PDA

View Full Version : Problems with friends

POOLEE-REYNOLDS
02-06-07, 09:29 PM
<TABLE id=HB_Mail_Container height="100%" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0 UNSELECTABLE="on"><TBODY><TR height="100%" UNSELECTABLE="on" width="100%"><TD id=HB_Focus_Element vAlign=top width="100%" background="" height=250 UNSELECTABLE="off">I have been in the dep for a good time now and everyone knows I am joining the marines because who wouldnt tell there friends, but I get them buttheads all the time telling me I am going to die and crap. I just shake it off and tell them well I will be fighting for you to drink and go to school on there mom and dads money. Just asking if anyone ealse has this problem in the dep and how you handle it without beating a kids face in when its the last straw? POOLEE REYNOLDS:flag: </TD></TR><TR UNSELECTABLE="on" hb_tag="1"><TD style="FONT-SIZE: 1pt" height=1 UNSELECTABLE="on">
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

yellowwing
02-06-07, 09:37 PM
Tell them what Curly said to Billy Crystal in City Slickers: :D

I Crap Bigger Than You!

Soon2BeVIP
02-06-07, 09:42 PM
Ya I get it all the time...almost all days someone will say something. I get it double too because I'm gonna be a pogue. So some people are like..."You joined the USMC and you are doing the p***iest job"...and then others are like "You know that there is no way you're going in supply/administration/accounting....they are going to put you infantry...they are so desperate for people"....then I get the classic "You're gonna die". It's dumb. Basically I don't care anymore...I do one liners and walk off. To the joining the USMC and getting the p***iest job one I was like "Actually I want to be an accountant...why not be the most bada$$ accountant aliVe...a fricken USMC accountant"...that one made me laugh as I walked off. After a while it stopped getting to me at all. Mostly I don't eVen say anything back anymore. It takes to much time to argue ignorant people.

Hectic
02-06-07, 09:46 PM
My friends were really ****ed at me when I first told them, but now it's just more of they are really going to miss me. If they are your true friends they will support your decision, and not try and change you.

semperfiman
02-06-07, 10:11 PM
go see them after boot in your new Blues

JIPeterson
02-06-07, 10:16 PM
I get it all the time man, just keep on fighting the good fight. It isn't the "you're going to die" stuff that gets me. It's my friends who are trying to get me thrown out by offering me drugs and other no-no's that were specified at MEPS. I wanna kick all their ***es but then it would make the USMC look bad. I feel your pain and I can't wait to see them in 5 years and tell them were I've been, what I've done and see how they stack up.

Christ0ph
02-06-07, 10:28 PM
go see them after boot in your new Blues

Oh man, if I graduate, I plan on visiting my former employer and loser friends in said attire

:D

I too got the "How does it feel knowing you just signed your death certificate?" attitude from "friends". It doesn't bother me because I know I am doing something exciting with my life, while they sit on their ass at home smoking pot.

JIPeterson
02-06-07, 10:31 PM
"It doesn't bother me because I know I am doing something exciting with my life, while they sit on their ass at home smoking pot."

Took the words right out of my mouth.

rolive
02-06-07, 10:38 PM
My brother stopped talking to me because I am Joining. Needless to say, that kind of wasn't cool. But it really did not make me question for a second what I am doing. I also recieved a lot of "You are gonna be killed in Iraq." from friends. Then again, I could also die driving on my motorcycle on a Friday night when a drunk driver doesn't check their mirrors on a merge. I am commited to what I am doing. Plain and simple

profoak
02-06-07, 10:40 PM
I've been talking to my local recruiter and I'm pretty close to signing my papers and getting in the DEP. I haven't even told any of my friends that I'm going to join and I'm definetly not looking foward to the remarks.

jinelson
02-06-07, 11:11 PM
You pups do me a favor and tell your so called friends what President Ronald Reagan said about Marines;

"Some people spend an entire LIFETIME wondering if they made a DIFFERENCE. The MARINES don't have that Problem."

President Ronald Reagan 1985

Then tell them to kiss your ass!

Jim

PatriotGirl422
02-06-07, 11:14 PM
I can relate to all those who have gotten negative remarks from "friends" about joining the Marines. The truth of it is that they are just either too ignorant to realize the amazing positive inpact that the Corps has on an individual or they are plain jealous that they aren't doing something meaningful with their lives. I have people all the time tell me "You know you could die, right?" People just open their mouths without thinking. It's immaturity at its worst.

Motorola07
02-06-07, 11:42 PM
I get it all the time bro, just turn your back to them...

Love this line... "you are going to get shot"

Or " You are not getting a BONUS, why join the Marines? Join the army get some real money"

"Ill still be able to kick your ass"

One today i got was, "Why do you have to be a pussy and join the Marines?"

I dont even say a word, i usually turn and walk away, that or shake my head.

Robertsjay
02-06-07, 11:44 PM
I always get "Why are you joiningg the Marine Corps ?" smarta** question. I just reply "Why not." and if they really make me mad then I'll add "What the he*l have you ever done ?" Shuts them up every time.

SkilletsUSMC
02-07-07, 12:23 AM
As long as you realize that you may indeed be killed, you guys are right on... I dont want to pee in your cornflakes, but dont think that they are completely wrong. That being said, just tell them that youre not a pussy, and you arent afraid of some guy with a diper on his head and you should be good.

hawks
02-07-07, 12:50 AM
I think it boils down to who really are your true friends that will support you no matter what.

Phantom Blooper
02-07-07, 04:52 AM
Then tell them to kiss your ass!

Then F*#k Em'! :evilgrin:

With friends like that one does not need enemies!

DWG
02-07-07, 06:48 AM
As far as people saying "you're going to die", the answer is "we are ALL going to die someday, it's the manner in which we live our lives that counts."

Now if they want to spend a good part of their lives asking folks "want fries with that?":( that's their choice.

You have chosen a different path. Good luck to all of you!

:evilgrin: :thumbup:

rktect3j
02-07-07, 07:26 AM
Some people were born with character, some had to work hard to achieve it and others will never have it. Those who will never have it make sure that others around them with it or who are trying to get it will be kept from finding it. The only way they can be better then you is to make sure you are worse then they are.

It's like a drowning victim. You go out to save them and when you get to them they pull you under with them.

Don't let people drag you under.

davecerami275
02-07-07, 07:48 AM
i heard the same $hite my entire senior year in high school.

during recruit training when i thought i had no more to give, i just reminded myself that if i failed i would be going home with a bald head and no uniform and would have to fsce my "friends." knowing this kept me super motivated. when you go home in uniform you dont have to say a fa(king thing.

btw: all my high school "friends" are either dead, in prison, on parole/probation, or married to some 250 lb crack-headed ho

thezero
02-07-07, 09:05 AM
Wowa alot of you guys aare getting bad responses for joining/ or wanting to join the Corps personally I have only haad 2 or 3 people say that "I was going to die" or "You know that you can die over in Iraq" other than that most of my class mates are like thats cool, and when ever some one mentions something or shows something about the Marines the whole class turns and looks at me. The theres a couple girls that are pretty supportive :D

Marine84
02-07-07, 10:04 AM
I got one up on all of you! My friends told me that the Corps would make a man out of me................look at my pics..................do I look like a man? I don't think so.

ElDiablo
02-07-07, 10:33 AM
TheZero has it right...our school is alrite but there are a few people who are like "dude, you know that you not gonna live too long over there" and "Marines are for pussies...(which is definetly not true)" and **** like that...most of the time I just ignore it...

LDO Capt
02-07-07, 10:36 AM
Who needs friends when you will have an entire Corps of brothers and sisters!

OHHHRAAAAAH

DWG
02-07-07, 11:30 AM
I got one up on all of you! My friends told me that the Corps would make a man out of me................look at my pics..................do I look like a man? I don't think so.

So? It wore off, that's all! :D :banana: :banana:

CrosshairX
02-07-07, 11:50 AM
Yea some of my friends say things to me like “you could die” and “the Marines lied too you” and are going to “brain wash you”. I know they worry because we did lose a friend on Feb 5, 2007 to an RPG over in <st1:country-region w:st="on"><st1>Iraq</st1></st1:country-region>. Also I am going into infantry and that will take me right to the front lines. I also get “I will still kick your ass when you get back” and they say that I will still be weak. But this is not going to change my mind. I want this because I know it will be the best thing to ever happen too me. I can’t wait to get back from boot camp and kick three of my friends’ asses at one time.

Marine84
02-07-07, 12:13 PM
So? It wore off, that's all!

you so retarded dw ;)

cplbrooks
02-07-07, 12:19 PM
<TABLE id=HB_Mail_Container height="100%" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0 UNSELECTABLE="on"><TBODY><TR height="100%" UNSELECTABLE="on" width="100%"><TD id=HB_Focus_Element vAlign=top width="100%" background="" height=250 UNSELECTABLE="off">I have been in the dep for a good time now and everyone knows I am joining the marines because who wouldnt tell there friends, but I get them buttheads all the time telling me I am going to die and crap. I just shake it off and tell them well I will be fighting for you to drink and go to school on there mom and dads money. Just asking if anyone ealse has this problem in the dep and how you handle it without beating a kids face in when its the last straw? POOLEE REYNOLDS:flag:

Reynolds, If you think that is bad you should see what the parents say. I recently had a mom tell her son that she would kill herself if he joined. He was at the hotel the night before meps when she called him and told him this. He bought it and didnt join. I think he should have called her on it and told her to go ahead and do it. Emotional blackmail and manipulation by the parents is the worst.

When a person your own age tells you the kind of crap that you are talking about just look at it as they are shamed because you are doing something that they lacked the courage to do so they say the stupid crap that they do to feel better about themselves. I see it every day.

</TD></TR><TR UNSELECTABLE="on" hb_tag="1"><TD style="FONT-SIZE: 1pt" height=1 UNSELECTABLE="on">

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

davecerami275
02-07-07, 12:28 PM

no comment

i am just going to sit here quietley and drink a beer with D.W.

DWG
02-07-07, 12:40 PM
no comment

COWARD!
:beer:
If she gets me she'll get everyone near me, too!
:beer: :D

Allen870922
02-07-07, 06:26 PM
My senior year my friends said basically the same thing to me on a daily basis as a sort of joke. I went along with it for a while until I told them it was starting to **** me off and told them to shut the hell up about it before I kick their asses. They stopped and we didn't have a problem anymore.

Marine84
02-07-07, 06:57 PM
no comment

wuss

TheBiggness
02-07-07, 07:22 PM
Hey man I catch the same crap from my freinds. They tell me I'm "gonna get screwed by Uncle Sam" and they tell me i'll get shot. Well I laughed at them and said all that means is i got to pull the trigger before the enemy does.

I'm not afraid to die BUT I'm afraid of my mom finding me and kicking my ass if i do die!:scared:

AlexRT
02-07-07, 07:59 PM
I think I would rather die in the Marine Corps anyway...not in some dirty nursing home somewhere......No offense if any of you guys have died in a nursing home. :bunny:

The1stSgt
02-07-07, 08:02 PM
Poolee's, <br />
<br />
Your decision to try and attain the title Marine, and thereby enter the ranks of the greatest fighting organization on earth, the United States Marine Corps, is a noble choice. Earning...

DWG
02-07-07, 08:51 PM
When I went in in 68 I don't think I told over 4 people, outside of my family. I did put in my HS year book that I would be attending the University of South Carolina at Parris Island, but not many got that. The girl I was dating only heard about it the day before I left, when someone on the beach said something about me not going to be around that weekend. Ain't really nobody elses' business in the long run. Live your life for you, not other people!
:usmc: SF

SmokeyBandit
02-08-07, 02:42 PM
Tell em you'll be attending the University of Science, Music, and Culture- U.S.M.C.

thezero
02-08-07, 02:52 PM
Very inspirational and very true

thezero
02-08-07, 03:18 PM
Yea some of my friends say things to me like “the Marines lied too you”

If your friends said the the Marines lied to you then they never met any Maarine recruiter and compared them to another branches recruiter. The Marine Corps recruiters are the most honest ones I or any one in my immediate family have met, and my parents (My mom knows alot when the recruiter lied about availible occupations then my dad 2 year recruiter for the Corps helped them with there contracts) should know because they helped my brother (Army) and 3 or 4 of my older friends and a cousin (They joined the Air Force) to join the Military when they had problems with there recruiters

SamJohnston
02-08-07, 03:29 PM
People give me sh*t about wanting to join the Marines all the time. Except I don't get it from my friends, I get it from my guidance counselor ( god I hate that man ).

POOLEE-REYNOLDS
02-08-07, 04:36 PM
Thanks for all the help, I knew I wasnt the only one. Everytime I work out and run i really do think of one kid at lunch one day he dropped out now he said "your just going to turn in to a robot that kills then they kill you off you wont be anything" and ever time i work out I think of that. I pass my ist's everytime I have one cause of that kid now. I just cant wait to go and drive myself to graduation so I can come back and not say anything and they will know what they did wrong. Thanks guys keep the comments coming and info. POOLEE REYNOLDS

kenny256544
02-13-07, 05:44 PM
people are always telling me they are going to brain wash me.... but it cant be brain wash if i want it to happen.. most of them are idiots any way

Zulu 36
02-13-07, 06:03 PM
Y'know something funny about those "friends," I never had contact with any of my high school friends after Vietnam except the one guy who tried to enlist on the buddy program with me. He was rejected because of having juvenile asthma.

We remain friends to this day 41 years on (we partnered up in 6th grade, 1966). He remained the only friend who understood what and why I joined. Plus I respect him becaused at least he tried to be a Marine and only failed due to circumstances beyond his control, more than the others did.

Funny thing - he went on to be a paramedic, EMT instructor, high-angle rescue instructor, and owned a big machine shop. All with nary a single asthma attack. The Corps lost a good Marine when they turned him down.

So, who cares about those other idiots and what they think. They'll just flip burgers or be factory rats for the rest of their lives without having dared greatly.

OnceNothing
02-13-07, 10:12 PM
yeah, i get the whole you signing you life away, they'll put you in infantry regardless of your job.

thats when i tell them the surprise, that i already am joining infantry, on my own free will. that usually ****es them off, so they get back into their soccermom vans with the "i support the troops" magnet left on the bumper, because they forgot about to take it off because it wasn't stylish anymore.

my friends support me, even my rebel, mohawked, ****-the-world, anti-conformist friend.

infantry platoon commander is the most vied for position in the officer world of the Marine Corps. You have to be in the top 4% of your TBS class to get in.

when people tell you these type of things. take comfort in knowing that soon you will be more disciplined, more self-confident, and better presenting of your self. and the fact that while their in college spending mommy and daddys money on booze and getting a beer belly, or working some dead end job, you will be doing something important with you life, and doing something out of the ordinary

damn that sounded like a recruiting commercial

OnceNothing
02-13-07, 10:19 PM
yeah and school guidance counselors are a piece of ****
if your going to college, you have done the right thing
if you join the military your wasting your life

my guidance counselor gave up on me, after trying to persuade me from join
she asked me what i wanted to do in life,
JOIN THE MARINES
"thats not the issue, what are you interests"
JOINING THE MARINES
"don't be a smart ass"
JOIN THE MAR- o wait you weren't askin me a question were you
"you can go back to class now

JIPeterson
02-14-07, 07:30 AM
yeah and school guidance counselors are a piece of ****
if your going to college, you have done the right thing
if you join the military your wasting your life

my guidance counselor gave up on me, after trying to persuade me from join
she asked me what i wanted to do in life,
JOIN THE MARINES
"thats not the issue, what are you interests"
JOINING THE MARINES
"don't be a smart ass"
JOIN THE MAR- o wait you weren't askin me a question were you
"you can go back to class now

LOL, our counselors must be best friends because that's exactly how mine acted/acts. I had all the tools to get into a fine school but "I sold myself short by joining the military." I also never thought I would hear a school official say, "I'm very ashamed of you, you could have been anything but a Marine." I just keep walking.

JWG
02-14-07, 10:32 AM
POOLEE-REYNOLDS:

I know I'm pretty late in responding to you're original post (and have not read the responses).. but I would just like to give you a peice of advice.

In WHATEVER you do.. never worry about what others think. The only people you need to worry about what they think are FAMILY.

You can be a Democrat, Republican, Independent, whatever else race, color, social class, or political party you may choose.. but when it comes down to it, you have you're FAMILY. You do what you have to do for them, and nothing else matters.

Everyone else, can go to Hell if they stand in the way of you and your Family.

Good luck in your decision, do what's best for you.. and you got it.. your family.

Sincerely,

J.W.G

<table id="HB_Mail_Container" unselectable="on" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" height="100%" width="100%"><tbody><tr unselectable="on" width="100%" height="100%"><td id="HB_Focus_Element" unselectable="off" background="" height="250" valign="top" width="100%">I have been in the dep for a good time now and everyone knows I am joining the marines because who wouldnt tell there friends, but I get them buttheads all the time telling me I am going to die and crap. I just shake it off and tell them well I will be fighting for you to drink and go to school on there mom and dads money. Just asking if anyone ealse has this problem in the dep and how you handle it without beating a kids face in when its the last straw? POOLEE REYNOLDS:flag: </td></tr><tr unselectable="on" hb_tag="1"><td style="font-size: 1pt;" unselectable="on" height="1">
</td></tr></tbody></table>

SamJohnston
02-14-07, 04:25 PM
My guidance counselor was going on and on about how It would ruin my life if I joined the Marines. Then he tried to convince me to join the coast guard, "it's much easier, they're stationed right here in Boston". I just laughed and walked away.

DWG
02-14-07, 04:43 PM
My guidance counselor was going on and on about how It would ruin my life if I joined the Marines. Then he tried to convince me to join the coast guard, "it's much easier, they're stationed right here in Boston". I just laughed and walked away.

I know you can't because of repercussions but; the best answer to the azzhole guidance counselor would have been "if I wanted easy I would have become an underachieving college education major who couldn't hack teaching and ended up as a 'guidance' counselor!"
Once you declare your choice of the military all a good counselor would do would be to advise you how to contact recruiters and, possibly, suggest you speak to all branches. Never a bad idea to check all options. But if the Corps is your choice they shouldn't be trying to convince you otherwise!
:evilgrin:

POOLEE-REYNOLDS
02-16-07, 01:58 AM

I got the same thing just with Airforce since I live pretty much on the air strip of Offut Air Force Base. I Laughed and said I will see you next school year and show you I ruined my life, cant wait to see his face.

poolee18
02-16-07, 10:02 AM
dude there just mad that youre doing somethin great and they dont have the chance do that which makes them want to stop any means necessary to stop you from goin i get it everyday and i just tell them there losers because they dont want come with me and tell them that the marine corps doesnt want them
ship date

OnceNothing
02-17-07, 09:41 AM
Semper Fi! Poolees!!!

MIKECHRY
02-17-07, 03:52 PM
My Son Is Getting The Same Crap From His Friends At School. One Moron Who Wants To Be An Army Ranger Has Been Calling My Son "beach Meat". Jealousy Has Many Forms. Stay The Course, Nothing Good In Life Ever Comes Easy.

OnceNothing
02-17-07, 11:30 PM
everyone wants to be an army ranger. just cuz they saw Black Hawk Down,
1/4 of them are truly dedicated and will make it, the other will end up as regs.

half them don't even know what the ranger motto is, and most will drop out in infantry school

OnceNothing
02-18-07, 12:18 AM
I would like to retract a previous statement on these boards as i did not read the rules before,

i posted a Semper Fi.
i do not rate that.

i appologize for not follow conduct.