PDA

View Full Version : Reservist Stations

CJA
02-04-07, 10:48 PM
First of all, let me just say I am joining the Marine Corps Reserves and have some questions. Yes I know I should contact my recruiter but I can't get a hold of him.

I am going to attend college in Brian (aka College Station), TX. I'm trying to do an 0311 contract, but I can't seem to find any Infantry training stations anywhere near the city. I did find this, in Austin, TX:

<TABLE cellSpacing=5 cellPadding=5 width=575 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top align=left>Austin

</TD><TD vAlign=top align=left> </TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top align=left>
Weapons Company, 1st Battalion, 23rd Marines, 4thMarDiv (http://www.mfr.usmc.mil/4thmardiv/23dmar/1stbn/wpnsco)

Now I don't exactly know what Weapons Company is, maybe yall could inform me, but I'm worried I may not be able to get an 0311 contract.

Could anyone shine some light on my situation?

Thanks
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

SkilletsUSMC
02-04-07, 11:14 PM
First of all, let me just say I am joining the Marine Corps Reserves and have some questions. Yes I know I should contact my recruiter but I can't get a hold of him.

I am going to attend college in Brian (aka College Station), TX. I'm trying to do an 0311 contract, but I can't seem to find any Infantry training stations anywhere near the city. I did find this, in Austin, TX:

<TABLE cellSpacing=5 cellPadding=5 width=575 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top align=left>Austin

</TD><TD vAlign=top align=left></TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top align=left>
Weapons Company, 1st Battalion, 23rd Marines, 4thMarDiv (http://www.mfr.usmc.mil/4thmardiv/23dmar/1stbn/wpnsco)

Now I don't exactly know what Weapons Company is, maybe yall could inform me, but I'm worried I may not be able to get an 0311 contract.

Could anyone shine some light on my situation?

Thanks

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Weapons company is where the Marines who opperate the bigger crew served weapons go Like the 81mm mortar, 50cal M2, TOW missles ect... In Iraq, they will become "MAP" platoons and drive arround in humvees all the time

You will not be an 0311, but its not bad. Its still the infantry. Most weapons Marines are very very proud of their MOS.

Echo_Four_Bravo
02-05-07, 12:49 AM
Funny, I always thought it was Bryan, but that is another story.

The reserve units work a little different. All the TOW gunners are in Oklahoma, so that won't be your eventual MOS either. Looks like your best bet is to be a machine gunner. You'll have a good time with that, and you will get to ride quite often.

killerinstinct
02-05-07, 09:03 AM
when you do drills you get paid to travel go for what you want man

CJA
02-05-07, 05:23 PM
Killer, are you saying that I could pretty much take any MOS and they'd fly me out to a reservist station? Or am I assuming too much?

CJA
02-05-07, 05:36 PM
Funny, I always thought it was Bryan, but that is another story.

The reserve units work a little different. All the TOW gunners are in Oklahoma, so that won't be your eventual MOS either. Looks like your best bet is to be a machine gunner. You'll have a good time with that, and you will get to ride quite often.

I will get to ride in what? Humvee's?

SkilletsUSMC
02-05-07, 05:52 PM
I will get to ride in what? Humvee's?

No you get to ride segways...http://www.segway.com/images/2006_new/models/products.jpg:D

CJA
02-05-07, 06:08 PM
Hahaha the new wave of Marine Infantry huh

Echo_Four_Bravo
02-05-07, 06:37 PM
Yes, weapons co. tends to spend much more time mounted than in days gone by.

When I did my short stint in the reserves, they did not pay for travel costs. They did pay for lodging near the reserve center is lived more than 50 miles away.

LoCapitano
02-05-07, 09:08 PM
Question.. Is there a way to see all the reservist stations that have my mos?

hoytarcher45
02-05-07, 10:30 PM
when you do drills you get paid to travel go for what you want man

haha thats funny....i drive three hours and back to drill every month and I dont see an extra dime.

Echo_Four_Bravo
02-05-07, 11:11 PM
It used to be in the reserve guidebook. I don't know if it still is or not.

PerXes
02-06-07, 04:43 PM
LoCapitano, the only thing I know about as far as browsing Reserve Units is at http://www.marforres.usmc.mil/Units/ I think it's by location, though.

As for getting flown to your reserve unit...I really doubt they'd go for that. The rule is, you have to be within 100 miles of the station, unless you have a waiver. If you live more than 50 miles away, you'll get reimbursed for travel, and can get billeting(a hotel room), but I'd be willing to be money you won't get reiumbursed for a plane ticket.

CJA
02-06-07, 05:07 PM
Yeah, I will have to find out what I'm going to be able to do.

Is anyone on these boards a reservist? How do you like it?

PerXes
02-06-07, 08:45 PM
I'm a Reservist. It's great.

CJA
02-06-07, 09:48 PM
Have you been activated yet?

PerXes
02-06-07, 09:57 PM
Negative. My unit just got back shortly before I got there. Some of them are over there as volunteers, but word has it we'll be going later this year.

CJA
02-06-07, 10:21 PM
What's your MOS?

PerXes
02-07-07, 12:12 PM
Combat Engineer.