PDA

View Full Version : Oliver North, Fox News treat 1/6 wives to luncheon

thedrifter
02-06-07, 02:27 PM
MARINE CORPS BASE CAMP LEJEUNE, N.C. (Feb. 6, 2007) -- “War Stories” host, Oliver North, and the Fox News Channel treated spouses of 1st Battalion, 6th Marine Regiment to a luncheon thanking them for their support in the filming of an episode at the Officer’s Club here.

The battalion is currently serving in Ramadi, Iraq in support of Operation Iraqi Freedom.

The episode of “War Stories” shows what it’s like for the Marines out in Iraq and also their spouses back home in the U.S. North, a former lieutenant colonel in the Marine Corps, explained the uniqueness of this episode.

“Though I’ve now been to Iraq eight times and Afghanistan twice with U.S. Forces, this is the first time we have been able to show the American people the parallel commitment being made by their families,” he said. “It was, for me, a vivid reminder of the true meaning of the Marine Corps motto ‘Semper Fidelis.’”

The luncheon, thrown at the conclusion of North’s visit to Camp Lejeune, was also a way for North and Fox News to show their appreciation for all the spouses’ sacrifices.

“Having left my family behind numerous times when I deployed from Camp Lejeune, I wanted to do something to honor the wives and the families of the Marines and sailors who had been so gracious and protected us on our most recent trip to Iraq,” North explained.

Many of the spouses invited Fox News into their homes for interviews and to show what it’s like without their loved ones at home. Sue Jurney, the wife of Lt. Col. Bill Jurney, the commanding officer of the battalion, said the experience was good for the spouses of the battalion.

“With the recent announcement that this deployment would be extended, it was nice timing for all of us to feel that our sacrifice here at home is not only acknowledged but appreciated,” Sue explained. “It was also a very generous gesture for Lt. Col North and Fox to host such a nice luncheon for us to honor our commitment and sacrifice.”

Toward the conclusion of the luncheon, North expressed his gratitude to the women supporting their Marines fighting in the Global War on Terrorism. He also explained what he and Fox News hope to accomplish as a result of this episode of “War Stories.”

“Our goal is to show the American people the remarkable young Americans we have serving in harm’s way and those who support, pray and wait for them at home,” he said. “I’m convinced that this unique episode of ‘War Stories’ does just that.”

“War Stories Iraq: The Homefront to the Frontlines” is scheduled to air on the Fox News Channel Feb. 11 at 10 p.m. EST.

Ellie