PDA

View Full Version : Marines show pupils what they ride in, eat

thedrifter
02-07-07, 07:22 AM
Marines show pupils what they ride in, eat
By Jaime North
The Daily Item
February 07, 2007

MILTON — Vadima Karpeshov had a difficult decision to make during science class recently: Whether to hop in a soft-top humvee or climb aboard a seven-ton troop carrier.

The 14-year-old Milton Middle School pupil chose the troop carrier but soon jetted over to the humvee.

"This is awesome," said Vadima, who was among a group of youths visited by a Marine Corps detachment unit from Wyoming, Pa. "I can't believe they get to work on such cool stuff. Wow, I wish we had this every day."

The annual visit occurs because Jim Hostetter, an eighth-grade science teacher at Milton, enjoys having pupils broaden their perspectives as they learn. The Marines visited his two science classes to discuss a few routine activities for soldiers, such as eating a MRE (meal ready to eat), donning protective gas masks and exploring the nuts and bolts of two commonly used vehicles.

"Hands-on learning motivates the students," Mr. Hostetter said. "I love to get eighth-graders thinking."

The presentation was anchored around the science class' study of endothermic and exothermic chemical reactions. The flameless ration heater found in the MRE is a real-life example of an exothermic reaction, according to Sgt. James Adams, one of six Marines visiting the school.

"These meals are high in protein and high in (carbohydrates)," Sgt. Adams said. "That's so when you're in the field and on the run, you have the energy to keep up and stay ready. This is not meant to be a full-course meal."

The pupils scattered into small groups and inspected the MREs. They even got a chance to see the flameless heater in action and taste a few of the MRE offerings.

"I don't know if I could eat too many of these, but they're cool though," said Richard Ayala, 13. "I'm impressed that the MREs got Chicklets. That's awesome."

Others were hesitant in tasting too much.

"Man, these things got a lot in them," said Kyle Biddinger, 14. "I'm not too sure how much of this is good."

Outside, both vehicles were filled with pupils. Some sat behind the driver's seat. Others climbed in the back, and many were unable to fight the temptation of climbing up the troop carrier for a peek out of its turret.

"Wow, you can see everything from up there," said Ryan Batman, 13, who was among many to try on a Kevlar helmet and bulletproof vest. "This stuff is real neat. It makes you think what it's like over there (Iraq and Afghanistan). I know it's not as fun as it is here."

For information on the Milton Area School District, visit www.milton.k12.pa.us.

E-mail comments to jnorth@dailyitem.com.