PDA

View Full Version : Some advice needed

ja98
02-03-07, 10:14 PM
I am 27 years old and have dreamed of serving my country in the Marines active duty. I am now in the Sheriff academy and wondering If im making the rite career choice. I know I can only decide whats best but has anyone gave up a good paying job for the Marines? Or does this seem like a bad decision considering joining later then most? Im married w/no kids and my wife supports whatever decision I make.

HardJedi
02-03-07, 10:28 PM
its not the time of life, its the marriage that should cause you to REALLY think about it.

as for giving up good paying jobs? that should make no difference at all. we do not serve in the military for money,

If you feel the need to serve, then do it.

thats my advice.

rvillac2
02-04-07, 12:21 AM
You're going to find that serving your community as a deputy can be just as rewarding. It will also be less hazardous to your health.

Marine84
02-04-07, 08:17 AM
It ALL depends on what's good for YOU! At 27, going through Marine Corps bootcamp can be tougher for you than most - not neccessarily the physical part but, you'll be way older than the average Joe already - a lot of times you'll catch yourself thinking "why am I here playing with these kids?"

Beside...............working for the Sheriff's Dept, you'll have more leeway with a weapon than you will being a Marine anyway- HAHAHAHAHAHA!

cplbrooks
02-04-07, 09:13 AM
I am 27 years old and have dreamed of serving my country in the Marines active duty. I am now in the Sheriff academy and wondering If im making the rite career choice. I know I can only decide whats best but has anyone gave up a good paying job for the Marines? Or does this seem like a bad decision considering joining later then most? Im married w/no kids and my wife supports whatever decision I make.

You can do both. Why not talk to your local recruiter about the Marine Corps Reserves? If you do it you will be granted a military leave of absense from your job (by law). Both positions will support the other. I would be willing to bet there are others in the police department where you work who are former Marines. Do it.

SkilletsUSMC
02-04-07, 10:43 AM
Beside...............working for the Sheriff's Dept, you'll have more leeway with a weapon than you will being a Marine anyway- HAHAHAHAHAHA!

How do you figure that? Ive never seen a cop go ground... grill... grape. Most cops never have to fire their weapons at all.

Marine84
02-04-07, 05:27 PM
Most cops never have to fire their weapons at all

Obviously you've never lived in Atlanta - the county that I live in alone has had more police shootings than you guys have killed insurgents! :p They shoot if they mistake somebody's FINGER for a weapon of some sort. At this point I would be more afraid of the cops around here than a Marine :p

SkilletsUSMC
02-04-07, 05:59 PM
I have been to Atlanta, and I have been to Iraq. Atlanta is like disneyland to Iraq. When you see the Cops saw someone on half with a SAW, then we'll talk.

iamcloudlander
02-04-07, 07:27 PM
Obviously you've never lived in Atlanta - the county that I live in alone has had more police shootings than you guys have killed insurgents! They shoot if they mistake somebody's FINGER for a weapon of some sort. At this point I would be more afraid of the cops around here than a Marine
I didn't think that there was another place in this country where the police depts do what ours do here in Bakersfield, Ca. the other police dept send their criminals here as they know once they are here our cops will kill them. At a traffic stop the other night a black man got out of his car and the deputy started shooting with no warnings he fired 9 rounds and did not hit him one time,although he did put a few rounds through a mans house almost hitting him and his baby. According to the shooting board he did nothing wrong and was put back on duty. Our swat team looks like Marine Snipers with the all the same camoflauged gear and assualt weapons (this to go against a person armed with a knife) A few years ago a deputy sniper shot a female cause she was pointing a gun at her own head and he said he was "feared" for his life even though he was over a hundred feet away laying behind a pile of dirt. They made a van look like swiss cheese with hundreds of rounds fired into it and didn't even hit the driver (sent from Los Angeles by the cops)
We spend a lot of money on ammuniton for our cops as none of them can hit anything except paper targets which they have to requal every 90 days.
So if you want to be like a Marine when you finish the LA academy come north about 100 miles and be a member of the Kern County combat squad.

Echo_Four_Bravo
02-04-07, 08:14 PM
Clearly iamcludlander is talking in jest, and I am trying not to let it offend me. I happen to know several Atlanta PD officers (amazingly, many of them are Marines as well) and they are a fine, professional, police force that does not deserve this type of treatment.

Further, the men and women currently in harmsway should not be insulted by someone saying it is more dangerous to be in the US. Clearly you have some issues with law enforcement, but there is no need for this type of post.

Marine84
02-05-07, 08:07 AM
I don't know HOW or WHERE this thing got hijacked - maybe my sarcasm didn't come through as intended.

I would NEVER compare the life of a cop to the life of a Marine in Iraq - there IS no comparison - the cop gets to go home every night. When I said that he would have more leeway with a weapon as a cop - I was thinking about this case here in town now. APD (tell your boys "good job" for me E4B) busted into this old lady's house because they claimed she was selling drugs (case of the wrong address). They had a "no knock" warrant - they busted her door down, scared the bejesus out of her - she fired off 1 shot and they fired off over 100 (but they ONLY hit her 6 times!). They're trying to get a narc to lie about buying drugs from that house - it's a REALLY big mess AND, chances are, there probably won't be a dang thing happen to them except a slap on the wrist. I know of a few Marines that are sitting in jail right now for killing an Iraqi AND will probably serve time for it. Kind of ironic, don't you think?

So, you grunts can unruffle your tail feathers and BACK OFF!

MotivatorOfTheGuard
02-05-07, 08:11 AM
ja98, Here is something also for you to consider, a large population of Marines get out after their four years, to become law enforcment operators...however, there isn't anything that can top being able to say, i am a United States Marine. Both past, and present Marines feel this way. For all the hard times there can be in the Marine Corps, I shame to think of who i'd be or where i'd be without it. It's been the best thing in my life, as well as the hardest. As i don't know enough about being a Civilian Cop i will not attempt to sound like i do, i will just say this. I believe that what our law enforcment does is a great thing. The majority of them, as there obviously are those who do not walk on the right side of the tracks.

Honor is a gift that only man can give himself, the only question, how do you wish to find your honor?

Marine84
02-05-07, 08:18 AM
I happen to know several Atlanta PD officers (amazingly, many of them are Marines as well) and they are a fine, professional, police force that does not deserve this type of treatment.

Don't get me wrong - I KNOW there are a lot of good ones too and, for the biggest part, they do an outstanding job. Some of them are a little trigger happy though. In Dekalb Co where I live - they're worse than APD about this kind of stuff. They're shooting folks that are TOTALLY unarmed - claiming to have seen what they thought was a weapon. Sounds like a few of them need glasses worse than a weapon.

killerinstinct
02-05-07, 08:27 AM

was talking to a friend and what came up is a few things.

1. the pay sucks in the Marine Corps

2. 13th, 14th, 29th, 30th every one uses the chow hall

3. it's legal to kill when told to do so

4. when deployed or transfered movers move and store your ****

5. ya get to make things blow the **** up!!

Any questions?? It's a nice nice job. Im sure that overrides anything available in the civilian life:banana: