PDA

View Full Version : Pre-dawn fitness program gaining popularity

thedrifter
02-07-07, 06:45 AM
Pre-dawn fitness program gaining popularity

By: NICOLE SACK - Staff Writer

TEMECULA -- With the clock about to strike 5:30 a.m., a pale yellow ball of light glows in the morning sky -- it's the moon.

In the darkness of predawn, cars begin to collect in the parking lot of the Harveston Community Park. Eight cars for eight women. The group comes together under the dimly lit pavilion with sparse conversation.

The houses around them are filled with still-sleeping occupants. But within a few moments, a tiny gray boom-box sits on the ground. The power is turned on and then -- BAM! It's workout time.

Yes, it is cold. Yes, it is dark. Yes, it is very early. But don't feel bad for these mothers, wives and working women -- this is what they signed up for.

The Temecula Adventure Boot Camp for Women has gained momentum in the 2 1/2 years since the program's inception. The four-week course, which meets five days a week, is led by personal trainer Amy Bradley of Murrieta.

Bradley, a 5-foot-3-inch ball of lean muscle, doesn't bark orders like a drill sergeant. Instead, she coaches her ladies to stretch, to run, to work on their core muscles, to lift light weights and to maneuver through agility ladders.

A little motivation goes a long way. If one of her students sits down or doesn't complete an exercise, that's OK -- but she owes Bradley push-ups at the end of the session.

"My main goal for them is to lower their body fat percentage, because that is something that will get them in a healthier place. Besides slimming down, I want them to build muscle," Bradley said. "And to learn that working out can be fun."

Bradley has been conducting the classes since she and her husband moved to Temecula from Orange County nearly three years ago. It was in Orange County that Bradley trained with renowned fitness professional Dr. John Spencer Ellis, who created the Adventure Boot Camp program.

"When I first started, I used to bring my notes to the classes," said Bradley, who is licensed with the National Exercise Sports & Training Association. "Now, I am comfortable with the way I lead them. It's just natural."

During the class, she breaks from her calm demeanor to let out an occasional "woo-hoo!" to motivate her crew. While she watches over the entire group, she also focuses on each individual to ensure they are performing each exercise correctly. Then she makes them run.

"OK, grab a quick drink, take a couple of deep breaths and pick up your weights," Bradley instructs the group during the nonstop morning workout.

Her students comply.

For most of the women, having someone oversee their progress is a tremendous benefit of the boot camp workout.

"I like having someone to keep me focused," Delores Sanchez Badillo of Murrieta said. "I have two boys who are involved with sports and I always liked their drills. And when I would see Marines doing boot camp training on television, I always thought it was something I wanted to do."

Sanchez Badillo said she enjoys the camaraderie among the women in her class. She added the program is working for her and is something she has embraced as part of her daily routine.

"I signed up not because I had a 'get-in-shape-for-summer' goal, but because I had a 'rest-of-my-life' goal for fitness," Sanchez Badillo said.

Jennifer Sackey of Temecula hasn't missed one day of the boot camp since her session began Jan. 22, despite the freezing early morning temperatures and a sore leg.

"We survived the hard part," Sackey said on the second week of the program. "I like this boot camp. There are things that we do that I don't enjoy, like running; but my main goal is to get in overall better shape."

The early morning workout covers the spectrum of activities and ends with mat exercises, which wind down into cool-down stretches. As the hour comes to an end, a different ball of light illuminates the eastern sky. The sun is just now coming up over Temecula, but these women have already conquered another day of boot camp.

Bradley, on the other hand, will sneak in her own workout before leading another class at 9 a.m.

For information on the Temecula Adventure Boot Camp for Women or for schedule information, call (951) 265-3145 or visit www.TemeculaBootCamp.com.

-- Contact staff writer Nicole Sack at (951) 676-4315, Ext. 2616, or nsack@californian.com.

Ellie