PDA

View Full Version : Dress blues for recruits may lead to overall shortage

thedrifter
02-06-07, 08:22 AM
Dress blues for recruits may lead to overall shortage

Uniforms to be added to seabags Oct. 1
By John Hoellwarth - Staff writer
Posted : February 12, 2007

Marines who wait until the last minute to buy dress blues for this year’s birthday ball may be staring at some empty racks come October. That’s because of the commandant’s plan to issue dress blues to every incoming recruit, which is expected to take effect Oct. 1, according to a uniform board spokeswoman.

At that point, the rest of the Corps will be “looking at a back-order situation,” Mary Boyt said.

You know you’re going to the ball, so if you don’t want to be that one guy in alphas, you “shouldn’t wait” to buy your blues, she said. Accessories for the dress blue uniform such as the white belt for men and the white barracks cover for women will likely be in short supply as well, Boyt said.

The Corps has only one manufacturer for the enlisted dress blues coat — Crown Clothing Company of Vineland, N.J. Recently, the company has produced about 30,000 a year, but that number is subject to change based on the contract. When the Corps starts issuing them in boot camp, “we’re looking at 40,000 dress blue coats for recruits and reservists alone,” Boyt said. “You throw in the active-duty population, and that’s a lot of dress blues.”

Crown Clothing owner Howard Levin said he’s aiming to ramp up production 30 percent and that he’s already hired 10 more employees for the factory floor.

His company was cranking out almost 90,000 dress blue coats a year to meet the Corps’ needs from 1989 to 1991, he said.

He’s still got all the equipment he needs in house to bring production up to that level again, he said. He just needs to hire and train more people to use that equipment.

“Like the Marines are looking for a few good men, we’re looking for a few good sewing machine operators,” he said. “Our plan is to meet all the requirements we have to.”

Commandant Gen. James Conway’s decision to issue dress blues at boot camp was one of the first he made upon taking the Corps’ reins in November, said his spokesman, Lt. Col. T.V. Johnson.

“The commandant is concerned that sometimes a Marine is only in that uniform in his boot camp photo and when he’s laid to rest,” Johnson said, adding that boot camp pictures are taken with blues coats cut in the back like hospital gowns for picture purposes only.

The dress blue uniform is widely recognizable, which makes it an important recruiting tool for the Corps, Johnson said.

“The type of folks we’re looking to bring into the Corps might be motivated by looking at that uniform,” he said.

Corps officials plan to follow up the addition of dress blues to recruits’ initial issue with a four-year window for Marines already in the fleet to buy their own uniforms before possession becomes mandatory, Boyt said. The uniform costs $153 for men if purchased through Marine Corps Community Services. The female uniform is $98.60.

For enlisted Marines who’ve already bought their blues, the commandant’s initiative means an increase in the amount of money they get each year to maintain their uniforms, though the exact amount has not been announced, Boyt said.

Officers’ dress blues are made from a different material by a different manufacturer, and their availability will not be affected by the commandant’s decision, Boyt said.

Ellie

hankhoffman
02-06-07, 04:12 PM
If the Dress Blues are the image that we want, then I think that issuing the Blues is a good idea. I think that the company that makes the Blues will see this as a way to make more money and will crank up the lines.

Quinbo
02-06-07, 04:54 PM
Something similar was tried in the 80's and there came a point where if you weren't on embassy duty or 8th and I you couldn't even buy a set.

The1stSgt
02-06-07, 08:07 PM
I think the popular image of a Marine in dress uniform is in Dress Blues.

I think all Marines should own a set of Dress Blues, and they should be issued in Recruit Training.

SkilletsUSMC
02-06-07, 08:20 PM
So am I going to be re-embursed for the set I bought, or am I SOL?

10thzodiac
02-06-07, 08:26 PM
Dress Blues was a factor why I joined, ironically I never owned a set. I could count on my hands how many Marines that I knew that owned them E-4 and below in my five years and three Marine Divisions, with fingers left over.

LoCapitano
02-06-07, 09:06 PM
So am I going to be re-embursed for the set I bought, or am I SOL?

I think its safe to say that we will be SOL

iamcloudlander
02-07-07, 12:31 AM
10thzodiac
I agree with you in almost 10 years in I didn't own a set either probably knew the same amout that did own them.
In my opinion it is just another unnecessary piece of baggage to be hauled around unless you happen to be at 8th and I. When did the Marines start giving money for uniform upkeeep? We had to out of our $26 (after taxes) pay our own laundry bills. Also how can they say that if you weren't issued blues in boot camp that you will have to go out and buy them at your expense? The only reason a Marine needs blues is for the birthday ball, boot camp graduation or to use as a burial uniform.

SkilletsUSMC
02-07-07, 01:09 AM
10thzodiac
I agree with you in almost 10 years in I didn't own a set either probably knew the same amout that did own them.
In my opinion it is just another unnecessary piece of baggage to be hauled around unless you happen to be at 8th and I. When did the Marines start giving money for uniform upkeeep? We had to out of our $26 (after taxes) pay our own laundry bills. Also how can they say that if you weren't issued blues in boot camp that you will have to go out and buy them at your expense? The only reason a Marine needs blues is for the birthday ball, boot camp graduation or to use as a burial uniform.

Id say it was for the mass quanities of cammies we have to buy. even the smallest rip makes them un serviceable even when sewn up. I must have 15-20 sets of cammies, not to mention all my other Uniforms, I have 10+ pairs of boots. BTW the clothing allowances is like $300 tops which is 2 sets of cammies, boots and nametapes, with covers... It wont cover the upkeep of all the otherstuff like Chucks and alphas....

FistFu68
02-07-07, 06:10 AM
:marine: F-EN~A~A PLATOON PHOTO WITH 'DEM DRESS BLUE'S,LIKE SOME OF THE OLD BREED;IS FRIGGING OUTSTANDING!!!S/F THAT~OOOHRAH :marine:

drumcorpssnare
02-07-07, 07:57 AM
While the true essence of all Marines is to be a combat rifleman, the image of the Corps is best portrayed with our Dress Blues. It is quite literally, the most recognized uniform in the world. I was issued two sets of Dress Blues because I was in the Drum & Bugle Corps, and wore the uniform frequently in the performance of my duties. I always stood just a little bit taller, when wearing my blues. But, I also wore them on liberty. There were times when that uniform got me free admission to an event, a free meal, and of course free drinks. Often times, the Dress Blues made me the "center of attention", in a gathering of people. And I can't remember how many times women would come up to me, and initiate a conversation....thanks to the best looking uniform ever.
I even remember a Marine who was at a Waikiki bar, after the Birthday Ball, in his Dress Blues... A sailor was givin' this Marine a bunch of grief over his uniform. Very calmly, the Marine removed his cover and white gloves. Then he unbuttoned the jacket, took it off, folded it carefully, and set it down. He then proceeded to kick the snot out of this 'swabbie'! Two minutes later, the Marine was back in full uniform...all squared-away, and the "center of attention.":D
drumcorpssnare:usmc:

FistFu68
02-07-07, 08:35 AM
:marine: USED TOO WEAR MINE,TO VISIT MY PAPA;AT NUMERIOUS U.S.ARMY BASE'S!MAN,I WALKED TALL!WITH MY JUMP WING'S,AND NUMERIOUS JOHN WAYNE MEDAL'S!WAS (NEVER DISRESPECTED)HELL I DON'T THINK I EVER HAD TO BUY A COCKTAIL OR A CIGAR...OOOHRAH~SEMPER~FIDELIS :usmc:

SgtM
02-07-07, 10:11 AM
10thzodiac

Not necessarily. When I was on I&I duty, we sometimes had to cover for reservists who did not have dress blues during Toys for Tots functions. I had 3 sets total. 1 I bought, and 2 were issued when I got my orders to I&I. I didn't have that uniform off that much from Sept - Dec. We were ALWAYS doing extra functions (TV, Radio, Malls, community events, color guards), and the requirement was blues. I was also part of the honor guard as a rifleman and bugler. Blues were a requirement there too. We kept a roster of all reservists with blues, and when someone couldn't make it, we filled in from the I&I staff. Being the junior Sgt on deck, I was usually the first to fill in. I was out in the public so much, I started being recognized by random people in the grocery store.

crate78
02-07-07, 08:52 PM
Maybe I've assimilated back into the Nebraska farm and ranch country a bit too much, but when I read the title to this thread the first thing that came to mind was, "What does recruits getting dress blues have to do with a shortage of overalls?"

Oh, well.

crate