PDA

View Full Version : Proud To Be A MARINE

JAMarine
02-11-03, 08:36 PM
I'm mostly a part of the quiet few around here but I want to share something that happened to me today.

On the way to work this afternoon I stopped into a Quizno's Sandwich Shop to get something to take to work. As I stood in line to pay after giving my order a man (about 35 or so) standing in front of me turned around and said this;

Man - You a Marine ugh?
Me - Yes
Man - I saw your hat. You going to have to go over and fight?
Me - No Sir, I have turned that duty over to the men and women younger than me. I'm getting a little to old.
Man - Well, I just want to say Thank You (as he held out his hand).
Me - Thank me for what?
Man - For what ever you did. I don't know what it was but I didn't go into the service. But because of men like you, me and my wife and kids have freedom today. Thank You.

And ya know something Brothers and Sisters, I have never felt as big and strong and proud as I did this afternoon.

As this man shook my hand again a woman setting accross the isle from the line stood up and walked over to me. She said; "I was listening to your conversation. I lost my 1st husband in Vietnam. Thank You Marine. We are proud of you all.

Well you all can just about understand the tear that started to well. I reached out for this lady and gave her a hug and said; "No Ma'am. We are proud of you and your husband and the men like him".

At that time there were 4 tables of patrons in that SubShop. And I do believe someone from each table came over and shook my hand with statements like; "Thank You", "Thank You for serving this Country" and "God Bless you son and all like you".

Don't tell me there is no Pride in this Great Country

From a little hole-in-the-wall SubShop in the NorthWest, I saw American Pride Today.

Thanks for reading. I am still Proud to claim the title of Marine. Today, I was Really Proud.

God Bless
&
God Bless our Brothers and Sisters .

OK, I'll be quiet now.

lurchenstein
02-11-03, 09:03 PM
Amen!

greensideout
02-11-03, 09:22 PM
Thank you for sharing that.

We all enjoy hearing that America appreciates it's freedoms that have been given by people like you.

Freedom is given and retained with the blood and tears of its servicemen. It's a joy to all of us that served when the American people see and recognize that sacrifice.

It gives us all hope in Amercia when something like this happens.

Semper Fi

thedrifter
02-11-03, 09:24 PM
Very good post JAMarine, you made us all feel a little more Prouder, a little Taller and very Proud to be a United States Marine.

Sempers,

Roger

wrbones
02-11-03, 11:00 PM
Thanks Rich.

I don't know why some of you guys keep tryin' to make me cry.....

Semper Fidelis, buddie.

What you got was a welcome home!

CAS3
02-12-03, 06:50 AM
Man JAMarine, you made me cry...

I had a similar situation at a parade at 8th and I.
I was surrounded by old Marines and their families and we all started shaking each others hands, introducing ourselves. One woman came up to me and said thank you ....it surprised me. I welled up with a lump in my throat and have never been happier and more proud of being a MARINE.
NOW AND ALWAYS
SEMPER FI

mrbsox
02-12-03, 07:53 AM
All the above... sentiments, thoughts and Prayers.
Oh yeah.... and the tears.

God Bless America, and her MARINE CORPS.

See ya'll in May :marine:

Terry

Rob Parry
02-12-03, 09:48 AM
Same thing over here, you can tell a Marine, anywhere. There's something different about our attitude, and appearance. Pride.

leroy8541
02-12-03, 08:18 PM
amen bro.

fishon
03-14-03, 07:12 AM
Nice story JMARINE. It also brought a lump in my heart. We R Proud of U Sis.for letting us share the story with U. LOL God Bless U.
Semper Fi

SheWolf
03-14-03, 07:26 AM
Gee,, I'm not even a Marine, but it brought tears to my eyes!! I remember when my brother came home from 'Nam,,, he was so different and I was only about 10 or 11,, didn't understand why he was so different,, and why he wouldn't talk about it.....
Now, many years later, I understand a little of what he went through, and he has finally been able to talk about it some,,,,
guess he was waiting for me to grow up to tell me about it,,,,(and no, he wasn't a Marine either,, he was in the Army)

SgtBigK
03-14-03, 07:34 AM
JAMarine, I ain't trying to steal your thunder but, I had a simular situation in a pizza shop in Mayslanding NJ. I was in line ordering and I had my Marine shirt on. It is scarlet and has gold lettering that says "The Few The Proud THE MARINES. The man behind the counter said Hey, Marine, Thank you for your service."
I said "Oh, I've been out a long time I was in in the early 70's" He said "well, thank you for that." My son, (he's 25) was impressed.
With chest swelled, I told him "what that man said, makes it all worth the struggles I had when I was in.

wrbones
03-14-03, 07:37 AM
The first time I heard someone say 'Welcome Home.' I heard on this board. I never heard anything like that even from my family.

firstsgtmike
03-14-03, 09:33 AM
Bones,

"Welcome Home" is a Marine thing. "Thank You" is the best you can get from a civilian.

When you hear a "Welcome Home", the proper response is "Semper Fi" because you're talking to a fellow Marine.

I've been out of the pipeline for too long. I don't even get a "Thank You". But I sleep easy at night, because I KNOW.

Mike Farrell
Cagayan de Oro
Philippines