PDA

View Full Version : Conway: Army should shift helo tactics

thedrifter
02-08-07, 03:13 PM
Conway: Army should shift helo tactics

By Kimberly Johnson - Staff writer
Posted : Thursday Feb 8, 2007 14:30:12 EST

The Army may need to retool its helicopter operations in Iraq after a spate of shoot downs in recent weeks, the Corps’ top officer said Thursday.

Three Army helicopters — a UH-60 Blackhawk and two AH-64 Apaches — and an OH-6A Cayuse owned by a private security contractor have been downed by enemy fire since Jan. 20. A Marine CH-46 Sea Knight went down Feb. 7, but U.S. military officials claim that crash was due to mechanical failure.

“We are concerned that the aircraft that the Army has lost in recent weeks represents an intensity of effort that we have not seen in the past,” said Commandant Gen. James Conway, speaking at a Government Executive breakfast meeting. “And the Army may be compelled to adjust its tactics some in terms of avoidance.”

His statement echoed earlier comments made by Army Maj. Gen. William Caldwell, a top military spokesman in Iraq.

“Obviously, based on what we have seen, we are already making adjustments in our tactics and techniques and procedures as to how we employ our helicopters in support of Iraqi security forces and coalition forces,” he said. “We are making those appropriate changes.

Conway addressed this week’s CH-46 crash, saying he did not believe it was shot down.

“We haven’t seen a level of vulnerability for our aircraft based on the things that we’re doing,” he said.

Marine helicopters try to avoid being shot down by flying at 3,000 feet above the range of small arms and anti-aircraft fire, and they fly at night, he said.

Marine aircraft also are outfitted with aircraft survivability equipment that helps protect against surface-to-air missiles, such as the Soviet SA-7.

“We’ve had lots of SA-7s shot at us, and we’re able to defeat that,” Conway said.

However, one troubling trend is the recent emergence of a later generation of short-range anti-aircraft missiles, such as SA-16s and SA-18s, Conway said.

“Saddam had a lot of these, but we’re not sure if they’re coming out of the bunkers,” he said.

Ellie

SkilletsUSMC
02-08-07, 03:22 PM
:thumbup: My company got attached to the 10th mountian for a bit, and all I can say is two thumbs up for the Army apache pilots:thumbup:

Those guys would come down right over our heads to telephone wire alttitude, and waste bad guys. Semper Fi to Marine Air, but I the apache pilots were BAD to the BONE!

SkilletsUSMC
02-09-07, 01:09 PM
Damn...

Looks like the CMC was either misinformed or covering up, but the CH-46 that just went down was MOST DEFINATELY SHOT DOWN:cry: :thumbdown :mad:

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=1ec7d3ccc6

yellowwing
02-09-07, 01:50 PM
Hmmm...maybe they should order up Linebacker III to stop these new weapons, as a sequel to the popular Linebacker II (http://www.afa.org/magazine/nov1997/1197lineback.asp).

FistFu68
02-09-07, 02:49 PM
:evilgrin: YEA 'DEM B-52'S NEED A GOOD-WORKOUT-EVERY NOW AND THEN~CARPET BOMB~THEM SAND RAT'S!!!GIVE OUR BOY'S A TASTE,FROM A GOOD DISTANCE(LOL)OF GOOD-'OLE~SHOCK & AWE!!!!:evilgrin: OOOHRAHH:iwo: