PDA

View Full Version : FRED tests corpsmen's combat casualty care

thedrifter
02-09-07, 08:51 AM
CAMP HANSEN, OKINAWA, Japan (Feb. 9, 2007) -- For the first time on Okinawa, a Human Patient Simulator known as FRED (First Responder Emergency Device) was used for basic Tactical Combat Casualty Care concepts training by corpsmen with III Marine Expeditionary Force Jan. 29-Feb. 9.

The simulator is a computer-driven, full-sized mannequin that can convey true-to-life scenarios that change to meet instructors' goals, said Cmdr. Terri A. Kinsey, the Human Patient Simulation Program Director for Navy Medical Manpower Personnel Training and Education Command.

"It's a tool we take to operational forces to give them the opportunity to practice skills that they don't normally get to do," said Kinsey. "It's the most realistic training available, because you can't tell someone to 'lie down and let us put a tube down your throat or stick a needle in your chest.' This simulates the real situation and it forces (corpsmen) to take the skills that they've learned and apply them to a patient."

Since the FRED breathes, has a heartbeat and a pulse and accurately mirrors human responses to such procedures as intravenous medication and catheterization, it is the closest thing to actual patients that the corpsmen have ever worked with, according to Seaman Bryn S. Johnson, a hospitalman with 3rd Medical Battalion, 3rd Marine Logistics Group.

"It was excellent, accurate training," Johnson said. "In previous training we'd have a regular mannequin, pretend to look for life signs, and then look at the instructor and ask 'Do I hear breath sounds?' With this, you can actually hear breathing sounds or see the rise and fall of the chest."

Instructors used a laptop connected to the patient simulator to set up scenarios for the types of injuries the corpsmen might encounter.

"The instructor has control over the scenario. For example, they can change the lung sounds to make it have wheezes or crackles that the students can hear with a regular stethoscope," said Petty Officer 1st Class William E. Sterling, a simulation technician and instructor with the training and evacuation command. "There's no need for instructors to talk through a scenario; the student can just make the assessment."

Using the human simulator also helped corpsmen identify mistakes, said Seaman Apprentice Eddie J. Carman, a hospital apprentice with 3rd Medical Bn.

"When I put tourniquets on regular dummies, I really didn't know how much pressure to apply, but when I had to use a tourniquet on this mannequin, I had to put a lot more force than I would have thought to stop the bleeding," Carman said.

The training with the FRED went better than planned and proved to be a very valuable tool, according to Navy Lt. Scott E. Avery, the training officer for 3rd Medical Battalion. Avery said he hopes for more visits from the Human Patient Simulation Program team or to purchase a similar system for the battalion.

"Based on what I've seen and the response from the participants, it's a valuable asset that we could benefit greatly from," he said.

Ellie