Regular, USNA, LDO, none of them could do their job without good SNCOs.

6yrforMar
02-09-07, 11:40 PM
My last commanding officer was the best to me and my fellow Marines,he came up thru the ranks.He enlisted right before WW2,served in the Pacific in Recon,Korea & Vietnam.He would do anything to help you out as long as you did your job 110%.I had some others to that were great officers.I still remember them to this day.

cplbrooks
02-10-07, 01:46 AM

In my opinion, mustangs are the best officers. You can always tell the difference too.