PDA

View Full Version : Machine gunner 0331

GI JOE
02-08-07, 12:40 PM
Hello all I was curiouse about MOS 0331 what are your duties as a machine gunner in the Marine Corps ?

ElDiablo
02-08-07, 12:56 PM
hmmm...I'm not a Marine but I'd say it would involve machine guns...lol...:)

GI JOE
02-08-07, 01:04 PM
Thanks ElDiablo but I needed a little more info :D

Kildars
02-08-07, 01:47 PM
The machine gunner is responsible for the tactical employment of the 7.62mm medium machine gun (http://usmilitary.about.com/library/milinfo/marinefacts/blm60.htm), the 50 cal (http://usmilitary.about.com/library/milinfo/marinefacts/blm2.htm)., and 40mm heavy machine-gun (http://usmilitary.about.com/library/milinfo/marinefacts/blmk19.htm), and their support vehicle. Machine gunners provide direct fire in support of the rifle and LAR squads/platoons/companies and the infantry and LAR battalions. They are located in the weapons platoons of the rifle and LAR companies and the weapons company of the infantry battalion. Noncommissioned officers are assigned as mortar gunners, forward observers, fire direction plotters, and squad and section leaders.

http://usmilitary.about.com/od/enlistedjo2/a/0331.htm

Google is your friend.

thezero
02-08-07, 02:58 PM
Google is your friend.

Only when it gives you the right information with out having to look for 5 min. :p you can also find information about machine gunner responsibilities/ duties on www.Marines.com :usmc:

Kildars
02-08-07, 03:00 PM
Only when it gives you the right information with out having to look for 5 min. :p you can also find information about machine gunner responsibilities/ duties on www.Marines.com (http://www.Marines.com) :usmc:

I just googled "Marine Corps MOS 0331" and that was the first link, it doesnt take long ;) longer to make the post asking the question lol.

thezero
02-08-07, 03:09 PM
And in an attempt to thwart some of the other questions along this subject www.Marines.com is a [B]VERY[[B] good site to look on about Machine Gunners, and other occupations along that line.

Just offering what little help I can give at the moment

SkilletsUSMC
02-08-07, 03:12 PM
Why is it that everyone here thinks you should search for your info instead of just asking? I would rather hear what 0331 was like from a real Machinegunner than the official source.

thezero
02-08-07, 03:24 PM
Why is it that everyone here thinks you should search for your info instead of just asking? I would rather hear what 0331 was like from a real Machinegunner than the official source.

Sorry sir if I tried to make someone research instead of asking I was only trying to give some advice on what they COULD do not what they SHOULD because I also had the same question when I was still wondering if I wanted to be a SAW Gunner and other machine guns operator or be an Infantry Officer and I learned alot from the www.Marines.com which I have already metioned.

Quinbo
02-08-07, 04:49 PM
Machine gunners at the battlion level are also trained in the maintenance and employment of the MK-19. They do not fire morters. All the other stuff you posted also sounded right on the money. Brand new to the fleet machine gunners often do not carry or fire the gun but generally carry extra ammo and an M-16 and act as assistant gunner.

mrbsox
02-08-07, 04:59 PM

...cause (some of us :angel:) CLEAN THEIR CLOCK for taking the easy way, instead of a little effort in research.

From the point of BOOK SMART (after basic research), then digging into the real life of an 0331 with questions.

As an 0341 (81 Mortar), the book doesn't go into digging the 8ft round 2 ft deep gun pit with an e-tool in PACKED CLAY, and hitting bedrock @ 6 inches down.
Or in loose sand or ash (Mt Fuji), and every round down the tube caves in the side walls.
Or ice and snow.

The book will give you the DUTIES, but not the life of a mortar man (machinegunner, assaultman...)

I'm guilty of making them do it Corporal :thumbup:

SkilletsUSMC
02-08-07, 05:24 PM
...cause (some of us :angel:) CLEAN THEIR CLOCK for taking the easy way, instead of a little effort in research.

From the point of BOOK SMART (after basic research), then digging into the real life of an 0331 with questions.

As an 0341 (81 Mortar), the book doesn't go into digging the 8ft round 2 ft deep gun pit with an e-tool in PACKED CLAY, and hitting bedrock @ 6 inches down.
Or in loose sand or ash (Mt Fuji), and every round down the tube caves in the side walls.
Or ice and snow.

The book will give you the DUTIES, but not the life of a mortar man (machinegunner, assaultman...)

I'm guilty of making them do it Corporal :thumbup:

Well If it bothers you, then stop reading the questions. Anybody can look up info, and Im willing to bet most wannabes allready have. I remember feeling like I couldnt get the straight scoop form the official type sources. Its not taking the easy way its the right way. Most of these kids wouldnt know what to make of the info even if it was right in their face. They have never experienced it first hand so it is foriegn and strange. Thats what rules about these forums is that us BTDTs can break it down barney style for them.

My two cents....

Quinbo
02-08-07, 05:59 PM
Shoot skillets I agree to a point.... a poolee is asking questions to try and by-pass the suger coated dry read of wikepedia, and should be answered with a real life experience. The down and dirty version also involves personal boo hoo hoo experiences that may or may not apply. Research on the net + asking questions here is a win win situation. Leaving one or the other out and a lad might only get half the picture.

Reading through this whole thread I noticed one kid interested in the M-249 and started researching 0331..... 0331 generally carry much bigger guns than a SAW. The SAW is a basic infantrymans machine gun, as the M-203 is the basic infantry mortar. You don't need a specific MOS to carry a SAW or an M-203 and reguardless of what MOS you end up with you will be trained on the maintenance and employmet of both along with many other weapons.

SkilletsUSMC
02-08-07, 06:10 PM
Shoot skillets I agree to a point.... a poolee is asking questions to try and by-pass the suger coated dry read of wikepedia, and should be answered with a real life experience. The down and dirty version also involves personal boo hoo hoo experiences that may or may not apply. Research on the net + asking questions here is a win win situation. Leaving one or the other out and a lad might only get half the picture.

Reading through this whole thread I noticed one kid interested in the M-249 and started researching 0331..... 0331 generally carry much bigger guns than a SAW. The SAW is a basic infantrymans machine gun, as the M-203 is the basic infantry mortar. You don't need a specific MOS to carry a SAW or an M-203 and reguardless of what MOS you end up with you will be trained on the maintenance and employmet of both along with many other weapons.

I agree. Were here to pass on knowlege, not chastise an ignorant person for asking questions. I asked about a million questions when I was a boot, and awnsered those same questions when it was my turn. If wikipedia and google had all the awnsers why is this site here?

Quinbo
02-08-07, 06:24 PM
Shoot .... I almost high-jacked another thread. Skillets if we get into a two way conversation that is way off track of the original post I swear to just send you a PM. I had just typed up a long winded response that had nothing to do with the question asked and then realized what I had done and hit the back button. Poolees ask away and me and skillets will keep our conversations out of it.

outlaw3179
02-08-07, 08:03 PM
F*ck google.
Mission of the machine gunner is to assist the advance of a rifle platoon by providing effective fires on target.
A machine gunner is an integral part of a rifle platoon. They can be employed either in an offensive manner or in the defense. During a firefight they can provide over 60% of the firepower being delivered on target.
In an offenive operation their primary mission is to be set up in as a support by fire to help advance the platoon , company or element. In the defense their reponsibilities are to cover avenues of aproach or to connect their weapon systems with interlocking fields of fire effectively creating a wall of lead.
A machine gun team consists of a team leader , a gunner and the ammo man.
The gunner carries the gun and ammo, team leader carries the tripod and ammo, and and the ammo man carries the spare barrel and of course more ammo.
You always want to try to use guns in pairs to provide a steady rate of fire on target , and to conserve ammunition.
Machine guns have priority of fires . Wether that be in the defense or offense. Basically what the means is that if youre an 11 , and youve already dug your fighting hole and that hole provides a better position than another... Get the f*ck out ...
Carrying the pig is an honor . You hump all the gear of an 11 but you alo get to hump more ammo, a heavier gun, and more gear. Your a super grunt. In Iraq the situation different , but the basic premise of the machine gunner remains the same . Provide the most accurate rate of fire , in the fastest most destructive manner possible. The first time you shoot the 240g you will get a hard on. Its a sweet weapon. As a heavy gunner your team will be responible for either the .50 cal or a mk-19 ( 40mm grenade launcher. )
Being a machine gunner is cool . you get to shoot a bad ass weapon and kill alot of s*it.

Google that sh*t.

mrbsox
02-08-07, 09:47 PM
My point Corporal, is to cut down on those that want to be 'spoon fed' what they NEED to know.

Then what do they learn from life; everyone will give me what I need ??

Not all are like that, I agree.
You can't get everything from a book, I agree.
You also can't get everything from a thread post.

Maybe i'm just hoping "GIJOE" would have asked;
"I've been researching the 0331 MOS and have a few questions about the day to day duties"

Maybe it's the teacher in me. I'd bust my a$$ to help the ones that WANT it, but the lazy Fk that won't study, do his homework.... Fk em.

Quinbo
02-08-07, 10:35 PM
Great post Outlaw.... guns in pairs not only keeps the bullets going out bound from different directions but also keeps them hogs from overheating and melting down.... thus the talking guns ;)

Old Marine
02-09-07, 08:50 AM
We used to make Machine Gunners out of non-quals at the rifle range. Don't they do that anymore?

outlaw3179
02-09-07, 09:30 AM
nope theirs a new test out there. They only the baddest mofos out of the 11's :) .

outlaw3179
02-09-07, 09:34 AM
Seriously though, the 240G is an extremly accurate weapon. Because of the Traversing and Elevation mechanism and also the flex mount, you can locate a target and with good shoulder pressure , you can continously light it up. Truth be told , most 11's cant properly fire a 240 during qual because theyre not use to the 7 to 8 round burst and they dont have proper shoulder pressure. Most of the time theyll milk the trigger and because the weapons kicking their rounds will be all over the place.

ElDiablo
02-09-07, 10:25 AM
Thanks ElDiablo but I needed a little more info :D

Anytime...:)

GI JOE
02-09-07, 08:40 PM
outlaw3179 thank you for the great response by the way my MOS is going to be 0331 Machine Gunner I ship Monday 20070212 wish me luck :D

Dont know if it matters but im going reserve

outlaw3179
02-09-07, 11:02 PM
Damn , good luck kid. Semper Fi.

hmckinley
02-10-07, 06:19 AM
This is a good site for information. Too bad all I had was a guide book to study while in the six month delay program. Only marine I was accociated with was the recruiter, untill I hit the yellow foot prints at Parris Island. So, mom and dad's, wana be's, already a be----remember the dumb question is the one not asked. Survival in this war on terror is knowing your diaper head and the way's to make him a marter, or ever how the word is spelled. I always wanted to be one for my grandkids, don't have to have one of them push the red button on me, for I'm already one of them things in their eye's.