PDA

View Full Version : Bears' Bravest Fans

thedrifter
02-05-07, 07:51 AM
BEARS' BRAVEST FANS

Adam Johnston and Jack Tackett watched the Bears in the Super Bowl on Sunday as fans did all over the world, but they had a unique perspective. The two Marines are stationed in Al Asad, Iraq, where sports is a temporary diversion.

Johnston, a corporal from Evanston, was born Sept. 1, 1986 -- about seven months after the Bears beat the New England Patriots in Super Bowl XX.

''I missed it the last time around, so I was going to make sure I watched it this time'' he said. ''We've got Internet connections here and TVs in the chow hall and rec center.

''The games usually come on real late at night or real early in the morning. The tempo never stops over here, so it's always nice to sit down, relax and watch the game when you can.''

Tackett is a staff sergeant from the North Side.

''I've been out here since the beginning of January,'' he said. ''So fortunately, I caught all the games this season, except the last [regular-season] one against the Packers. I guess it was good I didn't see that one.

''But it's been great, something to look forward to every week besides the daily routine.''

Tackett said games usually draw decent crowds.

''But there aren't a lot of Bears fans where we're at," he said. ''Everybody seems to be rooting against the Bears. I have no idea why.''

Ellie