PDA

View Full Version : Married With Children

miller36
02-05-07, 12:12 PM
Hi just wanted to know... I want to join the Marine Corps, but I have only one concern. I am married and have a child, and I was wondering how hard of challenge it is to be Marine, husband, and father all at the same time? Do you have any insight?

devildoghopeful
02-05-07, 12:17 PM
I'm not the right person to be answering this as I am not a Marine, but I believe that this has been discussed before, if you search for 'husband' or 'father' on the search bar, you'll probably find the thread. As I recall, it was generally agreed that it was better for mothers/fathers to not join; but hey, what do I know, I'm just a wannabe at the moment right?

Good luck in your decision,

Alex

Marine84
02-05-07, 12:38 PM
Oh God NOT another one!

wdbeck
02-05-07, 01:45 PM
I can tell you in all frankness (and experience) that being a married Marine with a child is about the most difficult challenge you will ever face.
Allow me to elaborate, please.
At the age of 32, I quit my job as a Pa. law enforcement officer - Chief of Police, no less - to reenlist in the ranks of the Marine Corps as a Corporal. I lost one stripe upon re-entry into the Corps. I had a wife and three young sons at the time.
After one year, I re-enlisted for a lat move into an MOS that required excessive travel and movement. My wife had to pack out our home by herself no less than five times while I was abroad.
As much as I loved my wife and family (and still do in our retirement) I had to constantly focus on my awareness in hostile environments, and constantly take care of my Marines and their needs - always putting my Marines and their families ahead of my own.
If you are lucky enough to have a wife who will raise your child on her own most of his or her life, without complaint, and you feel you can stay focused on your own welfare and safety, and that of your Marines, while in a hostile environment, and not worry about how your family is getting along without you, then you do as you will, if it is truly in your heart to become a U.S. Marine.
However, there is a very good reason for the well-known cliche, "If the Marine Corps wanted you to have a wife, they'd have issued you one."
Good luck with your decision!

SkilletsUSMC
02-05-07, 01:50 PM
Attention all Marines posting advice. As salty as you think you are, at one time you and every other Marine here was a civilain with loads of questions. A wannabe cannot search for a thread he/she had no clue existed, and even then, all it takes is to ask and awnser the question. This is an awsome resource for our poolees. Any poolee that ask a question and demonstrates a respectful attitude, deserves a good response. Remember these are the poolies that with a little bit of work, will take over our Corps and win the battles of the future. If you are getting burned out with the same old questions, then stop reading the threads.

SkilletsUSMC
02-05-07, 01:55 PM
Miller36...

This country may have forgotten what sacrifice means. Having a family can be difficult, but NOT impossible. Other generations of americans have walked away from families to be a part of something bigger. I for one encourage you to go for it.

sgt tony
02-06-07, 12:39 AM
I will say it can be done but it is not as easy as it is being a Civ. If the Marines is what you want and your wife is supportting you on this that makes it better. It will not be a picnic but it is a can do and it is all up to you.
I was single when I joined but after getting back from over the pond I got married and had 2 boys. They enjoy the time when I was home but it was hard when I was gone. Look at it this way say you was a truck driver and you was home almost all the time and then all of a sudden you was sent out and you drove from the North Ploe to the South Pole they would still miss you then. The big difference is you just might have bulletts comming at you.
Best luck of your decision. But remember you only get 1 chance to be a Marine.

miller36
02-06-07, 05:28 PM
Thank you for the advice. I was wondering which thread I can search for to get more information on this subject? Thanks again. :thumbup:

GI JOE
02-06-07, 07:08 PM
miller36 (member.php?u=39659)

I also will be leaving my Fiancé back home I dont have any kids but I also feel your pain but if she truly loves me she will support my choice and stand by my side as your women will stand by your side im sure.

mesaRAT488
02-06-07, 07:32 PM
You should look into the Reserves.....

Marine84
02-06-07, 08:09 PM
One thing you guys have to ALWAYS keep in mind - when the going gets tough between the 2 of you - REMEMBER it's HARDER being married to a Marine and that's always going to be where she's coming from. YOU will make a change as you become a Marine - the only thing she'll have to deal with is your changes and it's hard for a lot of women to do. It really depends on your women (the only thing a man HAS to do in a relationship is keep from being an a$$hole, buy diamonds and take out the trash - hahahaha ya'll know I'm kidding) as to whether things work or not - if it's unconditional, she'll follow you to the moon and back if that's what YOU want and she won't be happy with the MANY seperations that you'll have but she'll be there every time you come home. If it's "I like this flavor til......." thing, then you're in for a bumpy ride before it's over. YOU will have to adjust to being with your wife and child (ren) and not a bunch of ecentric (some are), smart to an extent to where they're insane in the membrane, drunk, rowdy, loveable, honorable (most), BEST bunch of guys and gals that ANYBODY could know. It ain't a frat party I'll tell ya that. There HAVE been wives that have stuck the rollercoaster ride out and I SALUTE them because they had to put up with the Corps too - women now especially.

As you've heard MANY of us say already - Marine Corps bootcamp is more mental - it carries out into the fleet too. Are you mentally ready to accept what you're about to go through?

Marine84
02-06-07, 08:11 PM
You should look into the Reserves.....

Reservists are being called to AD too