PDA

View Full Version : Help me help a Vietnam Vet--this is very important!!

astoudenmire
02-05-07, 03:20 PM
Hi,My name is Alice. I am trying to help my ex-husband (a veteran) and still a good friend of mine (for 30 years now). His family has had him thrown into a mental ward and lied about him to have him committed. He is in the local hospital over a domestic dispute they started over money, and they have stated that "he was never in Vietnam - he is "living in his own world and lying". In the mental ward, he is not allowed very many priviledges, only to call me and ask me to get his Original Orders. His family has taken advantage of his mental state for years, always getting him to co-sign on loans, then they default on them and he has to pay. (And they pretend they don't understand why he gets angry with them!) They act like they are the victims. This, latest cruel treatment by his family is the last straw. He has veterans benefits (so he is obviously a veteran - or am I wrong). He is disabled. He is depending on me to bring his paperwork so he can prove to the judge that he was in fact a Vietnam Veteran, that he is not lying, but they are, that he is not delusional, and to try to get out of there before his family tries to take possession of the few things he has. He is afraid they are trying to get him declared mentally incompetent so they can manage his affairs - they would love to have his pension checks. I've never know such a greedy bunch, and I've know them for 30 years. He's been down and out for years now, just barely making it and is not in good health. He was living on a sailboat when Hurricane Katrina hit, and it was demolished. Now he has no where to go, except to pray that his family will take him in until he can get permanent housing. Although after this episode with his family, I am going to try to get him to move in with me and stay away from this horrible family. The last thing he needs is for his dignity to be taken away. He is a very proud Marine. I am having trouble deciphering these orders b/c of the abbreviations. He was in the "C" co 8th eng bn FORTRPS FMFLANT CAMP LEJEUNE, NC in October 1969 and again 11/'70. His Original Orders 11/1970 transfer him from "do" Dof D says "do", Report To says "do. The first page of the Original Orders (with his name on it) say MCO's 1300.8 (and others) apply to all pers tr o/s. MCO 1510.12 apply to all peers proceeding to West Pac IAW MCO 4650.30 for OP in RVN. Could someone please help decipher this so I will be able to understand what the papers say and to help him out of this terrible predicament? His court date is tomorrow morning and he has nothing to prove he is telling the truth except these papers. They (deputies) just came in the middle of the night, put him in handcuffs and hauled him off to the mental ward. He didn't even have time to get anything and they wouldn't even let him get his false teeth! I would be truly grateful if someone can help me help him. Thank you.Alice