PDA

View Full Version : "Be Mine"

thedrifter
02-11-03, 07:07 AM
Article ran : 02/09/2003

Onslow County kids are saying 'Be Mine' to the troops overseas
By SUZANNE GROVER
DAILY NEWS STAFF

Children are sending their love in Valentine’s Day cards to the troops deployed.

Onlsow County school-age children are sending encouraging words, poetry and their gratitude for service through a program called “Valentines for Troops” developed by Carol Trott at Onslow County Parks and Recreation Department.

Trott came up with the idea on a Thursday, organized it on a Friday, and two weeks later she had several thousands of pieces of mail.

“It’s going great –– we’re very pleased,” she said as she prepared the cards last Friday afternoon to be sent to the Single Marine Program for shipping. “We’ve had so much fun just going through and reading all of them.”

The precious greetings, decorated with seashells, hearts, flags, glitter and little cutout animal pictures, will be sent to Marines deployed from the local bases.

“They’re all very creative,” Trott said about the cards. “And we’ve had so many come in. I just read a really cute one, and I’ve got so many I don’t know where I put it.”

Inscribed on small pieces of crate paper, foil and candy-colored papers were thoughts similar to one from a student at the Onslow County Developmental Day Center. It read, “Bears love honey, flowers love dew, bankers love money and I love you.” On the cover was a child’s finger-painted palm print.

The sentiments included in other cards were, “Thank you for serving our country — we love you,” “We’re with you all the way” and “Thank you for protecting us — I love you soldiers.”

Some kids drew Marines, tanks and guns while others drew peace signs and happy faces. One little boy’s card read, “I am very glad you and your buddies are there to protect us.”

Trott’s grateful to all the school teachers and after-school program leaders that encouraged their kids to create the cards, and gave credit to Patsy Schneider and Ranee Baldov for handling delivery. More than 30 schools participated and even some adults contributed.

Trott said she was delighted the program was a success, and is now working on an Easter card mailing called “Send a Little Sunshine.” She said hopefully by next Valentine’s Day our troops will be home. “But if they’re there, we’ll be glad to do it again,” she said.

“I think it’s wonderful because a lot of these children are effected by this deployment — some have parents who are gone and this is way for them to send their love. It makes the children feel special to send them,” she said. And for the troops she said, there’s something special about getting something homemade from home when you’re so far away.

Sempers,

Roger