PDA

View Full Version : Connecticut Woman Ordered to Remove U.S. Flag From Condo

3077India
02-06-07, 09:50 PM
Connecticut Woman Ordered to Remove U.S. Flag From Condo (http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,250541,00.html) <--(Click for Source Location)

Tuesday, February 06, 2007

By Sara Bonisteel

EAST WINDSOR, Conn. — Her son is fighting the in Afghanistan, but one Connecticut mother is waging a war of her own over her right to fly Old Glory on her front lawn.

Teresa Richard's condo association in this community north of Hartford wants an American flag and a Blue Star Mothers of America flag removed from her front lawn, along with the flagpole upon which they hang.

Richard raised the flags last year to honor her son, Cpl. Tony Donihee, now serving in Afghanistan with the Connecticut National Guard.

"If you want to fly the American flag, you should be able to fly it almost any place, any time," Warren Wenz, the chairman of the East Windsor Veterans Commission, told FOXNews.com. "If your son is in the service, what is the problem with flying an American flag and a mother's flag? I don't see why that should be a problem with anyone."

Wenz wrote a letter to the Stoughton Ridge Condominium Association last week on Richard's behalf.

Last summer, Richard received a letter from the condo manager asking her to "kindly remove" her American flag, that of the Blue Star Mothers of America and the flagpole, or face a fine, according to the Manchester Journal Inquirer.

"I don't feel like I should be subject to a fine or anything else," Richard told the Journal Inquirer last year. "It's not hurting anyone."

The condo board told her the flags would be tolerated for until Labor Day, after which she would be fined $25 a day, Richard said.

Another resident, Gene Doering, has been flying his flag on a 13-foot pole in the condominium complex for five years.

"They wrote me a letter and said they wanted me to take the flag down," Doering told FOXNews.com. "Well, I refused to take the flag down."
The former National Guardsman hired a lawyer instead and after three months of pestering, the association let him be, Doering said.

"It's kind of small for the association to waste so much time doing something like that," Doering said. "There's only 60 condominiums here; it's not like it's a huge group.

"You would think people could get along a little better," he continued. "I always say the association should have better things to do than pick on somebody that's put a flag up."

Calls to the condominium manager and the association president were not returned Tuesday.

D*** Anti-Americanism --- by Americans! :mad:

IamaMarine
02-07-07, 05:31 AM
That makes my Blood Boil.

That town is close to me I will join her fight.

For Those Who Fought For It Freedom Has A Flavor the Protected Will Never Know.

American by Birth,
Marine by Choice.

FistFu68
02-07-07, 05:50 AM
:iwo: WHERE THE STAR'S AND STRIPE'S AND THE EAGLE FLY'S :iwo:

rb1651
02-07-07, 11:53 AM
That makes my Blood Boil.

That town is close to me I will join her fight.

Since you're close by, how about doing some recon for us and get the address, phone number, or web site for this association so that we can let them know how we feel about their request to remove the flags? :mad:

HardJedi
02-07-07, 01:10 PM
exactly. some info on these people, if you can get it, would be much appriciated.

outlaw3179
02-07-07, 02:44 PM
What a bunch of fuc*ers.

maverickmarine
02-09-07, 07:33 AM
I don't even know where to begin with that ****. Let my freakin' homeowners association ask me to pull my flags down. I have both the Marine Corps Flag and Old Glory flying high.

bigdog43701
02-09-07, 08:08 AM
i'm a deputy in ohio. i wear an American Flag above my badge on my left pocket. a couple of years ago my chief deputy told me i was out of uniform and to take the flag off. my responce was if you want it off YOU take it off...but be prepared for what happens...my sheriff sided with me.

maverickmarine
02-09-07, 10:42 AM
There's another one they can just stand the hell by for. I wear a pin on my uniform, in the same location, of the Marine Corps and American Flags crossing and have been doing so for several years so I doubt anything will ever come up at this point.

ggyoung
02-09-07, 11:42 AM
It is about time that our goverment steaps in and take care of our flqg. That should be in the 1st amendment as free speach and is protected by the 2ed admendment.

YLDNDN6
02-09-07, 11:51 AM
It will never happen. That would require some politician to set a precedent, as no one else has ever effectively stepped up on behalf of the flag. So long as our government molly coddles the special interest groups and whiny ass hippie college kids, everything that we hold sacred will come under attack, and those peoples' right to attack them will come under protection that already exists. Freakin' amazing!

ggyoung
02-09-07, 01:01 PM
YLDNDN6 Every year Sen. Hatch from Utah trys to pass a bill just like that. Every year it is voted down.