PDA

View Full Version : Should we disband the UN?

LongShot
02-11-03, 11:00 AM
This is a question we have discussed before in other threads but I think we need to revisit it again.

I believe the UN has outlived its original purpose and has become a huge waste of time as well as a very large forum for bashing the USA. No issue brought before the UN as a whole or to the Security Counsel has been totally resolved for quite some time. No one can agree and no one, except Britian, ever votes with us. Russia, France and China routinely take turns vetoing resolution that may benefit the US. I say disband the UN, let countries negotiate their own problems and diferences, but warn them if their actions threaten US citizens or foriegn interests we will respond accordingly.

NamGrunt68
02-11-03, 11:11 AM
Sounds like a cracker jack idea to me bro !! Besides...that big ole building up there in NY would make a hell of a homeless shelter for Veterans !!!!

eddief
02-11-03, 11:15 AM
Rockefeller really screwed over the U.S. when he gave the land
to build that New World Order abomination. I say let's get the
hell out of the U.N. and kick all those career diplomats out of the
country. Let's turn the building into low cost housing for the poor.
That is a much better use for the building. Let's also ship all those
UN vehicles back to Europe, and every foreign soldier on our soil
back to their home country.

Kegler300
02-11-03, 12:02 PM
The U.N. has outlived its usefullness. We, the American taxpayer, pay all the bills to run the U.N. and keep it on our soil. I've got yet another novel idea - tell the U.N. that if it wants to stay, it has to pay its own way. No more tax dollars from Americans for a useless, irrelevant group of ignominious morons!:mad:

wrbones
02-11-03, 12:23 PM
Ignominious morons! That's a good way to describe them! Nicer than I would be, but it's fitting.

Danes project has my vote.

I'm with getting folks out of here that only want to screw us or have us screw ourselves as well.

The only impact the US has had on the UN for quite some time has been economically and militarily.

We lost any real influence on any vote long ago in the organization.

On the other hand, if we got them close, we can keep an eye on them.

Osotogary
02-11-03, 12:39 PM
I have a huge problem with the difference between theory and practice. This may have something to do with the rope that has been extended. (The analogy of giving enough rope for someone or some country to hang oneself = tons of chances) In theory,when practiced , the UN. is a necessary entity. When there is a UN without active solution based practice, in other words , just theory....I get uncomfortable. Even a patient man would have a problem with the lack of active solution based practice that is prevailent now a days in the UN. It's kind of like the street. Let me take your money until you decide to stop me from taking it. (Just a thought.) The US tax payers are getting the wienie. The UN is a pea poor excuse for a free lunch on Uncle Sam. That's my vent. I didn't mean to raise anyone's blood pressure. With a son in Kuwait, I don't need BS.
Gary

leroy8541
02-11-03, 05:05 PM
Screw the blue hatters I agree that big ole building would make a nice place for out of pocket Vets. but they would screw that up too!!

lurchenstein
02-16-03, 12:49 PM
Should send them a clear message (with translator if required).

Sparrowhawk
02-16-03, 12:55 PM
Invite them to the party!

All they do is get in the way. We didn't finish the job in Iraq last time because of the UN Security Council's guidelines.

Since delay's only helps state sponsored terrorism, Let's freeze their UN assets.

lurchenstein
02-16-03, 12:55 PM
Here's the Messenger.

BigCat
02-16-03, 01:10 PM
Yes...The UN should be disbanded or at least the USA should pull out of the UN. The UN (like labor unions) were a good idea at one time, but it's usefullness has been severely marginallized and it has become nothing more than a debate society. It's time has passed.

JChristin
02-16-03, 01:29 PM
The intent on which the UN was founded was for the collacteral security of member states in the event one member state attacks another member state. It was the post runner of the League of Nations, the dream child of President Woodrow Wilson following WWI; to ensure that no other wars would ever be fought again.

Senator Henry Cabot Lodge and his cronnies ensured that the League of Nations Treaty would not pass the senate, which it did not. Thereby paving the way for WWII and the hollow heads of those useless and brainless professional dipomats now taking up space that could better be served.

As far as I am concerned, each member state of that useless body, should pay an equal share of the expenses for the upkeep of that brainless organization. That means, if the expenses equal $100.00 and there are 100 member, then each member pays their equal share of $1.00. Since the United States pays for the majority of the operating costs and upkeep so those poor brainless children can gather and talk US American citizen down lower than the dirt, hey - let them pay for the right to enter our country to do so.

While we are at it, these other countries should also lose any aid the great United States of America is handing out to them. I bet these spoiled children of the United Nations would do a fast about face and stop the down talk about us and start purrrrring like the beggars they actually are.

That is my "big beef" for the day.

Semper fi
jchristin

Lock-n-Load
02-16-03, 02:09 PM
This lil Korean ditty actually happened 50 yrs ago by a FMF Marine I knew...Our FMF outfit had just concluded ...MARLEX-III...a joint fleet amphibious operation between elements of the 1st Marine Division FMF [Pacific] and Korean Marine Corps..we spent a miserable cold nite at the icy port of battered Inchon...a Marine had the "Japanese Splatters", as he always traveled now with a roll of toilet paper in his field jacket for relief...he got that awful urge again...and trotted off to the Head...overhanging the windy seawall...after his bowels moved for the hundredth time, he reached for the toilet paper,,,ohh, ohhh, he forgot it this time...what to do???...the icy wind was whistling Dixie up his ying-yang something fierce by now...he rapidly searched each pocket of his field jacket...up sh-t/creek without a paddle...no paper....wait a minute...what's this in his back dungaree pocket...it felt silky and he remembered it was a cheap souvenir he was saving from a long-lost liberty in Kobe, Japan..it was a silky powder blue United Nations flag.."Yeeeee-HaaaaaW"...he utilized it to perfection and wandered back to his sleepying bag..renewed...little did he know...he made history at that God-forsaken portcity...he was just a 50 year harbinger/ahead...of what faces his USA today in the United Nations in NYC....Semper Fi, MAC!!! :marine: :marine:

Alxnoel
02-16-03, 02:29 PM
United Nations is a joke has been for at least 30 years and the whole world is laughing no power no authority jusy a money sink for us to throw away our taxes. S/F

Rob Parry
02-16-03, 03:25 PM
I agree, the UN is outmoded, out of time and talk. What are the options. A US of A introspective and itroverted? Can't see that, there are already enough trade embargos to go around without that. A US of A acting unilaterally everytime the CiC gets a hard on about another country acting out of place? Smacks of 1984, and Big Brother.
Perhaps the whole lot needs rejigging, realign the priorities of the establishment, in line with todays realities. Even that trustworthy old dog NATO is out of kilter with the real world these days.
One word to describe what is missing, Leadership. Kofi Annan at the UN and George Robertson at NATO are completely out of their depth. You and I as grunts of the first high water, make more sense over a Bud than any of the time serving Jobsworth Politicians, it has always been so. But, how many of us would relinquish our independence in order to rectify the faults we so easily identify?

Barrio_rat
02-16-03, 04:13 PM
I read once...

The problem is, all the people who know what to do and could fix things are too busy driving taxi cabs and cutting hair.

Personally, I don't care if the UN building stays here (on our soil) or not. Though, I do think we should pull out of the UN and leave a 'representative' who does nothing more than observe and report to the president and his cabinet as to what the UN is doing. That he would be a go-between also for the UN to set up meetings with the president if the UN should ever need US support or help with some such matter. Basically, we would not have any vote and their votes would not matter to us. After reading through these posts, though, I got another idea. If the US is such a horrible place - kick 'em out. They can find a 'better' country to discuss world matters in. I figure, the UN should be where ever the elected leader of the UN is from.

Also, since Germany seems to think we are the greatest threat to world peace and the cause of all their social problems. Let's just get out of NATO while we're at it. Let 'em defend themselve from now on. How many troops, aircraft and weapons would they have on those bases if we pulled out of 90% of Europe? Hell, they wouldn't be able to defend themselves against the Tahitian Navy in thatch canoes!

If they really think we are the problem, we should just f'em and forget 'em.

I've heard many things over the years concerning the UN and it's power plays for dominance over the US - most of it 'under ground' and wholey unsubstanciated... I still try, now and then, to find out more info on these things. Some are definately true - but spin into exagerations or, at least, into areas that are difficult to confirm. Some of these are, the UN buying up US Government land - The attempts of the UN to make firearms of nearly any type illegal, world wide.. though they focus on the US a great deal because of our liberties and the biggest thorn, the 2nd Amendment - The questionaire that went out to Special Forces units of the US Military, one of the key questions on it asked if they would, while taking firearms from US Citizens, fire upon and take the lives of US Citizens... the response was not what was hoped for and, supposedly (here's where it goes askew), UN forces are training in door to door tactics for firearm confiscation within the US.

I don't necessarily believe this stuff - take it with a grain of salt. Then again, they wouldn't be all fired up to advertise such things either. I say, we are just better off without 'em. It's in OUR national interests to have nothing to do with and to save our tax payers money by staying out of the UN and NATO.

So, there's my rant...

Semper Fi!